Vance Honeycutt

wildcard

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We all need a little more slack on the minors board than the main board. 

Remember when a lot of us wanted Lawlar/Mayer over Cowser?  Or Austin Martin over Kjerstad?  Or Druw Jones over Holliday?

I like Cowser a lot..I’d still take Lawlar over him.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I like Cowser a lot..I’d still take Lawlar over him.

Would you take Cowser, Norby and Creed Willems vs Lawlar and 2 other diamondbacks draftees? I don’t know the D backs system well but looks like they got 1 ML player that draft. Orioles are looking at 4-5 possibly with Billy Cook and a few possible pitchers.

15 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Would you take Cowser, Norby and Creed Willems vs Lawlar and 2 other diamondbacks draftees? I don’t know the D backs system well but looks like they got 1 ML player that draft. Orioles are looking at 4-5 possibly with Billy Cook and a few possible pitchers.

Yes I would. And you could have had those guys anyway.

29 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's easy.

All you have to do is not pay the guys that you now know won't make it and that leaves you plenty for everyone else.

It is easy. Teams do it all the time including the Os this year.

You “punt” on some picks.  Sign guys for 20k. 

Draft seniors with nowhere else to go, for example.

So yea it is.  Every year it’s done. 

Or you could go over your bonus money and pay the penalty that means nothing.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

It is easy. Teams do it all the time including the Os this year.

You “punt” on some picks.  Sign guys for 20k. 

Draft seniors with nowhere else to go, for example.

So yea it is.  Every year it’s done. 

Or you could go over your bonus money and pay the penalty that means nothing.

Right, you just need to know what guys aren't going to make it so you can draft seniors instead.

It's easy.

I know how the draft works, but the idea that you can just draft and sign anyone you want and make the money work just isn't accurate.  There is a cost to burning picks for savings.  The math won't always work.

Assuming Lawlar would have signed for the same amount if picked fifth instead of sixth (which might not have been the case) you would need to get together 1.8M in additional funds.  Assuming they didn't go over, the 5% overage will get them 591K closer.  You still need to cut 1.2M out of your draft class.

I guess you would just say, hey pick a senior instead of Rhodes in the second round, boom save 800K!  This is easy!

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Right, you just need to know what guys aren't going to make it so you can draft seniors instead.

It's easy.

I know how the draft works, but the idea that you can just draft and sign anyone you want and make the money work just isn't accurate.  There is a cost to burning picks for savings.  The math won't always work.

Assuming Lawlar would have signed for the same amount if picked fifth instead of sixth (which might not have been the case) you would need to get together 1.8M in additional funds.  Assuming they didn't go over, the 5% overage will get them 591K closer.  You still need to cut 1.2M out of your draft class.

I guess you would just say, hey pick a senior instead of Rhodes in the second round, boom save 800K!  This is easy!

It has nothing to do with taking guys that won’t make it. That doesn’t make sense.

It’s about drafting guys that don’t have another option. 

And yes, that’s what I would say. Again, teams do this.  Your ignorance to that doesn’t make it less true..it just makes you ill informed, which is your normal state of being. 

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It has nothing to do with taking guys that won’t make it. That doesn’t make sense.

It’s about drafting guys that don’t have another option. 

And yes, that’s what I would say. Again, teams do this.  Your ignorance to that doesn’t make it less true..it just makes you ill informed, which is your normal state of being. 

So tell me how you would free up ~1.3 or so million out of that draft class without the benefit of hindsight?

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So tell me how you would free up ~1.3 or so million out of that draft class without the benefit of hindsight?

Well first of all, zero chance the plan was to sign Willems in the 8th round. So, the real point here is that they could have had Lawlar, Norby and whatever other player they would want to spend more than slot on.

I don’t get why this is so difficult. Every single year, every single team signs multiple guys for less than slot and multiple guys for over slot.

Who knows who the Orioles were hoping for later in the draft but if they took Cowser because of signability and to save money, the strategy failed.  We have discussed this over and over again lately..their draft strategy.

This just isn’t difficult. You sign guys for less money..most of these picks they know what it will take to sign them before they draft them. It’s not hard to figure out.

Are we using the Pirates 21 draft as an example of saving money and signing over slots?   You mean the draft where they screwed up 1:1 by taking Henry Davis.  Fantastic that they turned that into Bubba Chandler.