Shutting Guthrie Down

diego

% of strikes doesnt' matter in DCabs case. He doesn't have to throw it for strikes to be effective. Hmmmmm. Sounds dumb even when I say it. Just thought I'd give it a try. :confused:

How many split finger fastballs do you think Dave Stewart threw for strikes?

In the past, we have seen several teams say DCab has the best stuff(or some of the best stuff) in baseball.

Can you guys please show me the quotes where that was said about Guthrie?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you have ESPN insider - opponents are batting a whopping .108 off Guthrie's slider.

.172 off Cabrera's. (They refer to his breaking ball as his slider).

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/players/insider?playerId=5370

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/players/insider?playerId=5961

So, in terms of getting people out, I'd say Guthrie's slider is more consistent this year given that he walks far fewer batters.

Fixed that for you...This is the 4th time i have said DCab hasn't had his curve this year.

But unlike you guys, i have the ability to look beyond one baseball season(or Guthrie's case, one half of a baseball season).

How many split finger fastballs do you think Dave Stewart threw for strikes?

In the past, we have seen several teams say DCab has the best stuff(or some of the best stuff) in baseball.

Can you guys please show me the quotes where that was said about Guthrie?

His #'s would indicate that he doesn't have the same stuff this year.

You would concede that, right?

Fixed that for you...This is the 4th time i have said DCab hasn't had his curve this year.

But unlike you guys, i have the ability to look beyond one baseball season(or Guthrie's case, one half of a baseball season).

Thanks for your help with that.

Why don't you say it a 5th time while you're at it?

Don't Cabrera's deteriorating 2007 numbers concern you in the least?

And... what other secondary stuff does Cabrera have other than his curve?

If you're comparing him to Guthrie and this is the only ML service time you have to draw from for Guthrie... wouldn't he have to have the better stuff by default since Cabrera hasn't had his curve this year?

Or are you using Cabrera's former curve and comparing THAT to Guthrie's curve... maybe I'm just confused.

And... what other secondary stuff does Cabrera have other than his curve?

If you're comparing him to Guthrie and this is the only ML service time you have to draw from for Guthrie... wouldn't he have to have the better stuff by default since Cabrera hasn't had his curve this year?

Or are you using Cabrera's former curve and comparing THAT to Guthrie's curve... maybe I'm just confused.

According to Mazzone, a change.

But what secondary pitches does Guthrie have? A flat curve, inconsistent slider and a change he never throws.

According to Mazzone, a change.

But what secondary pitches does Guthrie have? A flat curve, inconsistent slider and a change he never throws.

Well, according to ESPN Insider Scouting he throws the changeup more than Cabrera.

7% to 1%

Also, opponents are batting .108 off of Guthrie's inconsistent slider that he throws 17% of the time.

Source

So, are you saying, that before this year, that Cabrera had consistent secondary stuff? Take your time, because you are in danger of 90% of the board thinking you are a total nut job.

Dude, he doesn't have consistent primary stuff. Gotta crawl before you can walk ;)

But thats okay, get that curve consistent Daniel! You'll be an all star yet!

Archived