Just now, Otter said:

Hall had great stuff and athleticism, but they could never help him develop decent control or command.  And it's too early to evaluate if they developed Povich or McDermott...both still have serious issues with control/command.  But the development staff deserve a lot of credit for Bautista and Bradish.  Overall, the jury is still out on whether this regime can draft and develop pitchers....bottom line, they need to draft more high upside arms.

Sure, the jury is still out but we got Povich and McDermott when they were in A+ and neither was considered a top prospect.   Now, both did very well in AAA and are showing up on top 100 lists.  I’d call that development.

4 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I thought I saw during regionals it was like 400 RHP, 250 LHP. I guess if you think you can teach hitting off lefty’s.

I like Benge quite a bit. I tried to find his splits without success, but he had a 91% zone contact rate, which when coupled with the fact that he didn’t see a lot of left handed pitchers in college, leads me to believe he would figure it out when exposed to more LHPs. I don’t see his splits anywhere near the concerns with Honeycutt and his 27% K rate and 56% contact rate against sliders. Also, because he pitched and has a wiry build, I think he is more projectable than the average college player. It’s all probably moot because I don’t think Benge is there when the O’s draft.

4 hours ago, btdart20 said:

It's fun to think about but it doesn't fit how the measured approach to risk/reward we've seen in prior years.

We haven’t drafted #22 before and you could argue Bradfield was a flawed player with high upside and even Horvath to some extent.   I do think they’ll try to balance it with someone safer like Culpepper or Benge if one is there.   Are you saying they won’t take either of those guys (Honeycutt or Jordan) or Brecht, all high upside/high risk or just won’t take two of them?

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

We haven’t drafted #22 before and you could argue Bradfield was a flawed player with high upside and even Horvath to some extent.   I do think they’ll try to balance it with someone safer like Culpepper or Benge if one is there.   Are you saying they won’t take either of those guys (Honeycutt or Jordan) or Brecht, all high upside/high risk or just won’t take two of them?

I saw EBJ as a value pick (which may be the complete wrong take) since many people last year had him as a top 10 talent.  

That they won't take two of those types.

17 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Mayfield is old for the HS class and must have gotten quite the velocity bump.  This was a preseason write up in Baseball America.  Their latest mock had him going right after us at #23 to the Dodgers.

Age At Draft: 19.4
“Mayfield established a reputation as one of the better strike-throwers in the 2024 class as an underclassman, though he didn’t pitch much on the 2023 summer showcase circuit. He’s a 6-foot-4, 200-pound lefthander with a smooth and easy delivery that he repeats excellently with great balance, solid extension and a steady finish in his landing. He has typically sat in the upper 80s and scraped a 91 here and there, but at PBR’s Super 60 showcase in February of 2024 Mayfield touched 94 and has the physical projection to dream on a bit more regular low-90s velocity in the future. On top of a developing fastball that he can spot with advanced feel, Mayfield has a mid-70s breaking ball and a low-80s changeup that look like solid offerings. Mayfield is old for the class after turning 19 in February and is committed to Oklahoma State.“

50 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Mayfield is old for the HS class and must have gotten quite the velocity bump.  This was a preseason write up in Baseball America.  Their latest mock had him going right after us at #23 to the Dodgers.

The control is the selling point IMO.  Like he learned accuracy to compete young and then his frame/velo caught up.  

He sounds interesting but still doubt they go HS SP.

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Any college arms that might be on the O's radar besides Brecht?  I would like the O's to draft a pitcher w/ one of the 1st 2 picks.

Aren’t really many college pitchers in that range. Pretty big drop off after the top 3, then Brecht with stuff that could match up with burns and smith but terrible command. Haven’t really seen any xollege pitchers between yesavage and  end of comp a. Maybe Santucci, but similar problem to Brecht of command issues. We tend to find guys whose traits we like that aren’t the typical high pick, so don’t have to spend the elite picks on pitchers. We will see if we deviate from that. 

14 minutes ago, OsFanInOhio said:

Aren’t really many college pitchers in that range. Pretty big drop off after the top 3, then Brecht with stuff that could match up with burns and smith but terrible command. Haven’t really seen any xollege pitchers between yesavage and  end of comp a. Maybe Santucci, but similar problem to Brecht of command issues. We tend to find guys whose traits we like that aren’t the typical high pick, so don’t have to spend the elite picks on pitchers. We will see if we deviate from that. 

I misremembered. Cjintje is out there as well that I’ve seen us connected with at least once. But I’d be pretty shocked if we went college pitcher at 22. Maybe Brecht, but still goes against anything we’ve shown over the last 5 drafts. 

5 hours ago, btdart20 said:

I like Carter Johnson at 32, and know nothing about nori who they also mention to us at 32. However, having a chance at Brecht and Honeycutt at 32 would be really enticing given they have more upside than most guys we would even draft at 22.