8/13 - Nationals vs Orioles

86this

Just now, oh-wee-ohs said:

Be nice if any of our kids came up looking like Chaparro. Don't care if he turns into a pumpkin in a week. He's not going 0'fer double digits with piles of Ks out of the gate.

He is getting meatballs down the middle. More power to the kid but he hasn’t exactly seen quality. 

1 minute ago, HowAboutThat said:

Well, yes, of course, I understand that the point I was making was that long-term control is more important than quality. Elias is hoping that he can fix what is wrong with Rogers, but once a guy loses velocity, he can’t get it back. He’s not going to suddenly get back 3 mph on his fastball, unless he’s been playing injured or something like that.

It would have been better to just keep Irvin in the rotation and use our prospect capital for something that wasn’t a waste.

No, I don’t want to be unfair. It is entirely possible that in the off-season they can fix Rogers, but it is highly unlikely. He will recover his lost velocity and as we are seeing he doesn’t have much control so he can’t be a wily soft tosser.

Another option would have been something like going after Flaherty again, which personally I thought made the most sense despite his rental status and his not working out that great last season.  He's been a different pitcher this season.  But even with Rogers' difficulties this team's biggest problem is easily still the bullpen.

I don't think it's necessarily true that pitchers can't get velocity back, but I'm very far from a pitching expert.  Someone here was commenting on some pitcher gaining a couple MHP on one or two of their pitches, but I can't remember who.

Once upon a time the O's had two very good lefty soft tossers in Mike Flanagan and Scott McGregor.  Doesn't seem like there are as many of those types of pitchers anymore, but while Rogers may not be able to do much for us the rest of the season I'm hopeful they can work through his difficulties for next year.

10 minutes ago, Dunk35 said:

Problem is we 2/5 of the rotation who just dont give us a chance to win pretty much every time they pitch. (rogers/kremer) Their Statcast pages are absolutely awful. 

Please, Suarez was excellent on Sunday and the bullpen lost it for him.  Not that the offense helped either.

11 minutes ago, Dunk35 said:

Problem is we 2/5 of the rotation who just dont give us a chance to win pretty much every time they pitch. (rogers/kremer) Their Statcast pages are absolutely awful. 

Wait, I misread your post, as I thought you were including Suarez as one of the weak pitchers.  I'm hopeful Kremer will come around but I may be naive.  

11 minutes ago, oh-wee-ohs said:

Be nice if any of our kids came up looking like Chaparro. Don't care if he turns into a pumpkin in a week. He's not going 0'fer double digits with piles of Ks out of the gate.

The Orioles would have benched him after his first 3 hit game. Can't have that in the lineup for a rookie.

• Haha 1