Bergesen optioned to Triple A

birdsfan4ever

No I don't agree with every criticism, just this one. I think he's right.

And why should they earn their way in Norfolk when they earned it in ST? Isn't that the point in ST?

I can see keeping Tillman, Arrieta, Matusz, and even Wieters down, to a certain extent. But Reimold and Bergesen, no. Reimold won the job fair and square (with Montanez running a close second), and Bergesen pitched well and did everything that was asked of him.

Pie shouldn't get a handout, and neither should Eaton. It's pathetic when no one else would take Eaton at all, and then not only do we take him, but we're going to put him in the middle of our rotation over a guy who pitched pretty solidly all spring and won a spot in my eyes.

Pie on the other hand didn't even get to camp on time, has hit poorly, apparently did nothing over the winter to get any better, as opposed to Montanez, who busted his butt to make himself a better outfielder defensively, has hit well, etc. To me it's a slap in the face from the organization. It shows hard work doesn't always reward you with what you deserve.

It's nice to see that being the professionals they are, that Bergesen and Reimold took their assignments with a grain of salt and will work even harder. Kudos to them. Boo to the Orioles brass.

Rant over.

Will you agree that if you can keep them all it's best?

The organization needs to see what Pie can do and since he is out of options, they can't send him down. Besides, it's time for him to get a chance to start everyday in the major leagues and since the Orioles are not going to contend, it might as well be this year. If he's terrible by late June-early July, then try to pass him through waivers and bring up Montanez or Reimold. Why risk losing a guy with potential when we will still have Montanez and Reimold in the organization regardless?

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It shows hard work doesn't always reward you with what you deserve.

It's nice to see that being the professionals they are, that Bergesen and Reimold took their assignments with a grain of salt and will work even harder. Kudos to them. Boo to the Orioles brass.

Rant over.

Exactly. Doing what the Orioles are doing and have done over the past couple of years is detrimental. It's almost like they knock them down to see if they can get back up again. Why take away confidence that a player has got in their abilities by allowing people that performed worse than them to take their roster spot? The whole point is to build these guys up, not tear them down...

Why risk losing a guy with potential when we will still have Montanez and Reimold in the organization regardless?

Because he has done nothing to earn his roster spot, while Reimold and Montanez have. Pie was basically given the LF job despite his performance, while you have two guys that have toiled in the Orioles system that have played better and worked their butt off to improve and win a job. Now an outsider comes in and plays worse and wins the job? Why did they even bother to show up? It's moves like that that can hurt a player's morale and confidence.

Pie should have had to compete for the LF job. What makes him earn a spot over those two?

How?

By averaging a little over 6-1/3 IP per start in AA? I wonder what that equates to in MLB. Hint: not 6-1/3 IP.

Eaton has averaged a little over 5-2/3 IP start against MLB hitters.

Even Hendrickson has averaged right at 5-2/3 IP per start.

We're talking a difference of two outs per start (or 2to 3 batters faced).

Bergesen threw 3 CGs and 2 CG SOs in the minors last season and has 6 complete games total. Eaton has never thrown a CG SO in the majors or minors and only has 4 CGs in the minors, while Hendrickson only had 2 CGs in the minors.

Adam Eaton's minor league WHIP -1.42

Mark Hendrickson's minor league WHIP - 1.37

Brad Bergesen's minor league WHIP - 1.24

Because he has done nothing to earn his roster spot, while Reimold and Montanez have. Pie was basically given the LF job despite his performance, while you have two guys that have toiled in the Orioles system that have played better and worked their butt off to improve and win a job. Now an outsider comes in and plays worse and wins the job? Why did they even bother to show up? It's moves like that that can hurt a player's morale and confidence.

Pie should have had to compete for the LF job. What makes him earn a spot over those two?

So let's ignore all of a player's upside and track record and make roster decisions based on 20 or so ST at-bats.

That's a great strategy JT, you're gonna build a lot of winners that way.:rolleyes:

I believe Pie had pretty darn good reasons for not getting there in time. How do you know he did nothing to get better? How do you know that Montanez busted his butt to get better defensively? You're wrong, it doesn't show any of that.

This was how I know Montanez busted his butt:

http://masnsports.com/2009/03/no-game-today-more-on-montanez.html

I'm surprised you and your mouth didn't read it already.

I think this quote from Trembley really says it all with respect to the Orioles' reasoning:

Trembley understands that a large portion of the fan base would prefer seeing Brad Bergesen or one of the other pitching prospects on the mound every five days.

"Andy (MacPhail) has been very clear," Trembley said. "We know what we've got, but let's be patient. Let's not get these guys here just because we need them. Let's get them here when they're ready. And I think that needs to be amplified to all of us who love the Orioles and want to see good things happen to them.

"Heck, if that was the case, I would have kept (Jake) Arrieta."

http://masnsports.com/2009/03/more-pre-game-notes.html

I think we as fans are just going to have to accept the fact that the O's are going to bend over backwards to make the prospects jump through all the hoops before they are brought up. I would have given Bergesen a spot, but I'm willing to give the O's the benefit of the doubt so long as we don't have to wait all year to see better pitchers replace guys who don't perfom at the big league level.

I think this quote from Trembley really says it all with respect to the Orioles' reasoning:

I think we as fans are just going to have to accept the fact that the O's are going to bend over backwards to make the prospects jump through all the hoops before they are brought up. I would have given Bergesen a spot, but I'm willing to give the O's the benefit of the doubt so long as we don't have to wait all year to see better pitchers replace guys who don't perfom at the big league level.

Sounds like Trembely is very high on Arrieta.

Nah. SOP on message boards for this scenario is that by stupidly sending him down after a good spring, we destroyed his confidence and discouraged him from thinking he could ever advance. Some people still say that about Pickering. Must have been extremely discouraging, considering his subsequent career.

Hey...look everyone! We're in the presence of a message board expert! :rolleyes:

Well, I question...why do they think Brad Bergesen is not ready?

It was done with Markakis wasn't it?

There were obvioulsy other factors that went into that decision. If you think that decision was soley based on his ST stats you are wrong.

There was nobody in Baltimore who was blocking Markakis, who did we have Matos, Bigbie?

Pie is a much better player and has much more potential than those guys who were in front of Markakis back in 06.

Well, I question...why do they think Brad Bergesen is not ready?

He has two pitches and has been rather hittable this spring. It just has not translated into runs. Kind of like how Garrett Olsen's initial outings. I was actually criticized when I mentioned how he had been lucky and was about to get rocked. Then . . . he got rocked. I have not gone through the batted ball data on Bergesen, but I imagine there were some issues there that identified that he really needed to work on a third pitch so he could last as a starter. Right now, I think he would be fine as a situational reliever or some form of middle relief. At Norfolk, he'll be given a better opportunity to work on his repertoire. Needless to say, his inclusion on the OD roster does not really affect our overall record much at all this season.

Archived