Braves get their man - Mclouth!

Fan4Life

Luckily, "recognizable" has nothing to do with whether you are actually good or not.

McLouth is overrated, and the Pirates got a solid deal for him, not to mention it opens up CF for McCutcheon, a guy who can actually play CF.

sorry, recognizable was not the right choice of word there. anyway i still think they got hosed for a guy who hit 26 homers, 96 RBI's, and 46 doubles last year, to go along with the outstanding supporting cast he had. also, the best prospect they recieved in the deal, plays CF, which is instantly block by McCutchen.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sorry, recognizable was not the right choice of word there. anyway i still think they got hosed for a guy who hit 26 homers, 96 RBI's, and 46 doubles last year, to go along with the outstanding supporting cast he had. also, the best prospect they recieved in the deal, plays CF, which is instantly block by McCutchen.

From like June 6 of last year to June 3 of this year, McLouth is hitting like .260 with a .330 OBP and a .430 slugging. I don't have the stats in front of me, Keith Law was talking about it in his chat today.

McLouth is an average player. Incredibly overrated in the field because he somehow won a Gold Glove last year, even tho according to plus-minus he was the worst fielding CF in baseball last year.

And Hernandez can move to right if they want to do that. If he makes it, an OF of Morgan, McCutcheon and Hernandez would probably be the best defensive OF in baseball. Morton is a guy they can put in the rotation right now. Locke has stuff that people like down at Single-A.

The problem is, nobody is giving up an A or A- prospect for McLouth because he isn't a great player. For the guy that McLouth is, the Pirates got a pretty solid deal.

From like June 6 of last year to June 3 of this year, McLouth is hitting like .260 with a .330 OBP and a .430 slugging. I don't have the stats in front of me, Keith Law was talking about it in his chat today.

not disagreeing with you, but dont you think that that has something to do with Bay and Nady not hitting around him, but instead having guys like Nyjer Morgan and Jack Wilson.

BTW, I dont like the idea of trading for someone (Hernandez) knowing that you will have to move him to a different position. What happens if they move him to RF and it doesnt work out at all? Then your stuck with two CF's, and you dont have a DH spot because of the NL rules.

If im the pirates, im asking for Freddie Freeman in a deal to include McLouth, who is almost guarunteed to hit better with the braves, with the likes of Chipper Jones and Brian McCann.

not disagreeing with you, but dont you think that that has something to do with Bay and Nady not hitting around him, but instead having guys like Nyjer Morgan and Jack Wilson.

BTW, I dont like the idea of trading for someone (Hernandez) knowing that you will have to move him to a different position. What happens if they move him to RF and it doesnt work out at all? Then your stuck with two CF's, and you dont have a DH spot because of the NL rules.

If im the pirates, im asking for Freddie Freeman in a deal to include McLouth, who is almost guarunteed to hit better with the braves, with the likes of Chipper Jones and Brian McCann.

And what are you doing when they say no? McLouth isn't that good, nobody is giving up a top prospect for him.

And if you have the issue of Hernandez becoming a good player and you can't find a spot for him (if he's good enough to play center I'm not sure why he couldn't play right, but whatever), then you look to deal him for another need. Having too many good prospects is never a bad thing.

And what are you doing when they say no? McLouth isn't that good, nobody is giving up a top prospect for him.

And if you have the issue of Hernandez becoming a good player and you can't find a spot for him (if he's good enough to play center I'm not sure why he couldn't play right, but whatever), then you look to deal him for another need. Having too many good prospects is never a bad thing.

I'm using the leverage of what he did when he had good hitters around him. The market is small for center fielders right now and the Braves really need OF help. With good hitters around him, his pre all star stats last year are the following:

.899 OPS

.281 BA

65 RBIs

.542 Slug %

.357 OBP

33 doubles.

To add to the fact that he is locked up until 2011, I dont see why they couldn't have gotten Freeman, which is a need for them.

I like Gorkys Hernandez, I believe he's gonna be pretty good, but I think they could have gotten a little more than two pitchers who both have very poor ERAs in their highest level of play.

Nate was my favorite player on the Pirates and he was a very good play. But he was a little overrated as far as they come. The Pirates have a ton of outfield depth with Tabata, McCutchen, and Morgan who reminds me a lot of Juan Pierre in his prime. There has also been talk of moving Alvarez to RF. I don't mind this trade. The pirates have absolute no pitching depth in the Organization and adding a A arm will help. Locke has been injured I beleive this year.

What I don't like about this trade is what it could signify, and that is more of the same. I would not be suprised if this move was made to free up money for the draft. The ownership group (the Nuttings) make Peter G. Angelos look like a saint.

They said after the last draft basically that they were willing to spend to make the farm system good or to make the MLB team good, but not both.

They have great giveaways and the best park in the league, its just too bad they are not committed to putting a solid team on the field. They keep trying to catch lightning in a bottle and hope that a bunch of cheap prearb players can come together and compete. Its just not going to happen that way.

The Orioles will compete again under Peter Angelos. Im not convinced that will happen for the Pirates under the Nuttings.

I'm using the leverage of what he did when he had good hitters around him. The market is small for center fielders right now and the Braves really need OF help. With good hitters around him, his pre all star stats last year are the following:

.899 OPS

.281 BA

65 RBIs

.542 Slug %

.357 OBP

33 doubles.

To add to the fact that he is locked up until 2011, I dont see why they couldn't have gotten Freeman, which is a need for them.

I like Gorkys Hernandez, I believe he's gonna be pretty good, but I think they could have gotten a little more than two pitchers who both have very poor ERAs in their highest level of play.

McLouth was the worst rated CF in baseball defensively last year.

And you can throw out pre-AS numbers last year all you want, but the fact is he just isn't that good....and that is exactly why they didn't get a guy like Freeman, or more than what they got. That is, in fact, why I liked this deal so much. Because they got a pretty solid haul for someone who isn't really that great of a player. Sure, if McLouth is the 5th or 6th best guy on your team and is playing LF you are looking pretty good. But if he is the best guy on your team, you are in trouble, which is why it made sense for PIT to trade him.

Because McLouth isn't really that good. He is a huge minus defensively. Even if you think he is going to go back to putting up those Pre-AS numbers from '08 (which is ridiculous, but whatever) he isn't good in center field.

McLouth was the worst rated CF in baseball defensively last year.

And you can throw out pre-AS numbers last year all you want, but the fact is he just isn't that good....and that is exactly why they didn't get a guy like Freeman, or more than what they got. That is, in fact, why I liked this deal so much. Because they got a pretty solid haul for someone who isn't really that great of a player. Sure, if McLouth is the 5th or 6th best guy on your team and is playing LF you are looking pretty good. But if he is the best guy on your team, you are in trouble, which is why it made sense for PIT to trade him.

Because McLouth isn't really that good. He is a huge minus defensively. Even if you think he is going to go back to putting up those Pre-AS numbers from '08 (which is ridiculous, but whatever) he isn't good in center field.

You have to take his numbers as that of a left fielder. In that context he's kind of a Luke Scott. They're both left-handed corner outfielders in their late 20s with decent/good power who've rarely been regulars. Does anyone think the O's could get a lot more than the Braves' package for Luke Scott? I don't.

Archived