Vet players: who would be a mistake to move on from this season?

Sports Guy

Vet Players  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Which vet player(s) would be a mistake to move on from?

The Os have to make room for rookies/young players and if they choose to do that, some vets need to go. 

Putting aside what you get in trade for a moment (and obviously that’s important but just looking beyond that here), who do you feel would be a mistake to trade to the point where you feel hurts our chances for 2024?

You can vote for as many as you want.

BTw, move on from could be trade, DFA, release, etc…I think all would be trade candidates but I guess you never know, so I’m being more general with the phrasing.

Edited by Sports Guy

• Sports Guy changed the title to Vet players: who would be a mistake to move on from this season?
8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Os have to make room for rookies/young players and if they choose to do that, some vets need to go. 

Putting aside what you get in trade for a moment (and obviously that’s important but just looking beyond that here), who do you feel would be a mistake to trade to the point where you feel hurts our chances for 2024?

I think this thread is just about making room for Holliday. 

Trade Hays - if there is a clear RH OF upgrade.

Urias moves to make room for Mayo.

I think you can manipulate options on Cowser & Kjerstad the last 2 months of the season to make a roster spot for Holliday.

Then, in the playoffs carry 14 position players:

1. Adley
2. McCann
3. Mountcastle
4. O'Hearn
5. Westburg
6. Gunnar
7. Mayo
8. Santander
9. Mullins
10. Cowser
11. Kjerstad
12. Hays
13. Mateo
14. Holliday

I don't know that any really qualify as a "mistake" to move on from. I think it would be more challenging than we think to replace the production of Santander, Mountcastle, and O'Hearn in particular. But I don't know if it would be a mistake to not have those guys in 2025. Depends on what we get in a trade for Mounty. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

I don't know that any really qualify as a "mistake" to move on from. I think it would be more challenging than we think to replace the production of Santander, Mountcastle, and O'Hearn in particular. But I don't know if it would be a mistake to not have those guys in 2025. Depends on what we get in a trade for Mounty. 

I don’t view any of them as a mistake either..but I know many do.

I think 1B and CF are spots where we have the least depth/greatest uncertainty in the system, so I've got Mullins and Mountcastle. I'm a little surprised at myself choosing Mountcastle but he is a deserving all star this year having his best season. O'Hearn may be better vs RHP but is unplayable vs LHP and can't play defense anywhere. 

I'd try to retain all but Urias and Hays. I am a big Urias fan, but he doesn't look like he's ever going to return to his production from 2-3 years ago. I'm not even sure his defense is as good as it was, let alone his offensive production. So if Mayo has to exist on a roster that also features O'Hearn and Mountcastle, Urias is the one to go. 

Hays is just really struggling. I like him as well, but he may need a change of scenery. I wish him well.

O'Hearn is just a cockroach. Dude just doesn't go away. I'm finally a believer. What he's doing this year is more impressive to me than last year. He's been a big piece for us. And just the perfect handcuff with Mountcastle. They both stay for me, at least thru 2025. I do think that Mayo is the future at 1b though, as eventually Holliday will be our everyday 2b and Westburg will be the everyday 3b, unless of course Holliday can move to CF, which brings me to...

Mullins stays because of his defense, pure and simple. He's working hard and gutting through his lengthy slump, and I give him a lot of credit for that. At a minimum, he's a defensive replacement / speed element for us, and ditto all of the above for Mateo. They both stay through 2025 for me as well.

Finally, Santander stays if he's willing to sign a team friendly deal. His numbers are catchy and could fetch more than we'd want to pay him, but I think he's got multiple layers of value to our team. Veteran, clubhouse guy, Hyde favorite, and I think his bat plays at OPACY extremely well. And his defense continues to impress me. 

7 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I think this thread is just about making room for Holliday. 

Trade Hays - if there is a clear RH OF upgrade.

Urias moves to make room for Mayo.

I think you can manipulate options on Cowser & Kjerstad the last 2 months of the season to make a roster spot for Holliday.

Then, in the playoffs carry 14 position players:

1. Adley
2. McCann
3. Mountcastle
4. O'Hearn
5. Westburg
6. Gunnar
7. Mayo
8. Santander
9. Mullins
10. Cowser
11. Kjerstad
12. Hays
13. Mateo
14. Holliday

Not really..its about making room and finding real at bats for Mayo, Kjerstad, Holliday and Cowser..and perhaps Norby and Stowers in the mix too.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Santander stays if he's willing to sign a team friendly deal. His numbers are catchy and could fetch more than we'd want to pay him, but I think he's got multiple layers of value to our team. Veteran, clubhouse guy, Hyde favorite, and I think his bat plays at OPACY extremely well. And his defense continues to impress me. 

And he's a switch hitter.

I picked three:

O'Hearn - Because, IMO, his option for next year when compared to productivity is a bargain.

Santander - Because at a minimum, I want the draft pick that comes with him refusing the qualifying offer.

Mullins - It was a choice between Mullins or Mateo and I pick Mullins because we need his center field defense and his speed on the bases.

• Upvote 1

I picked three.  Santander, O'Hearn, Mountcastle.  

Santander's production has been good on a year to year basis.  Riding him out for the first month or two of the season is probably worth the insane heaters he goes on and the fact that he's a switch hitter.  

O'Hearn's statcast numbers are pretty legit.  He's a bit redundant with Mountcastle but I like the lefty power in Camden Yards...and he's proven to be a good pinch hitter.  He gives good at bats consistently.

I've been a big Mountcastle critic but he's come around a little bit.  I think he's a good defender at first and at this point in his career he's a reliable vet.  

I almost said Mullins as I don't know if we have a true heir apparent to CF but then I remembered Cowser can handle it adequately.

I almost said Mateo...I think he fits in as a super utility guy.  

I'd drive Hays to the airport right now if I could.  Urias, I'd at least buy him a beer first.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I picked three.  Santander, O'Hearn, Mountcastle.  

Santander's production has been good on a year to year basis.  Riding him out for the first month or two of the season is probably worth the insane heaters he goes on and the fact that he's a switch hitter.  

O'Hearn's statcast numbers are pretty legit.  He's a bit redundant with Mountcastle but I like the lefty power in Camden Yards...and he's proven to be a good pinch hitter.  He gives good at bats consistently.

I've been a big Mountcastle critic but he's come around a little bit.  I think he's a good defender at first and at this point in his career he's a reliable vet.  

I almost said Mullins as I don't know if we have a true heir apparent to CF but then I remembered Cowser can handle it adequately.

I almost said Mateo...I think he fits in as a super utility guy.  

I'd drive Hays to the airport right now if I could.  Urias, I'd at least buy him a beer first.

You should just get McKenna to drive him, since he's unemployed.

• Haha 1

I see Urias’ mother is a member here.

I voted for OHearn, who is productive and cheap.

Santander is 29, and will be wanting a long and expensive contract. Better to take the pick, especially because our own picks will be in the high 20s for the foreseeable future. The rest, possibly excepting Mateo, who has elite speed and D, are replaceable.

• Haha 1