Chris Tillman, May 7 Start

Lucky Jim

I was at the game today and Tillman was awesome. He worked at a nice pace, threw strikes and pretty much dominated the Columbus lineup. He gave up 7 hits, but honestly they were mostly bloops and one broken bat single. I don't remember one hard hit ball the entire day. His fastball was sitting mostly 92-93 but he touched 94 a number of times. I think he could have easily pitched the 7th, but the Tides had a very long bottom of the 6th batting and that may have factored into the decision to not send him out for the 7th as well. He also seemed very poised and gave a nice fist pump when he struck out the last batter in the 6th. Can't wait to see this guy at OPACY.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one "development" that I love in Tillman's season is this early season success. Everyone salivated over how he finished each of the last two seasons. I'm not saying he was bad earlier in either of the previous two seasons, just that he got stronger as he went. It seems like he's getting stronger, earlier, this season. In other words, it seems like he's figuring things out, rather than having to refine his craft over the season...his floor's higher.

I'm not sure if this is just my observation or if it's real. I hope it's the latter.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I don't think Rubenstein can afford to operate his business in this fashion. It was obvious to see how disengaged the fanbase was with all the empty seats in these two postseason games and even the atmosphere in the stadium. I don't think you can sell the fanbase/market on "Everything is okay. We don't need to make any changes or meaningful additions."  Having lived here and observed how the fans interact with the much more successful Ravens, I knew that the fans weren't going to continue to be okay with the "well at least we had a winning record"mantra. This community wants to support winners or at least it's professional franchises exhausting every effort in order to win. The Baltimore Ravens went to the AFC championship and it wasn't enough/satisfying to most fans in this community. The Orioles have been a playoff team now for two years in a row and haven't won a game in either October. The challenge for the franchise going into next season is going to answer the fans' collective question - "What will be different this time?"
    • This whole series it looked like they were guess hitting, and almost always guessing wrong.  Some of that is good pitching, some is our guys trying too hard to play the hero, but I also think they got outsmarted on the scouting report in some spots. 
    • The young players like Mayo and Holliday who were trash all season?
    • You go with the guys who can hit now.  It's laughable to complain the O's just lost because they couldn't hit and then suggest the fix was to bat Coby Mayo or Jackson Holliday.  Mayo showed he wasn't ready yet -- Holliday too.
    • Well here's the the scone pollyanna. Any more out there?  No, I'm not going to ban you. You wanna love this team as I point out the uncomfortable truth, that's up to you. 
    • They also need to look to see if the way we are training hitters in the minors is hurting their major league performance. The selectivity that works in the minors with mediocre pitching isn’t going to work as well in the MLB and will work even worse in the playoffs.  We need guys that can hit good pitches. Too many of our guys can only hit mistakes. 
  • Popular Contributors