Does Elias dare trade Hays at the deadline?

wildcard

Just now, casadeozo said:

I wish the O’s had spent this year really getting Mayo reps in the outfield and first, to give him the position versatility they value so much in their major league roster.

Being able to use his arm and right handed bat in the outfield this year would be such a weapon. Instead he’s seen more as a replacement for Urias than Urias AND Hays. 

While I doubt this is true, maybe he is working in RF a lot more than we think and the Os will be comfortable debuting him there in the majors.

I can’t imagine that’s true though. Would have to think they get him sometime in a live game situation.

2 minutes ago, Osornot said:

Winning and making the team better and/or fill a need v. chemistry and morale?  Really? Holding on to Hays even though there may be some sadness?

RZNJ nails it.  Having to hold onto Hays because he is RH is a big problem and that's where I have an issue with the decision makers. 

It’s real.

the obvious example is when MIL traded Hader in season while they were still contending and they nosedived. The GM has since said it affected the team/clubhouse and he regretted it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I was just thinking about this.

The Os need a righty OFer. The problem is, they really need that OFer to be able to play for CF.  Reports are that they are looking for a player just like that.  Maybe Bader (struggling big time vs lefties this season) or Pillar (destroying lefties this year but subpar in the past) or maybe someone else.  Obviously getting Robert would be the best case scenario and you likely say you take Hays in that deal (since those larger deals almost always have MLers in them and it could just help offset some salary) but I doubt that deal happens.

But if you trade for that type of player, do you have roster room or even a roster need for Hays?

If you trade for a righty vet OFer, what player gets squeezed?  Do they just get rid of one of the young bats and send them down? 

The Os really need to deal some of the vets off of this team.

This does make some sense. I think it comes down to two questions. First, does Kjerstad get traded/sent down or is he here to stay? If he’s traded/sent down, they have room for another OF (let’s say a RHH CF) and could theoretically keep Hays in LF and that acquisition in CF against LHP’s. 

Second question, if Kjerstad stays does Elias feel like Cowser in LF and a RHH CF is a better alignment than just going Hays in LF and Cowser in CF (both offensively and defensively). It depends on the acquisition, but unless it’s Luis Robert I’m not sure any of the mentioned names (Bader, Pillar) really move the needle too much. Cowser’s defense has been good and his overall line against LHP’s has been above average even though he’s going to K a lot against them. 

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

It's a good point.   Righthanded hitters at AAA: Mayo, Norby, Cook.    

What are the chances of replacing Hays with Cook?   ZERO.   With Mayo?   ZERO.    With Norby?   5%

What are the chances Urias is replaced by Mayo?   50% and climbing.

Just now, RZNJ said:

What are the chances of replacing Hays with Cook?   ZERO.   With Mayo?   ZERO.    With Norby?   5%

What are the chances Urias is replaced by Mayo?   50% and climbing.

Yeah. 

I don't really view Hays as a guy holding us up in any way. He's a useful RH bat. He's not really blocking anyone since there are no RH OFers in the minors that need to come up. 

So I don't think Elias is out there shopping Hays around. I think Hyde knows he can stick him in CF in a pinch. I dunno. Seems like a nothingburger here to me. 

• Upvote 1

I think the answer is pretty easy.  Of course he could trade Hays.  There are reasons to not trade several folks.  But if we assume Elias really wants to hold on to his minor league depth, then an argument to move Hays or Mountcastle or even Santander is pretty easy to make. 

And yes, all are right handers (Santander is a Switch Hitter) and for the Orioles that has become more scarce...but that would be changed if Coby Mayo arrives.

I am not saying this is what I would do.  I think it is going to be fascinating to see what Elias does.  I see people say the Orioles have to move one of their top chips to be a WS contender.

The reality is they are one of the top WS contenders.  Now.  Today.  And that is irrefutable.

That does not mean Elias shouldn't be looking to upgrade pitching, because he should.  And it would definitely increase the odds for the Orioles.  But I could definitely see him try to make a move with Hays or someone already on the roster and not anyone from the farm.  We will see.  It's a pretty good spot to be in quite frankly, but it is much more nerve racking than one surmises while wallowing in the depths of 100 loss seasons.

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah. 

I don't really view Hays as a guy holding us up in any way. He's a useful RH bat. He's not really blocking anyone since there are no RH OFers in the minors that need to come up. 

So I don't think Elias is out there shopping Hays around. I think Hyde knows he can stick him in CF in a pinch. I dunno. Seems like a nothingburger here to me. 

Likely to see Mateo as the right-handed hitting backup CF more that Hays.

10 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

This does make some sense. I think it comes down to two questions. First, does Kjerstad get traded/sent down or is he here to stay? If he’s traded/sent down, they have room for another OF (let’s say a RHH CF) and could theoretically keep Hays in LF and that acquisition in CF against LHP’s. 

Second question, if Kjerstad stays does Elias feel like Cowser in LF and a RHH CF is a better alignment than just going Hays in LF and Cowser in CF (both offensively and defensively). It depends on the acquisition, but unless it’s Luis Robert I’m not sure any of the mentioned names (Bader, Pillar) really move the needle too much. Cowser’s defense has been good and his overall line against LHP’s has been above average even though he’s going to K a lot against them. 

Right. For me, it comes down to if they think Hays can play CF as well as those guys (or at least close to it)

Let’s just assume that the rumor of them wanting that RH CFer is true.  If so, what could change that thought?  You would think Hays being a CF option would be out of their heads if true.

But, some thins could have changed that.  

1) maybe this was their thought in May but Hays has bounced hack with the bat, so they aren’t looking anymore.

2) maybe Kjerstad being up and if he continues to hit makes them not want another OFer because Cowser can play CF too

3) Maybe Mullins starting to hit makes them comfortable with him out there, even vs lefties.