Prince Fielder - Go get him

JTrea81

It would seem to me that somewhere out there one of these players would have the fore sight to come to Baltimore where they could be a walking legend.

If any player goes to play for a new york team they will essentialy be another big fish in an ocean.

In Baltimore someone like Fielder could inherit the mantle of Ripken and Palmer and Murray and Frank and Brooks Robinson.

They would become a whale in a swimming pool.

This is what I did not get when Tex went to New York it was like he did not want the Limelight of being the MAN.

It is the most perplexing thing to me, it is like they are afraid?

Maybe I am way off here but Fielder seems like he is not afraid of anything.

What about the challenge of being the guy that brought the Orioles back.

As far as the mets go I see the standings, but I see who they are in the division with and I see who the gm is.

I think Fielder is more likely to become a whale than the next Ripken, Palmer, Brooks, etc....

;)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one thing I never undestood about El Trea is that he has no hope, no faith in MacPhail..hates him...starts endless threads about him, hijacks numerous threads and steers them into a MacPhail bash fest...

...and yet he thinks we had a shot at Tex. He wants him to get us to us Fielder. He wants him to get us A-Gon.

Why would anyone put any amount of faith or hope into someone they despise? That'd be like me having hope/faith that Bono would stop being such a douchebag or that Lindsay Lohan could give up her cocaine/alcohol habit.

Trea rants on here about how MacPhail can't get things done, then turns around and says how we need a big bat and that MacPhail needs to pull the trigger on a trade or a big FA signing and then turns around and bashes him when he doesn't.

It's completely two faced and a vicious circle to boot.

I'm going to go pick a random MLB team like the Reds and get on their board and start posting El Trea style just to see how much fun one person can possibly have.

Well MacPhail wouldn't stop at Fielder. He'd have to do a lot more in the offseason, including extending Fielder after he was done.

Exactly my point, and Scorpio brought this up as well.

WHY WOULD ANYONE EXTEND HERE? WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO COME HERE?!?!?

Someone needs to do research (not me, I'm too lazy) to see what players have made the jump from pretty good to great teams to a perennial cellar dweller while in in their prime or just near it. I can't think of a superstar professional athlete in any sport off the top of my head who willingly went to a crappy team while they were in their prime. Alex Rodriguez is probably the exception to the rule, but he got the biggest contract in sports history.

If anyone can make up a list of athletes who did something as dumb as coming to a team like the Orioles when they had much better options available, I'm willing to bet that the results were similar to A-Rod's in Texas: less than stellar.

Exactly my point, and Scorpio brought this up as well.

WHY WOULD ANYONE EXTEND HERE? WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO COME HERE?!?!?

Someone needs to do research (not me, I'm too lazy) to see what players have made the jump from pretty good to great teams to a perennial cellar dweller while in in their prime or just near it. I can't think of a superstar professional athlete in any sport off the top of my head who willingly went to a crappy team while they were in their prime. Alex Rodriguez is probably the exception to the rule, but he got the biggest contract in sports history.

If anyone can make up a list of athletes who did something as dumb as coming to a team like the Orioles when they had much better options available, I'm willing to bet that the results were similar to A-Rod's in Texas: less than stellar.

(Barry Bonds)

Also, I mentioned the bit about extending first.

Rosenthal says that Milwaukee may find a hard time finding a taker for Fielder before the deadline. He mentions that the teams that need a 1B/DH are out of contention.

The Orioles are in a desperate situation for offense. This team needs a run producer in a major way.

The Orioles have the pitching that Milwaukee would be looking for and now is certainly the time to trade it.

I think MacPhail really needs to make a statement here in the second half. He said he wants to move the needle beyond the W-L record of last season, and let's face it that simply isn't going to happen with just players returning from injury. He needs to add offense.

Acquiring Fielder would be an extremely bold and unprecidented move, but it would be one that would show the players and fans, that the Orioles have something to play for in the second half, that the Orioles are serious about winning games. And you'd also get a fiery competitor in the clubhouse, something the team also desperately needs.

It's time to do something bold.

The further we fall from contention the more you want us to trade our talented young players for a veteran nearing free agency who probably wouldn't even sign an extension if we offered him a horrible contract.

This is the opposite of what a bad team should do.

I honestly don't understand your logic. To me, the guys you fetishize become more appealing the closer we get to contention. You seem to feel more justified in calling for them as we get further from contention.

To each his own, I guess.

The further we fall from contention the more you want us to trade our talented young players for a veteran nearing free agency who probably wouldn't even sign an extension if we offered him a horrible contract.

I honestly don't understand your logic. To me, the guys you fetishize become more appealing the closer we get to contention. You seem to feel more justified in calling for them as we get further from contention.

We need to either blow it up or ramp it up. Frankly I'm torn right now, but tonight I favor ramping it up. Who knows about tomorrow...

We need to either blow it up or ramp it up. Frankly I'm torn right now, but tonight I favor ramping it up. Who knows about tomorrow...

Do you think we have the ability to ramp it up into contention?

I won't try to belittle you or make sarcastic remarks because I think this conversation is worth having.

Let's say we trade away a lot of young talent and try spend near 200 MM to sign Prince Fielder to an extension. How much closer to contention does that get us? How much does that deplete our farm system/potential core? Where are we as an organization at that point?

As I see it, we'd be lucky to be 5 wins better for a few years with less up and coming talent to augment what we have and less payroll flexibility to make moves in free agency.

I see that as taking a step backwards as an organization. Do you see it differently?

Ever been poor? It's expensive and unfortunately, that's what the Orioles are facing right now - the premium required to get anything done when you exist below the poverty line, figuratively speaking.

JTrea can speak for himself, but what I take away from many of his posts is a fundamental understanding that until the O's reach a certain level of respectability, the normal rules don't apply. Or at least common ways of examining the problem don't fully apply.

A rebuilding team may as well be a team afflicted with the bubonic plague. The only cure is a solid organization and a demonstrated willingness to do what it takes to get healthy - ie win ball games now, not at some undefined point in the future. At the moment, the Orioles meet neither of those criteria. Their already thin farm system currently looks unable to develop the talent they do have, and the past off season indicates no willingness to spend what should be ample resources for short-term improvement.

IMO Prince Fielder specifically would be unwise. OTOH the notion that this team needs to augment their talented young players immediately is sound because fixing the problem doesn't look like it's going to be a binary process. Sadly the Orioles aren't going to wake up one morning magically aware that the moment has come to spend big. It's far more likely that they'll be consigned to a particularly expensive and occasionally shabby limbo paying dues that should have been satisfied long ago.

May as well face it....

(Barry Bonds)

Also, I mentioned the bit about extending first.

Pudge to Detroit, to a lesser extent. They did a lot of other things, including having some killer young pitching.

I feel for Trea here. One thing I agree with him, the right player a year or two early is a good move. Tex wasn't coming here but it would have been a GREAT move if he would have. The problem is, the possible trades right now, Fielder or AGon, would cost too much of our core.

Free Agency is the best course. You identify THE player you want to target, then go after them aggressively from the very first moment. Like AM did for Atkins, only for a GOOD player. :P If you could lock up an impact player the first day of the winter meetings (or earlier) it would show all of baseball that you were serious. It would make every FA rethink signing in Baltimore.

Archived