O's Getting Serious About Sano?

Lucky Jim

Is that why Tejada hasn't played in the last year? Or does this only apply before you reach the majors? Or is it a new rule that older players were grandfathered (no pun intended) in?

Are you referring to Miguel Tejada??? Because he's still playing for Houston (and having a good year, in fact).

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just hope this doesn't turn into another Edward Salcedo situation. Salcedo was drawing comparisions to a young A-Rod but his age came into question and as a result he dropped off the radar. I don't think he ever signed with a club.

Arangure Jr. seems to think that it will be hard to prove that Sano took his younger brother's ID because parents actually have to apply for paperwork to register their children to get a birth certificate. If there is no birth certificate which is pretty likely considering his brother died at childbirth, the parents wouldn't have likely applied for that paperwork so Miguel Sano couldn't take an ID that didn't exist.

I just hope this doesn't turn into another Edward Salcedo situation. Salcedo was drawing comparisions to a young A-Rod but his age came into question and as a result he dropped off the radar. I don't think he ever signed with a club.

Arangure Jr. seems to think that it will be hard to prove that Sano took his younger brother's ID because parents actually have to apply for paperwork to register their children to get a birth certificate. If there is no birth certificate which is pretty likely considering his brother died at childbirth, the parents wouldn't have likely applied for that paperwork and there would be no proof that that child existed.

How does this jive with the bone graft test? I thought that proved he was 16-17.

How does this jive with the bone graft test? I thought that proved he was 16-17.

If he's 17, that knocks him down a notch on the prospect scale. 16 is the youngest age that can be signed and those are the players clubs will go after.

If he's 17, that knocks him down a notch on the prospect scale. 16 is the youngest age that can be signed and those are the players clubs will go after.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying. How old does the writer think he could be? (Don't have ESPN Insider) If he is just 17, it doesn't seem like that big of a deal; at least not enough to convince someone not to go after him, or even lower their offer. If the conjecture is that he is 19-21, or so, then I could see a problem.

Also, I thought that the bone graft test proved his age was legitimate, is that not the case?

Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying. How old does the writer think he could be? (Don't have ESPN Insider) If he is just 17, it doesn't seem like that big of a deal; at least not enough to convince someone not to go after him, or even lower their offer. If the conjecture is that he is 19-21, or so, then I could see a problem.

Also, I thought that the bone graft test proved his age was legitimate, is that not the case?

Well MLB is apparently doing a DNA test to see if he's related to the woman he claims to be his mother. My guess is obviously if he isn't a match, they'll know he probably took her son's ID. Otherwise my guess is they'll just have to assume that he is the age he says he is.

If he isn't a match obviously his age would definitely be called into question...

I'm certainly no scout, but everything I've read indicates that age is a huge consideration from around age 16 to 25. Obviously after that you're reaching the point where you've done all of the "filling out" that you're going to do.

But yes, a difference of 1 year could make a big difference in a team's offer, I would think.

Sano is being investigated by MLB according to ESPN's Jose Arangure Jr.

Arangure Jr. goes on to say that Sano will sign with the Pirates or Twins.

Age falsification carries a 1 year ban from MLB if he is found to be lying about his age. Hopefully everything checks out.

Now that this has come out i doubt you will see the O's mentioned again as interested.

Now that this has come out i doubt you will see the O's mentioned again as interested.

Interesting you say that because the Twins requested the investigation. It could have been a smokescreen to make the other teams disinterested...

I'm curious how a bone scan can verify age? I know that you can determine bone age, which is an estimate of the relative maturity of a person's skeletal system, and maybe that's more important than actual age anyway. For example, as a child I had a test that showed my bone age was 3-4 years younger than my actual age, and I thus went through puberty very late.

I'm curious how a bone scan can verify age? I know that you can determine bone age, which is an estimate of the relative maturity of a person's skeletal system, and maybe that's more important than actual age anyway. For example, as a child I had a test that showed my bone age was 3-4 years younger than my actual age, and I thus went through puberty very late.

The kid is his age and the mother is his mother. you can go to the ESPN Magazine article and there is a picture of both of them. If you can't see how they look almost exactly alike then there is a major problem. They are just making sure. He is his age. He had a bone graft verifying it too.

The kid is his age and the mother is his mother. you can go to the ESPN Magazine article and there is a picture of both of them. If you can't see how they look almost exactly alike then there is a major problem. They are just making sure. He is his age. He had a bone graft verifying it too.

Good to hear. Hopefully this can all be verified and that cloud can go away and the kid can go on on living his dream - playing for an MLB team... specifically the Baltimore Orioles. :)

It's hard enough for me to do my job without people speculating about these things openly in the media. Some of these things should be kept private before they are announced either way. Just b/c some people cheat doesn't mean that everyone cheats.

Archived