Bergesen optioned to Triple A

birdsfan4ever

I think this quote from Trembley really says it all with respect to the Orioles' reasoning:

http://masnsports.com/2009/03/more-pre-game-notes.html

I think we as fans are just going to have to accept the fact that the O's are going to bend over backwards to make the prospects jump through all the hoops before they are brought up. I would have given Bergesen a spot, but I'm willing to give the O's the benefit of the doubt so long as we don't have to wait all year to see better pitchers replace guys who don't perfom at the big league level.

So prospects or former prospects out of options deserve roster spots over guys that do have options despite their performance?

That's the message the Orioles are sending and it's not a good one.

Pie didn't have to jump through any hoops to be the Orioles LFer.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There were obvioulsy other factors that went into that decision. If you think that decision was soley based on his ST stats you are wrong.

There was nobody in Baltimore who was blocking Markakis, who did we have Matos, Bigbie?

Pie is a much better player and has much more potential than those guys who were in front of Markakis back in 06.

You are forgetting about Jay Gibbons who was the default RFer.

I can't believe I've reduced myself to arguing over meaningless minor league stats with someone like you. (NOTE: not saying minor league stats are meaningless - only the ones you are using here.)

That last personal shot really emphasized your point...

Sorry you had to "reduce" yourself...

And my point with Bergesen is that he's been throwing CGs at each level, so why won't he do it in the majors as well? The way he pitches, he uses few pitches, doesn't walk a ton of people, relies on his defense as he pitches to contact and gets groundballs. Scott Erickson pitched very similar. Isn't that what we want on the ML squad right now?

All of these stats prove the same thing as 11.2 spring training innings - little or nothing.

By the way, you may want to check your facts. Eaton threw a shutout in 2000 in AA. Not that really means anything. Eaton's career MiLB WHIP was 1.36. Hendrickson only had one CG in the minor, but you failed to mention his 5 CG and 2 SHOs as a major leaguer for some reason (I wonder why :rolleyes:).

If you want to define an innings eater - look at IP/Start or TBF/Start.

One other thing, when looking at minor league stats it helps to use context. 31% of Bergesen's minor league innings have come at AA or AAA, compared to 43% for Eaton and 72% for Hendrickson.

I can't believe I've reduced myself to arguing over meaningless minor league stats with someone like you. (NOTE: not saying minor league stats are meaningless - only the ones you are using here.)

I'm actually enjoying an argument about CGs. Hopefully this leads into minor league GWRBI between Reimold and Pie.

So prospects or former prospects out of options deserve roster spots over guys that do have options despite their performance?

That's the message the Orioles are sending and it's not a good one.

Pie didn't have to jump through any hoops to be the Orioles LFer.

Pie has played extensively at AAA, unlike Reimold or Bergesen. And he's out of options. It's just a different situation and that's reality.

I don't doubt that Bergesen will get his chance this year. I already said he'll get 10+ starts and the fact that he's been optioned doesn't change my opinion.

I completely feel like the rotation was so bad last year that the have left all of the pitching rotation decisions up to Trembley and Kranitz. I am feeling terrible about our rotation and hope Penn and Simon make the rotation so we can have some young arms pitching for a 80 plus loss team. Simon is my dark horse because he is in mid season form and seems like the perfect person to put in until Hill gets back then make a decision

Wow, what a mature response. :rolleyes:

So how come you ignored all the stories and quotes about how hard Pie has worked in ST?

Because quite frankly, the results haven't shown, that's why.

And the "mature" response was justified IMO. But I'm sure you'll want to argue that too.

Keep Pie up here and play him in LF. Don't drop him if he doesn't perform, he needs to get a full season under his belt.

Get rid of the 13 man pitching staff idea.

Bring up Reimold to be a LF, DH, PH replacement (he can get about 300-400 AB)

Scott is the primary DH and also can backup LF on occasion. Look to trade him, and make Reimold your #1 DH.

When/if Scott is traded, call up Montanez to be the LF, DH, PH replacement that Reimold was.

Pie has played extensively at AAA, unlike Reimold or Bergesen. And he's out of options. It's just a different situation and that's reality.

I don't doubt that Bergesen will get his chance this year. I already said he'll get 10+ starts and the fact that he's been optioned doesn't change my opinion.

Ah, AAA, where the Orioles consistently stock the roster there with has beens and never weres.

At least for once, that will change.

Ah, AAA, where the Orioles consistently stock the roster there with has beens and never weres.

At least for once, that will change.

....or never given the chances. But we gave guys like Payton ridiculous contracts and chances instead of them. Smart decisions, O's. Glad that hasn't happened recently!

Here's what Pie said when he was traded:

"I had the opportunity to play every day in the minors, and everybody knew me in the minors," Pie said. "In the big leagues, it was a little different. It was up and down and up and down, and I didn't get a chance to show people that I can play every day and I can be a superstar. Now, I can show everybody what they are getting from me."

Sounds like he's a little full of himself, unlike Reimold and Montanez who have been very humble. Adam Jones wasn't saying these things when he came into camp. Even Matt Wieters himself isn't talking like this when he has every reason to.

Pie isn't showing me that he can be a superstar, just that he can talk like one. And the only reason he's got a spot is because he's MacPhail's pet project. He hasn't earned it like Reimold and Montanez.

Keep Pie up here and play him in LF. Don't drop him if he doesn't perform, he needs to get a full season under his belt.

Get rid of the 13 man pitching staff idea.

Bring up Reimold to be a LF, DH, PH replacement (he can get about 300-400 AB)

Scott is the primary DH and also can backup LF on occasion. Look to trade him, and make Reimold your #1 DH.

When/if Scott is traded, call up Montanez to be the LF, DH, PH replacement that Reimold was.

You fail at understanding what is at stake with the 25th player.

It is either a 13th pitcher or a back-up INF, not an OF.

We already have Markakis/Jones/Pie/Scott/Freel for the OF. We don't need to add a 6th player to that.

You let Reimold get consistent playing time on top of that. He wouldn't get that here.

And the only reason he's got a spot is because he's MacPhail's pet project.

Not to mention he has a little upside. He was the Cubs #1 prospect, what, two years ago? I'd say that equates to a bit more than just a "pet project"

Archived