Trading for Tarik Skubal

Greg Pappas

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

How okay are you paying $38 million for, let's say, a 3.75 ERA pitcher in a few years? Not saying he will be that, just have to keep that kind of thing in mind.

Beats paying Chris Davis to sit at home.

14 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

If Burnes told you that 6/228 is his willingness to sign and stay with Orioles, would you do that deal ?  
For me , it’s very high dollar signing but I would rather do that than mortgage our farm system for one or two pitchers 

Sure I'd do that, but its not my money. My guess is Burnes wants maximum value and will sign with whoever gives it to him. I'd like to be wrong though.

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

How okay are you paying $38 million for, let's say, a 3.75 ERA pitcher in a few years? Not saying he will be that, just have to keep that kind of thing in mind.

I don’t like paying that amount yearly and for that length of term either .  I just think that our big four at our farm should not traded .  If we trade them , we will regret it,  just my opinion 

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

Thats still a #3 numbers which every teams needs and probably still good enough for post-season .

2 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

I don’t like paying that amount yearly and for that length of term either .  I just think that our big four at our farm should not traded .  If we trade them , we will regret it,  just my opinion 

Four?

Who is your fourth untouchable?

1 minute ago, jabba72 said:

Sure I'd do that, but its not my money. My guess is Burnes wants maximum value and will sign with whoever gives it to him. I'd like to be wrong though.

Your guess could be correct, I am assuming that is Burnes’ goal, the highest dollar, whatever the team, etc .  Just a question of what is highest dollar value 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I think this sounds good and all but no chance that’s all he is getting. He will get a mega deal of 200+ million and 5+ years.

Maybe so. 3/120 does seem a bit low for him. He’s in his age 29 season (will be 30 in October) with a career record of 55 - 31 with a 3.18 ERA and 1.05 WHIP. He’s good. 4/160 might be more realistic. That would give him $4mm more per year than Cole.

FWIW SI is predicting that he will sign a 7 year $255 this offseason.

https://www.si.com/mlb/orioles/news/baltimore-orioles-ace-predicted-to-sign-seven-year-million-deal-jon9

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

If Burnes told you that 6/228 is his willingness to sign and stay with Orioles, would you do that deal ?  
For me , it’s very high dollar signing but I would rather do that than mortgage our farm system for one or two pitchers 

No, I wouldn't and also doubt that the O's would.  Most free agent starter contracts are regretted, if my memory serves me.  If it were 4/132'ish... yes, but he'll get a longer deal I bet.

Edited by Greg Pappas

2 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

No, I wouldn't and also doubt that the O's would.  Most free agent starter contracts are regretted, if my memory serves me. 

So much depends on what level of spending they will have going forward. 

I don't think it's a terrible deal but if the O's are going to be hanging out in the bottom third of payroll it's too much to tie to one pitcher.

• Upvote 1

On 7/16/2024 at 5:18 PM, sportsfan8703 said:

Here’s where I’m at, if we keep the big 3 together then we have a pretty realistic shot of being over .500 for the next 7-8 years.

or 

We trade up to 2/3 of them and go for a WS this year???

At 40, I want to see a WS, but also… the team has sucked a large portion of my adult life. The winning is fun and maybe a WS with all the rounds is more flukey than we think?

It's not all luck. You need solid pitching (and defense) to win in the playoffs, more than you need it to win in the regular season. 

An otherwise average team with a so-so record in the regular season can win the WS by having only two lock-down starters and three shutdown relievers.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So much depends on what level of spending they will have going forward. 

I don't think it's a terrible deal but if the O's are going to be hanging out in the bottom third of payroll it's too much to tie to one pitcher.

I don’t think so either, and if we want to stay in bottom third of teams payroll ranks , we might as well adopt Tampa Rays as our budget business model, I hope I’m wrong 

2 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

I don’t think so either, and if we want to stay in bottom third of teams payroll ranks , we might as well adopt Tampa Rays as our budget business model, I hope I’m wrong 

Why would Rubenstein, a lifelong Orioles fan in his seventies who happens to be a multi-billionaire, have purchased the Orioles to keep the payroll in the bottom third near the Rays? 

Do you know the net worth difference between Rubenstien and Sternberg? 

Do you know that the Orioles had a 99 million dollar profit last season (after all expenses)? Do you know that we have around a 34% increase in attendance this season?

Please explain to me why that would make sense? 

It’s not Rudenstein needs to bleed the team of all profits like the awful John aka Scrooge McAngelos.

• Upvote 2