Poll - Bigger Need… Game Three level SP or Elite Closer?

sportsfan8703

Poll - Bigger Need… Game Three level SP or Elite Closer?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Game 3 SP or Elite Closer?

I’m not sure closer is the right way to frame it. Because Kimbrel is actually better than Cano or Perez. What we need is a reliable power arm with strikeout stuff who can slot somewhere towards the backend of games in high leverage situations.

And we need a #2/3 starter who can give be a credible starting pitcher when it’s time for the postseason. And ensure that we are not entering many more regular season series with Irvin/Suarez/Povich. One is fine, two is okay. The three together are a matchup disadvantage especially against the better teams.

I don’t think it’s an either/or choice though. Because in order to plug or holes/cover out weaknesses, we need both of those things.

• Upvote 2

Obligatory post that although we all worry so much about how bad our pitching is (myself included)............we are currently tied with NYY for a 3.39 ERA.  Good for 3rd in all of baseball.

So a lot of other teams would love to have pitching as 'poor' as we do.

Agree with the other posters that two high leverage relievers are a bigger need than a closer. This team also needs a SP3 if the goal is to make a deep playoff run.

Even with the starting pitching injuries if the rotation becomes Burnes, Grayson, SP3, Kremer and Povich then that is pretty formidable. It also allows Irvin and Suarez to help out in the bullpen.

14 minutes ago, waroriole said:

An elite closer means we can start using Kimbrel in the 7th. Coulombe and Cano in the 6th. For the playoffs. 

Not necessarily but the point is that the players we trade for don’t have to have a big number in the saves column. I just want high leverage relievers. If they happen to be a closer, like I said to trade for Estevez, that’s fine but that’s not the need.