We TRIED to give that game away but couldn’t quite do it

Frobby

Great to get a 2-0 win facing George Kirby, but man they made it way harder than it had to be.

• Grayson gets staked to a 1-0 lead in the top of the 4th, then walks 2 of the first 3 batters he faces in the bottom of the inning.  Fortunately, erased on a DP.
  • The O’s score an insurance run in the 7th, but then can’t capitalize on a bases loaded, one out situation with Gunnar and Adley up.  
  • In the bottom half, Grayson allows a single and puts the tying run on via a walk, then makes a poor throw on an easy DP comebacker that could have loaded the bases but Gunnar somehow got a barehand grip on the ball with his foot on the bag.  
  • In the 8th, O’Hearn leads off with a double but the O’s failed to advance him.
  • In the 9th, Kimbrel hits a guy, almost allows a game-tying homer that goes just foul, then hits another guy, and the baserunners both get into scoring position but Kimbrel is able to end it on a strikeout.   

I’m thrilled they won, but man they made it gut-wrenching.   

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Great to get a 2-0 win facing George Kirby, but man they made it way harder than it had to be.

• Grayson gets staked to a 1-0 lead in the top of the 4th, then walks 2 of the first 3 batters he faces in the bottom of the inning.  Fortunately, erased on a DP.
  • The O’s score an insurance run in the 7th, but then can’t capitalize on a bases loaded, one out situation with Gunnar and Adley up.  
  • In the bottom half, Grayson allows a single and puts the tying run on via a walk, then makes a poor throw on an easy DP comebacker that could have loaded the bases but Gunnar somehow got a barehand grip on the ball with his foot on the bag.  
  • In the 8th, O’Hearn leads off with a double but the O’s failed to advance him.
  • In the 9th, Kimbrel hits a guy, almost allows a game-tying homer that goes just foul, then hits another guy, and the baserunners both get into scoring position but Kimbrel is able to end it on a strikeout.   

In your retirement you stay up too late and worry too much.

• Haha 1

Agree with original post but I was very encouraged that last night was best that Graysons stuff looked all season.  19 swings & miss for 41% whiff rate.  He’s still not quite there with the command (and too many walks) just imagine if that ever clicks. Changeup and breaking balls were sharpest of the season.  

From the bullpen, both Yenni and Cio were outstanding and stuff was straight nasty. 

Edited by Say O!

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

A game of inches sometimes. Who would’ve thought Austin freaking Voth gets 2 of the best players in MLB out with the bases loaded?  

Stuff happens. We got the W. Most importantly. Seattle is a tough team. A playoff type game. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

I am so glad I did not watch. Such wins give me so much grief beforehand, that I take no pleasure in the final result.

In the course of most wins, I bet you could paras a few things here and there where we “tried to give the game away”.

Its baseball, the other team gets paid to play too.

I was actually impressed by Kimbrel. He could have easily let that one get away. They helped him out by chasing some balls but he got the job done and the command wasn’t there last night.

Edited by Sports Guy

Boy am I glad i fell asleep at 1-0!   Just reading this stressed me out,  i would have been up all night waiting for the adrenaline to die down.... Thanks for the recap. 

• Upvote 1

I was shocked Raleigh's ball wasn't fair. The ball was absolutely crushed. Then he strikes out on the next pitch for -7% WPA instead of +40. 

Don't forget to get even one out on the botched double play we had to win a challenge. Right call but I was surprised they saw enough to overturn. I would have been pretty livid if I was rooting for the other team.

To be fair to Kimbrel, those HBP's were about as incidental as you can get. Would have really sucked if those runners had beaten us

14 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Despite the minor struggles throughout the year, anyone notice that GRod has 10 wins - 2nd in the American League? 
Anyone disagree that he deserves an allstar spot? 

He’s in the running for one. I can see reasons for not getting it. Think his case would be stronger with the mandatory everyone has to have a rep rule.

It was a good start to leave an impression on those selecting the team, which is announced on Sunday.

Im guessing GRod and Kimbrel will be the 2 guys most worthy of making the team that don’t make it.

Gunnar and Adley will start. Burnes is also in and could start the game.

Im guessing that’s all we get.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

In the course of most wins, I bet you could paras a few things here and there where we “tried to give the game away”.

Its baseball, the other team gets paid to play too.

I was actually impressed by Kimbrel. He could have easily let that one get away. They helped him out by chasing some balls but he got the job done and the command wasn’t there last night.

Agreed, we didn't make any errors, just the one botched double play. Voth made some great pitches. I didn't think we played badly.

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Agreed, we didn't make any errors, just the one botched double play. Voth made some great pitches. I didn't think we played badly.

Of course they didn’t play badly. Seattle was shut out and they got 2 hits.

Did the Os have some luck?  Sure..which basically happens in every win and in every loss, you have some bad luck.

Os also had 2 CS. Maybe something happens with those guys.  OTOH, Raleigh made 2 perfect throws and one pitch was a pseudo pitch out, ie an easier pitch to throw off of. Second fastball of 17 pitches by Baumann. If it was a breaking ball, Cowser is safe. Bad luck.

I took a few things away from that game. Gunnar is fighting his swing and timing. Mateo swing and swing decisions are getting worse as the season progresses. Kjerstad may struggle with velocity in upper part of the zone. Seattle offense is really bad and they are wasting a good pitching staff. Grayson and Perez pitched really well.

• Upvote 1