sportsfan8703

Who sits for Slater in Game 1?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who sits for Slater in Game 1

• Mullins
    • Cowser
    • Nobody

37 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Could be, McCann is hitting the ball well right now. Saying that, I think Rivera might be the DH with Adley behind the plate. Not sure Hyde will basically bench Adley for McCann in a playoff game.

I had the same thought. But McCann is playing well and Burnes likes throwing to him. 

And we have the extra bench guys, so if you have to lose the DH, you have the possibility of doing it.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Could be, McCann is hitting the ball well right now. Saying that, I think Rivera might be the DH with Adley behind the plate. Not sure Hyde will basically bench Adley for McCann in a playoff game.

Just my opinion, we shouldn't be stretching to stack RHB's against a LHP with reverse splits. Unless they have numbers specifically on Rivera or Slater hitting LHP's with good changeups, they should stick with the best overall player. Even if McCann catches, I am not convinced Rivera would be the best DH option. 

12 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Voted Cowser, not because it's what I'd do or want to see,  but what I expect.  I hope I'm wrong,  but I expect Hyde/Elias/Sigbot to start Slater.

Can't see them sitting Cowser. He hasn't sat much against lefties all year.

I would 100% play Slater over Cowser against Skubal. If you look at expected stats in addition to actual stats and consider performance over career and over the last two months in addition to YTD, I don’t think it’s unreasonable for Sigbot to project Slater as being better against a generic LHP in October of 2024.

HOWEVER, Ragans is not a generic LHP.  His runny, hoppy 4-seam has been much more effective vs. right-handed hitters than against left-handed hitters. The most similar fastball in the league to Ragans’ is Keegan Akin’s whose 4-seam shows the exact same reverse split.  This makes some intuitive sense because if a pitch to a lefty is northwest (from pitcher view) to where the batter expects it, it’s likely to catch some wood.  Even if not on sweet spot, batter may foul it off or hit a bloop.

Further, Ragans’ best secondary is the change-up, which he rarely throws to lefties.  He only lands his slider in the zone 35% of the time and doesn’t throw it much in 3-ball counts.

Cowser crushes fastballs and can also work a walk.  If he falls behind in the count, he’ll be in trouble. If he gets ahead, I think he’ll be positioned to have some success.  

Also , if it’s a close call between a righty and a lefty at Camden, you should go with lefty given park dimensions.  Starting Cowser also gives the flexibility to pinch-hit Slater later in the game if needed.  Finally, Cowser likely provides superior defense.  

Cowser should start over Slater.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Safelykept said:

In favor of who?

You really want me to name the 13 guys that are ahead of him?

Adley
McCann
Mounty
O'Hearn
Westburg
Holliday
Gunnar
Urias
Rivera
Cowser
Mullins
Santander
Kjerstad

I guess they could take Slater if they thought they needed a scrub as the 14th position player instead of 13 pitchers.

Leave your scrubs at home.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

You really want me to name the 13 guys that are ahead of him?

Adley
McCann
Mounty
O'Hearn
Westburg
Holliday
Gunnar
Urias
Rivera
Cowser
Mullins
Santander
Kjerstad

I guess they could take Slater if they thought they needed a scrub as the 14th position player instead of 13 pitchers.

Leave your scrubs at home.

Slater would have more value in a 3 game series than whatever 13th pitcher you add