Skubal trade..Kjerstad, Mountcastle, McDermott and Bradfield?

Skubal trade  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Kjerstad, Mountcastle, Bradfield and McDermott for Skubal?

2 hours ago, foxfield said:

I continue to think you are blowing hot air, but I believe that if Silent J could lead a package for Skubal, Elias would pull that trigger. 

What does this even mean?

Because you don't agree with me, "I'm blowing hot air"?

This is a fantastic article from Cody Stavenhagen in the Athletic.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5622374/2024/07/08/tarik-skubal-all-star-game-tigers-pitcher/

"Since July 4, 2023, Skubal has been, statistically, the best starting pitcher in all of baseball. He leads the game in fWAR (6.2), FIP (2.42) and WHIP (0.92). Only Corbin Burnes has bested Skubal’s 2.60 ERA over his past 32 outings. Once a pitcher who could struggle with count leverage, Skubal ranks second in MLB with a first-pitch strike rate of 71.6 percent.

“That may have been the best pitching performance we’ve seen so far this year,” Pittsburgh Pirates manager Derek Shelton said May 29, after Skubal threw first-pitch strikes to 22 of the 25 batters he faced."

Makes you wonder if even the O's have enough prospects to get this guy..

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jim'sKid26 said:

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5622374/2024/07/08/tarik-skubal-all-star-game-tigers-pitcher/

"Since July 4, 2023, Skubal has been, statistically, the best starting pitcher in all of baseball. He leads the game in fWAR (6.2), FIP (2.42) and WHIP (0.92). Only Corbin Burnes has bested Skubal’s 2.60 ERA over his past 32 outings. Once a pitcher who could struggle with count leverage, Skubal ranks second in MLB with a first-pitch strike rate of 71.6 percent.

“That may have been the best pitching performance we’ve seen so far this year,” Pittsburgh Pirates manager Derek Shelton said May 29, after Skubal threw first-pitch strikes to 22 of the 25 batters he faced."

They 100% have enough to get him…it’s whether they want to do it.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

The Os can get any player they want that is available. 

Just now, Jim'sKid26 said:

Did you even read the article?

No I don’t need to read it to answer your question.  If Detroit sold Skubal, the Os 100% could get him and they would definitely be a team the Tigers call.

Now maybe Detroit won’t sell him…which makes no sense but still, that may be their choice.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Did you even read the article?

I did. The Os can outbid any team for whoever they want if the player is available and they choose to. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They 100% have enough to get him…it’s whether they want to do it.

Correct.  I'm sure Detroit would trade him if we offered 2 of the big 3.  I'd trade Holliday before I would Mayo/Basallo.  I hate to say it, but I'd do Holliday + McDermott for Skubal.  That might even be light.  Probably is.  

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

There's a lot of trade talk about Skubal.  Has Detroit even said they are considering trading him?

No but people are speculating because it makes very little sense for them to hang onto him.

Posted (edited)

IMHO, Detroit would not want Mountcastle back in a deal like this. They are a team that needs an infusion of young talent.  They have some promising young starters coming along but need a lot of help offensively.  LF Riley Greene is far and away their best player, and while rookie 2B Colt Keith is promising, he has been subpar defensively at 2B and his original position of 3B.  They have a very good 2B prospect at AAA in Jace Jung, but little else near ML ready.  They really need a lot of help and vets like Mounty wouldn't seem to fit the need for long term controllable youth.  

FWIW I believe the Tigers will ask for something akin to Mayo and Povich. 

Edited by Greg Pappas

Is anyone worried about the number of innings he has pitched each year?

I get worried that a guy like him has never thrown 175-220 innings which is what you would want if you gave up a ton of young talent.  Am I missing something here?

1 hour ago, Greg Pappas said:

IMHO, Detroit would not want Mountcastle back in a deal like this. They are a team that needs an infusion of young talent.  They have some promising young starters coming along but need a lot of help offensively.  LF Riley Greene is far and away their best player, and while rookie 2B Colt Keith is promising, he has been subpar defensively at 2B and his original position of 3B.  They have a very good 2B prospect at AAA in Jace Jung, but little else near ML ready.  They really need a lot of help and vets like Mounty wouldn't seem to fit the need for long term controllable youth.  

FWIW I believe the Tigers will ask for something akin to Mayo and Povich. 

They won’t even settle for Mayo and Povich.  That’s definitely not all they would ask for.

6 minutes ago, kidrock said:

Is anyone worried about the number of innings he has pitched each year?

I get worried that a guy like him has never thrown 175-220 innings which is what you would want if you gave up a ton of young talent.  Am I missing something here?

All pitchers carry risk in today's game and just about every player has some sort of wart.

But please feel free to name the better starters that we can acquire than Tarik Skubal?

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

All pitchers carry risk in today's game and just about every player has some sort of wart.

But please feel free to name the better starters that we can acquire than Tarik Skubal?

Not sure if better is my argument.  I am arguing that it could be too risky.