Bell Headed to Arizona

Elon Os Fan

I'm slightly surprised the O's aren't sending Spoone.

Why?

Spoone has gotten 7 appearances this season, with 2-3 more likely in the minor league season. He even believes he will do better with rest this off-season. Spoone has come back fairly strong this year, let him rest over winter and see if he can work his warm up time down from the extended time he needs now.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why?

Spoone has gotten 7 appearances this season, with 2-3 more likely in the minor league season. He even believes he will do better with rest this off-season. Spoone has come back fairly strong this year, let him rest over winter and see if he can work his warm up time down from the extended time he needs now.

Yup, I agree, I got the impression that he's worked really hard rehabbing and the rest would do him some good.

Why?

First, I am not going to second guess any decision the O's make that is based on a medical/baseball judgment that Spoone will be best prepared for next year if he shuts down at the end of the minor league season and doesn't pitch again until February. Fine with me if that's what they think. I'm not a doctor and I have no idea what's best for his shoulder.

That said, Spoone's lost much of the last 2 years, and if the medical prognosis was netural, I would have seen the AFL as an opportunity to make up a little bit of lost time.

Bell is a dynamite hitter from the left side of the plate, but a completely different hitter from the right side. He's got a very wide stance from the left side, swings with authority and when he makes contact the ball jumps off his bat. The power is real and plentiful. A lot of work was done to get him from rocking his lower body forward and back from the left side, and you can clearly see the results now. When he's hitting from the right side his stance is considerably more closed, and he still rocks back and forth quite a bit. He just doesn't look really comfortable from the right side, his bat is a bit slower and he has trouble with the outer part of the plate when hitting from the right.

Archived