Bring up Mayo already!!

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Is the bat upside worth sending down a player/trading Urias for 45 games? That’s the question. 

For all the Orioles inconsistent offense lately they still lead the AL in runs scored.  

I don't understand how that is a question. Clearly Mayo is an upgrade on Urias. There is no world where Urias' "elite" defense (quite a game on Tuesday) is a greater value than Mayo's bat. And he is cheaper. This is purely a timing/trade situation IMO.

Urias will be traded or DFAd/traded. He won't be on the roster on August 1, and Mayo replaces him. Considering where we are in the standings, it makes sense not to rush things...Does it matter if Mayo is up today or in 3 weeks? Answer is no. We are still going to the playoffs, and by that point I expect he will be a lethal bat in our postseason arsenal. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

1) If you use Mountcastle to get pitching, which is my goal, I think we end up a better team.

2) I don’t assume that about Mayo at all…but I want him up here now (well a month ago) to acclimate himself and get going.  I do think he will eventually hit and his RH power and OBP combo is needed here 

He still hits Lefties even when struggling.  If we trade him away then we have to acquire a bat to do the same thing.  The only other RH bat we have in the system after Mayo is Norby.  Mounty should be moved or non tendered this upcoming offseason though.  

In theory a consolidation trade of bats for pitching sounds great.  I can't fault the logic.  

1 hour ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

I think it’s both. If they wait to the trade deadline, it’s only two more weeks to preserve his rookie status - they could trade Urias or somebody else at the trade deadline to make space and have Norby or somebody else around for a couple weeks. 

Which is why I’d prefer to see them get creative with making temporary space now, move somebody before or at the deadline, forget about Mayo’s rookie status, and get Mayo more time to contribute this year and get acclimated before the playoffs. But if they were going to do that it would have been this week. I think that ship has probably sailed, front offices are focusing on the draft and then it will be the trade deadline. 

I don't see a need to preserve his rookie status. We can't have two ROY and Holliday will go into 2025 as the odds on favorite.

8 minutes ago, 1fingerwillie said:

I don't understand how that is a question. Clearly Mayo is an upgrade on Urias. There is no world where Urias' "elite" defense (quite a game on Tuesday) is a greater value than Mayo's bat. And he is cheaper. This is purely a timing/trade situation IMO.

Urias will be traded or DFAd/traded. He won't be on the roster on August 1, and Mayo replaces him. Considering where we are in the standings, it makes sense not to rush things...Does it matter if Mayo is up today or in 3 weeks? Answer is no. We are still going to the playoffs, and by that point I expect he will be a lethal bat in our postseason arsenal. 

He clearly isn’t an upgrade immediately. That’s not how this works.

Regardless of if they move Urias, Mayo is an option and will be later on. He’s not going anywhere. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

1) If you use Mountcastle to get pitching, which is my goal, I think we end up a better team.

2) I don’t assume that about Mayo at all…but I want him up here now (well a month ago) to acclimate himself and get going.  I do think he will eventually hit and his RH power and OBP combo is needed here 

1) You are assuming a team who is dealing quality pitching would want 2 years of Ryan. If a team could acquire him for expiring assets they would do that. I’m not sure the Orioles would agree. If the Tigers are dealing Skubal they are taking a major short term hit. Their odds of contending the next 2 years drop significantly. 

2) I’m not worried about getting him acclimated when more than likely his role this year will be hitting mainly LHP. The focus is on the 2024 Orioles. 

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

1) You are assuming a team who is dealing quality pitching would want 2 years of Ryan. If a team could acquire him for expiring assets they would do that. I’m not sure the Orioles would agree. If the Tigers are dealing Skubal they are taking a major short term hit. Their odds of contending the next 2 years drop significantly. 

2) I’m not worried about getting him acclimated when more than likely his role this year will be hitting mainly LHP. The focus is on the 2024 Orioles. 

1) I’m not assuming anything at all. I never said trade Mounty for whatever you can get, which is something I would do for Urias and maybe Hays. I said to trade Mounty in the right deal. If that deal isn’t there, I wait until the offseason.

2) right which is why I want the better player here.

39 minutes ago, 1fingerwillie said:

I don't see a need to preserve his rookie status. We can't have two ROY and Holliday will go into 2025 as the odds on favorite.

We gotta try and win the WS this year while we have Burnes.  The ROY is too much to consider.  

Mayo has done too much, and has too much potential for this season, to not call him up.  If we trade Urias, and Mayo fails, we can turn to Holliday.  

These are once in a generation type options.  Risk mitigation is great, but if you are afraid to call up these two prospects then you might as well trade them.  

39 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

1) I’m not assuming anything at all. I never said trade Mounty for whatever you can get, which is something I would do for Urias and maybe Hays. I said to trade Mounty in the right deal. If that deal isn’t there, I wait until the offseason.

2) right which is why I want the better player here.

Why would you think about trading Hays for "whatever you can get"? This team is hurting for right-handed hitting outfielders, Hays is hitting .362 with a .955 OPS vs lefties this year and he plays a decent LF in a tough ballpark. Since he came back in mid-May, he is hitting .340 with a .953 OPS overall. You are already generally having to play one lefty outfielder vs LHP. Going to two would not be helpful. You are also likely to lose Santander for next year, so the problem of left-handed imbalance just gets worse.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We gotta try and win the WS this year while we have Burnes.  The ROY is too much to consider.  

Mayo has done too much, and has too much potential for this season, to not call him up.  If we trade Urias, and Mayo fails, we can turn to Holliday.  

These are once in a generation type options.  Risk mitigation is great, but if you are afraid to call up these two prospects then you might as well trade them.  

This seems like the right answer. You can give Mayo a shot now, and if he struggles given a fair shot, then hopefully Holliday will be healthy and in some sort of a groove in a month or so. If they both flame out this year and aren't ready to help you in October, then you can settle for Mateo / Norby at 2B and maybe hope you catch Mateo on one his little runs. You have to at least try something to fill that hole. What you have now should just be the fall-back option.

Mayo also gives you the ability to take out a left-handed bat vs LHP (or take McCann out of the lineup) if you DH him and play Mateo at 2B vs lefties. Vs RHP, you need to somehow get better production than what Mateo/Urias are giving you.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dtk9119 said:

Priorities!! Send Tate down and bring up another Elias reclamation project pitcher instead of Mayo today. That's gonna help the anemic offense!!

Bruh, every team's offense is anemic this year.  We're 1st or 2nd in a boatload of offensive categories, so that makes us one of the least anemic.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Agree completely. Mayo now...Holliday in late August. Win the WS...Holliday ROY 2025...Basallo ROY 2026.

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Mountcastle is a first baseman with a .768 OPS which is in line with his career average. How valuable do you think he is ? He does have 3 years more of control.

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Mountcastle is a first baseman with a .768 OPS which is in line with his career average. How valuable do you think he is ? He does have 3 years more of control.

I’m not dismissing you… I just think we’re stuck with Mounty and Hays. They are worth more to us vs LHP than they would bring back in a trade. We’ll see what the offseason brings. 

Urias is complicating things because he has like a .890 OPS over the last 45 days. Hard to imagine right?  But he can’t hit LHP. 

Mayo has been playing 1B. 

Elias needs to find a spot for his bat.