8/13 - Nationals vs Orioles

86this

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

What are you talking about. If Baker can’t get the bottom of the Nats order out why is he on the team?

Because Elias doesn't pitchers?  And the O's didn't spend money on the bullpen under JA.  I would much rather had a $6 million reliever and $7 million reliever than Kimbrel though.  $13 million territory for a closer should be a shutdown guy. 

Just now, OriolesMagic83 said:

Because Elias doesn't pitchers?  And the O's didn't spend money on the bullpen under JA.  I would much rather had a $6 million reliever and $7 million reliever than Kimbrel though.  $13 million territory for a closer should be a shutdown guy. 

Ok. I’ll play along. Is that Hyde’s fault ?

18 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

I'm guessing because they decided to target only pitchers who were not rentals but were not willing to make a monster splash for a guy like Skubal.  

Well, yes, of course, I understand that the point I was making was that long-term control is more important than quality. Elias is hoping that he can fix what is wrong with Rogers, but once a guy loses velocity, he can’t get it back. He’s not going to suddenly get back 3 mph on his fastball, unless he’s been playing injured or something like that.

It would have been better to just keep Irvin in the rotation and use our prospect capital for something that wasn’t a waste.

No, I don’t want to be unfair. It is entirely possible that in the off-season they can fix Rogers, but it is highly unlikely. He will recover his lost velocity and as we are seeing he doesn’t have much control so he can’t be a wily soft tosser.