Mayo coming back up

Sports Guy

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

So far Eloy hits righties but not lefties.

You think the Orioles are going to sit Eloy at DH in favor of Mayo against LHP?    Can you send me some of whatever your taking this morning.  Sounds like great stuff.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You think the Orioles are going to sit Eloy at DH in favor of Mayo against LHP?    Can you send me some of whatever your taking this morning.  Sounds like great stuff.

Eloy is going to have to hit better for me to become a fan for his.    Especially vs lefties.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Eloy is going to have to hit better for me to become a fan for his.    Especially vs lefties.

I don’t care if you’re a fan or not.   You don’t decide who plays.    Not sure if anyone has noticed but Eloy is starting to lift the ball more often.   The home run, long fly to CF, fly out to LF.   The O’s are hoping the Eloy experiment starts to pay off.   They certainly aren’t sitting him for someone who was 1-17 with 10 K’s.    

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Looking forward to the cries about him being on the bench and not getting much playing time. 

Well with studs like Rivera and Jimenez, where will he ever play? :D

And no, 8 PAs with the Orioles for Rivera is not going to wipe out what he's done at the plate this year with the Marlins. 

Might as well give Mayo the reps at 1B, DH and 3B. Honestly, if Urias is out, they should play Rivera at 3B and Mayo at 1B.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

He might as well start at third. It’s not like the team has been lighting it up defensively on the left side (or any side) lately anyway. 

Let Mayo play. He'll have some defensive mistakes, but I was in LA and watched Ramon "Matador" one ball that cost the Orioles the game. Let the kid fail, and then maybe he'll succeed. A shot in the arm for this team offensively wouldn't hurt. Our offense is offensive.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I don’t care if you’re a fan or not.   You don’t decide who plays.    Not sure if anyone has noticed but Eloy is starting to lift the ball more often.   The home run, long fly to CF, fly out to LF.   The O’s are hoping the Eloy experiment starts to pay off.   They certainly aren’t sitting him for someone who was 1-17 with 10 K’s.    

Eloy lifted the ball a bit the first two games of this series, but he's still a lead-footed, ground ball machine and couple of decent games is not going to change the fact that he's not very good. 

Now, is Mayo better? He should be, but the team won't know unless they play him. Now, do I think the Orioles will bench Eloy or Rivera for Mayo? No, that's not their M.O.

Their M.O. is to bury prospects on the bench for older below average players (Jesús Aguilar, Adam Frazier, and now Eloy Jimenez say hello). 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Let Mayo play. He'll have some defensive mistakes, but I was in LA and watched Ramon "Matador" one ball that cost the Orioles the game. Let the kid fail, and then maybe he'll succeed. A shot in the arm for this team offensively wouldn't hurt. Our offense is offensive.

Mayo showed zero signs of being able to help on offense. Expecting him to show up and provide a spark is fools gold if you ask me. 

Under many circumstances I’d be all for letting Mayo cook and get experience. But we’re already doing that with Holliday, and to some extent Cowser and even Gunnar a little bit. It’s a lot. But now, down to a choice between Rivera and Mayo, the choice has to be Mayo. In fact there’s really no choice at all. 

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Eloy lifted the ball a bit the first two games of this series, but he's still a lead-footed, ground ball machine and couple of decent games is not going to change the fact that he's not very good. 

Now, is Mayo better? He should be, but the team won't know unless they play him. Now, do I think the Orioles will bench Eloy or Rivera for Mayo? No, that's not their M.O.

Their M.O. is to bury prospects on the bench for older below average players (Jesús Aguilar, Adam Frazier, and now Eloy Jimenez say hello). 

Back in 2021, Eloy’s GB % was 48.4.   It went up each year after that to it’s current 56.9%.     Yes.  He’s lead footed but he hits the ball hard and he has power.   The Orioles, I believe, clearly trying to get him to elevate more and get back to that 30 hr type of guy.    Might not work but I think they see progress and I doubt they pull the plug now.

26 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well with studs like Rivera and Jimenez, where will he ever play? :D

And no, 8 PAs with the Orioles for Rivera is not going to wipe out what he's done at the plate this year with the Marlins. 

Might as well give Mayo the reps at 1B, DH and 3B. Honestly, if Urias is out, they should play Rivera at 3B and Mayo at 1B.

I'd like to see Mayo at 1B, for sure.  

38 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Elias and Hyde like to platoon.  I can see a Eloy vs righties/Mayo vs lefties platoon at DH.

Hyde joked about 10 days back it was 40 day-to-days.   I hope Mayo will start all four through the off day, even if it is just giving grinders a day off.

It is in the range of outcomes Mayo is one of the strongest 9 bats for Game 1.     You probably have to play him a good deal these four weeks if you want to discover whether that is the case.

• Upvote 1

With Westburg, Mountcastle, and Urias all hurt, it appears the baseball gods (or Roy Firestone) have removed all excuses not to play Mr. Mayo. We're in sink or swim mode anyway as a team now, so why not?