Bring up Mayo already!!

54 minutes ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

No, the pressure of trying to get a run when men are in scoring position.  This team is the anti-Edddiieeee team, players who freeze up when things get tight.

You sound like one of the people who ran Eddie out of town.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

No, the pressure of trying to get a run when men are in scoring position.  This team is the anti-Edddiieeee team, players who freeze up when things get tight.

We got out scored 23-2. Gee, you think it was more than one thing that we struggled at?

Look ahead spot to the Yankees series. Just like the Hangover spot coming off the Yankees series. Like it or not, our team is human and not robots. 

I think we see Mayo after the ASB. If not, it probably means we swept the NYY. But Boston is creeping up. 

3 hours ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

But for most of the season the team has been great in these situations.

What's your theory for why they are freezing up against the Cubs and not the Yankees?

I do think we have players who are not very good in RISP for careers. Names that jump to mind are Mullins, Hays, Mountcastle, Santander, Mateo, McCann, Cowser-not much track record. I only feel confident with Gunnar, Adley, Ohearn, Westburg and Kjerstad-small sample size. When any of the good group are struggling we really struggle.

10 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

We won 3 out of 4 against the Rangers.

It’s okay.  It’s a “Phil” thing.  Have you ever noticed any poster with the name “Phil” all have something else in common?   🙂

13 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I do think we have players who are not very good in RISP for careers. Names that jump to mind are Mullins, Hays, Mountcastle, Santander, Mateo, McCann, Cowser-not much track record. I only feel confident with Gunnar, Adley, Ohearn, Westburg and Kjerstad-small sample size. When any of the good group are struggling we really struggle.

What you just named are a bunch of guys with poor approaches…so I wouldn’t expect them to be reliable in any situation. I mean, Mounty and Santander can certainly get scorching hot and Mullins and Hays have been good players in the past but none of them are guys you feel confident in unless they get a hit.

For all the grief we gave guys like Hicks and Frazier last year, they had good approaches and would take good at bats, even when they were sucking. They didn’t do much with anything most of the time but you at least felt good about them giving you a good at bat most of the time.  That’s why I think Cowser will eventually be really good in these situations.

It’s why I think Adley is good in them…same with Gunnar.  Same with Holliday when he gets up here 

But players with poor approaches who like to go fishing a lot?  It’s just not going to work out for them in the long run.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

So Mullins hits a combined .300 with RISP in 2022/2023, did only hit .213 in 2021 when he hit .291 and went 30/30 and has a slightly higher career batting average with RISP than he does overall and he is "not very good in RISP for careers".  It certainly appears that there is an element of luck when his worst year for hitting with RISP was by far his best year overall and his best years with RISP were weaker years overall, but I see no basis for concluding he is "not very good in RISP for his career". Am I missing something?

At this point it is criminal to play McCann as much as he is being played.  Adley needs to be behind the plate more.  It just allows you to field a better hitting line up in the end.  Mayo needs to be up here.  He could have DH'd last night instead of Adley.  Nothing against Urias but he should be the player to go for Mayo.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Ceciltrav said:

At this point it is criminal to play McCann as much as he is being played.  Adley needs to be behind the plate more.  It just allows you to field a better hitting line up in the end.  Mayo needs to be up here.  He could have DH'd last night instead of Adley.  Nothing against Urias but he should be the player to go for Mayo.  

McCann plays a lot against LHP and while he's been a bad hitter the last two years he's even worse against LHP. Get Mayo or Norby up here to play against LHP and stop starting McCann 40% of the time.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Would it be a stretch to bring up Basallo to take some of those backup C AB's when rosters expand? Could he be more ready to catch than Mayo to play 3B? 

Vs RHP:

Gunnar SS, Adley DH/C, O'Hearn 1B, Santander RF, Kjerstad LF, Westburg 2B, Basallo C/DH, Mullins/Cowser CF, Urias 3B [Hays, Mateo, Mounty, McCann bench]

Vs LHP, Adley would catch 100% of the time

Adley C, Gunnar SS, Santander RF, Westburg 3B/DH, Hays LF, Mounty 1B, Mullins/Cowser CF, Urias DH/3B, Mateo 2B  [Basallo, Kjerstad, O'Hearn, McCann bench]

Substitute Mayo for Urias if he is ready to play 3B and it looks even better.

1 hour ago, HelenaEngineer said:

So Mullins hits a combined .300 with RISP in 2022/2023, did only hit .213 in 2021 when he hit .291 and went 30/30 and has a slightly higher career batting average with RISP than he does overall and he is "not very good in RISP for careers".  It certainly appears that there is an element of luck when his worst year for hitting with RISP was by far his best year overall and his best years with RISP were weaker years overall, but I see no basis for concluding he is "not very good in RISP for his career". Am I missing something?

Do you feel confident with a guy with .254 OBP to driver runners in? I don’t. Mullins has also been babied this season as a platoon player. 

1 hour ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Do you feel confident with a guy with .254 OBP to driver runners in? I don’t. Mullins has also been babied this season as a platoon player. 

Mullins, like the vast majority of players, is basically the same hitter with runners in scoring position as he is overall. I thought you were being specific to his ability in that situation as opposed to observing that he has struggled at the plate for most of the last couple of seasons.

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

But for most of the season the team has been great in these situations.

What's your theory for why they are freezing up against the Cubs and not the Yankees?

Maybe they saw some fans with the 'W' flag and got psyched out?