So, who WOULD you trade?

Roy Firestone

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

A different question.  Who would Mike Elias trade?

Amswer.  No one off the current team excluding Urias.    Not Holliday, Basallo, Mayo or Kjerstad.   Probably not Povich or McDermott.

Kind of agree. I think he might top out at Norby and Stowers from a position player standpoint. Lesser guys like Beavers, Horvath, Wagner, Cook, Willems would probably be on the table. 

A whole host of AA and below pitchers could be on the table too.

Edited by interloper

Norby and Stowers are the obvious trade chips. I think you could add Beavers to that list also. I think pitching prospects are probably worth holding onto since there’s a lack of depth at both the major and minor league level. That’s a boring answer though.

If the question is…out of the perceived “untouchables”, who might I be alright with moving? I’d probably go with Basallo. I wouldn’t be shopping him or anything but he’s the furthest of the big 4 from Baltimore, there’s plenty of left handed hitters on the roster or soon to be, and I think he ends up a 1B/DH kind of guy and we already have two of those in Mayo and Kjerstad. Whether or not I’m selling all three short on their eventual positions is a totally different discussion, but I digress…

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

A different question.  Who would Mike Elias trade?

Amswer.  No one off the current team excluding Urias.    Not Holliday, Basallo, Mayo or Kjerstad.   Probably not Povich or McDermott.

I actually don’t think Elias is anywhere near that rigid in principle. However, he is very disciplined in wanting the value exchange to be even. He’ll maybe stretch a little but not much.  Practically, that limits the possibility for blockbuster trades. 

57 minutes ago, Philip said:

I would love to trade Mountcastle(who isn't really very good on Defense, per Baseball Savant)I would be happy to trade Santander.

I don’t think Baseball Savant is the best measure of first base defense. It only considers plays where first baseman is the first player to touch ball and doesn’t consider receiving throws at all.  For this reason, I think DRS is better for first base.

• Upvote 2

Players I would trade, ie I would value the potential return more than the player:  Cowser, Norby, Stowers, Beavers, Fabian, Liranzo, Cook, Willems

Players I would trade for bags of balls (but unlikely to bring anything back): Urias, Hays, Akin

Players I would not trade, ie I value them more than any package we would likely receive: Gunnar, Adley, Burnes, Grayson, Bradish, Felix, Holliday, Mayo, Basallo, Povich, McDermott, Etzel

Everyone else I would consider trading but would have to be for the right return which means they are unlikely trade candidates.

In my ideal world, we would get a reliever for Beavers and Cook, and a starter for Norby and Stowers.

If you're talking about a bold trade of a ML player, how about Santander as part of a buyers and sellers route?

He's just had a huge June (although somehow he did not make the MLB team of the month) and his OPS is now way above the league average.  Maybe he could go to a team like Seattle that can use bats and has arms.  I'd like a trade for a 2024 pennant piece, but I'd also be OK if the return was similar to the Lopez trade with another reliever they can use immediately.

The trade makes room in the OF where the team needs it (RF) and helps for 2025 without hurting too much for 2024.

As the buy side, they could then trade Stowers or Norby for a top starter or lesser prospects for a mid-range guy. 

Any player can be traded in the offseason. During this season, I would not subtract much from the MLB 26 man roster. The chemistry of this team is such a big part of how they win. Urias, Kjerstad and several pen arms could go, depending on the return. 

Urias probably has to go so Mayo can come up. Let Westburg focus on 2B.

I think Kjerstad is going to go in a deal. I don’t think he is an integral part of this team. Very good hitter and a better fielder than some think. 

I think Norby and Stowers are quite available. I think McDermott and Povich could be had, but we would have to get big arms back so that we have decent pitching depth. Any prospect other than Holliday and Mayo could go at the deadline. Basallo is not untouchable for me, but it would have to be a tremendous deal that makes us WS favorites and controllable assets for years after. Perhaps a Garrett Crochet type deal.

We need at least two reliable legitimate back end pen arms, one who can close sometimes is a must. Kimbrel is no longer good back to back. More legitimate depth would also let Cano and Webb not pitch in every close game. 

We need a legit playoff SP, a #2 type. If you “all-in,” then you need to upgrade the pen and rotation dramatically. It will be costly though. 

• Upvote 2