The Mets series, 8/19-21

Frobby

The O’s are on their way to New York to face the Mets, who at 64-60 are fighting for a wild card spot.  The Mets had a very strong July (17-10) but have been treading water in August (7-9).  The pitching matchups are:

David Peterson (7-1, 3.04 ERA) vs. Trevor Rogers (2-11, 4.89).  Peterson threw 3 scoreless innings against the O’s last year as he was being transitioned back to being a starter.   Rogers faced the Mets while with the Phillies on July 21, allowing 2 runs (1 earned) in 4.2 IP.

Jose Quintana (6-8, 4.26) vs. Dean Kremer (5-9, 4.48).  Quintana took a tough loss against the O’s last year, allowing 2 ER in 6 IP.  Kremer allowed 2 ER in 5.1 IP when he saw the Mets last year.

Sean Manaea (9-5, 3.46) vs. Zac Eflin (9-7, 3.72).  Manaea has only faced the Orioles twice in his career, and was clobbered both times, but the most recent was 2021, so not real relevant.  Eflin has faced the Mets a whopping 15 times in his career, and got walloped twice when he last saw them in 2022.

The Mets have a middle of the pack bullpen, with a 4.05 ERA, 17th in MLB.  The O’s are two spots below them at 4.14.   However, the Mets bullpen has been tough since the all star break (3.48 ERA) while the O’s have been struggling mightily (5.28).   So, it seems advantage: Mets.

Offensively, the O’s come in averaging 5.05 runs per game (3rd in MLB), the Mets 4.80 (10th).  The O’s still lead the majors at 120 OPS+, while the Mets are 5th at 111.   The O’s have been the hotter offense since the break, out scoring the Mets 156-128 in 29 games for each team.  

On paper, the Mets have the pitching matchup advantage in game 1, while the other two games look like toss-ups.  It would be nice to find a way to win this series.  

• Upvote 3

They welcomed back Starling Marte just today, but the baseball gods being funny they made Brandon Nimmo leave mid-game with an uncomfortable shoulder.

Google or not according to taste, but the internet remembers a notable teammate dugout dustup between James McCann (10 year veteran) and 1-time .373 hitter Jose Iglesias, who get to renew their acquaintance.

Mets are I guess Red Sox similar as maybe their league's 7th best team.    Those guys might seem to be playing with more desperation day to day fighting to stay alive into September.

Wednesday afternoon finale makes this one of those 3 games in 45 hours kind of deals.

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

Big start for Rogers. I’m well aware Povich can’t come back for 15 days but these next 3 starts for him will be big. 

Big series for Slater and Eloy. 

I can also see if Rogers has another bad start he comes up with an ailment that lands him on the IL and Povich would take his place.   I hope Rogers shocks us all and pitches well.

I believe that after we face the 3 Met lefties, we also are going to see Valdez and Kikuchi in the Houston series.

So 5 of our next 7 games probably vs LH starters.   Very big week for Jiminez and Slater.  And a chance for Jackson Holliday to show what he can do vs lefties (he only has 17 MLB at bats vs LHP, he'll probably get that many this week alone).

14 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I believe that after we face the 3 Met lefties, we also are going to see Valdez and Kikuchi in the Houston series.

So 5 of our next 7 games probably vs LH starters.   Very big week for Jiminez and Slater.  And a chance for Jackson Holliday to show what he can do vs lefties (he only has 17 MLB at bats vs LHP, he'll probably get that many this week alone).

Jackson owns Kikukuchi 😇

Edited by bobmc

1 hour ago, accinfo said:

I can also see if Rogers has another bad start he comes up with an ailment that lands him on the IL and Povich would take his place.   I hope Rogers shocks us all and pitches well.

Jackhammer is packed and ready to go in case Rogers has another poor start. Those turned ankles can take a couple weeks to heal. 😉

• Haha 1

Mets first year GM David Stearns will I think let Pete Alonso walk, or will at least seek Juan Soto first with as vigorously as Steve Cohen will bid.

Stearns had NL home run champion Chris Carter on his first Milwaukee team in 2016, and let him walk.     Carter was a pretty extreme Trumbo who ended up being out of the show just a year later.

Stearns for me is also an interesting compare/contrast with Elias for smartest guy in the room bona fides.    Both were Jeff Luhnow lieutenants, except Stearns is even younger plus scored one of the precious 30 GM chairs first.

Francisco Lindor one of the last big opponents that might stop Shohei Ohtani from joining Frank Robinson with AL + NL MVP's.    Nothing fWAR says will matter though if Shohei goes 50/50.

3 hours ago, Baseball fandom said:

Game 1 pitching matchup would be a good time to take a night off from Orioles baseball. Lol

That’s what Red Sox fans probably were thinking about the Game 2 matchup in that last series.  But they thought wrong.