Are you hometown O's fan or...

jdouble777

Black and Orange took me over becuase...  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Black and Orange took me over becuase...

• I was born around Baltimore
    • I was born in VA/DC area and there was no team
    • I am from elsewhere but I was drawn to this franchise
    • I was born elsewhere but moved to Baltimore area
    • I was born elsewhere but moved to VA/DC are before Nats

How many people here are from the Baltimore area and are O's fans as the result of that?

How many are from the VA/DC area and never had a team so there hometown was relegated to Baltimore? If yes, has their been any internal struggle to stick with a team that is technically not your hometown team?

I ask because this is something I have really battled of the past couple year. I was born and raised about an hour west of D.C. and have been a fan of every Washington club (Bullets/Wiz, Redskins, Caps) my whole life. If there was a Washington team through my childhood I would have undoubtedly follow that team. There was not so now I am over twenty years deep into a fandom of black and orange. Through this conviction and dedication I developed a more or less insurmountable wall that prevented the transition years ago and continues to do so today. I went to Nationals stadium and watch the O's beat them two years ago and really enjoyed the atmosphere. It really felt like home, but in no way shape or form was I going to root against the O's. It seems like I have compiled so many memories and cheered and yelled at what has transpired for so many games that my subconscious is primed and imprinted with a reflexive instinctual bond with them. No matter how much I have thought about it and discussed it, I am perpetually drawn back to looking at the field from my seat at Camden. The recollection of attempting to mimic every play I made at SS in tee-ball after Cal.

So, why are you an O's fan?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moved to Howard county from southern Spain, just started following the Orioles... started to watch and follow them. and I am both a Ravens and Redskins fan since my dad likes the redsins and Ellciott City has a lot of Ravens fans.

Never any struggle for me. I grew up east of Richmond watching Cal, Brady & Co. on HTS. The Nats may be closer to me now (even in NC) but they'll never be my "local" team.

Besides, it's easy as hell to jump on a bandwagon and root for a winning team. It takes a lot more character to root for a losing team.

I am from Dunkirk, MD - Calvert County (MD). I am probably on the dividing line of Nats/O's fans. There are tons of Nats fans where I live but also tons of O's fans. I think a lot of people were disinterested in baseball (just like hockey) but have picked up the Nats as a team to root for and taken a liking to baseball...just like the Caps fan base has swollen and now you see red everywhere.

I dont have any ill will personally against the Nats but they are NOT MY TEAM. I have been a lifelong O's fan and it will suck to see the nats do well but I will never pull for them...thats just me and my fanfare. I cant just flip the switch on a team. I am a DIEHARD. For the O's fans that live in DC/AREA I can see those people switching over...but being a life long Marylander the O's are embedded in me.

Never any struggle for me. I grew up east of Richmond watching Cal, Brady & Co. on HTS. The Nats may be closer to me now (even in NC) but they'll never be my "local" team.

Besides, it's easy as hell to jump on a bandwagon and root for a winning team. It takes a lot more character to root for a losing team.

I would not call the Nationals a winning team by any stretch of the imagination:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/standings?tag=globalNav.mlb;fastFacts

They are dead last in their div. and have to top the Mets, Phillies, and Braves to change that. Not going to happen anytime soon.

South Baltimore General Hospital, hon.

I was actually an A's fan for awhile because my family moved to the Bay Area in 1989 (I was 7), but my dad kept the O's torch alive. I fell back inline when we moved home in 1991.

Born in Rochester NY. Saw players like Cal Ripken and Mike Boddicker play for Rochester. Orioles fan ever since.

Did being a Yankee or Mets fan ever cross your mind? Was anyone any influence on your move to the O's? What made you go to Rochester and watch them? If I am being to inquisitive please accept my apology and feel no obligation to answer.

How many people here are from the Baltimore area and are O's fans as the result of that?

How many are from the VA/DC area and never had a team so there hometown was relegated to Baltimore? If yes, has their been any internal struggle to stick with a team that is technically not your hometown team?

I ask because this is something I have really battled of the past couple year. I was born and raised about an hour west of D.C. and have been a fan of every Washington club (Bullets/Wiz, Redskins, Caps) my whole life. If there was a Washington team through my childhood I would have undoubtedly follow that team. There was not so now I am over twenty years deep into a fandom of black and orange. Through this conviction and dedication I developed a more or less insurmountable wall that prevented the transition years ago and continues to do so today. I went to Nationals stadium and watch the O's beat them two years ago and really enjoyed the atmosphere. It really felt like home, but in no way shape or form was I going to root against the O's. It seems like I have compiled so many memories and cheered and yelled at what has transpired for so many games that my subconscious is primed and imprinted with a reflexive instinctual bond with them. No matter how much I have thought about it and discussed it, I am perpetually drawn back to looking at the field from my seat at Camden. The recollection of attempting to mimic every play I made at SS in tee-ball after Cal.

So, why are you an O's fan?

I was born and raised in suburban Chicago. My granparents and my Dad, were from Baltimore. My Granparents retired to the Eastern Shore. My Dad taught me just about everything I know about baseball, and he was/is an O's man. He played baseball in College, and he is a fundamentals freak. My Grandfather would take me to Memorial Stadium several times each summer when I went to stay with them. I grew up a product of "the Orioles way", and my Dad taught me enough to be lucky enough to play through college myself.

My Granparents are long gone now, My dad is 81 years old. When I think of how sorry this team is today, and how it hurts me to see them play sloppy baseball, I just know that it really kills my Dad. When I talk to him, he says they lost it at the lower levels, because they keep bringing up guys who don't play sound fundamental baseball.

The family vaca is later this month on the Outer Banks of NC. Gotta bring my glove. Dad still likes to play catch and Coach my Brother and I on the fine points of pitch and catch. My Brother is 51 and I am 49. And Dad won't stand for any improper mechanics in the throwing motion.

South Baltimore General Hospital, hon.

I was actually an A's fan for awhile because my family moved to the Bay Area in 1989 (I was 7), but my dad kept the O's torch alive. I fell back inline when we moved home in 1991.

Interesting, so your hometown team is what you were no matter what coast that might be. I think a lot of fathers probably played a part in the fan base, could certainly be wrong though.

I was born in NJ and my dad was a Yankee fan. Eventually moved to DC and jumped ship to the Orioles because the Yankees are evil.

SECOND THAT NOTION!

Do you think you would have jumped on the Nats if they were a team then?

I was born and raised in suburban Chicago. My granparents and my Dad, were from Baltimore. My Granparents retired to the Eastern Shore. My Dad taught me just about everything I know about baseball, and he was/is an O's man. He played baseball in College, and he is a fundamentals freak. My Grandfather would take me to Memorial Stadium several times each summer when I went to stay with them. I grew up a product of "the Orioles way", and my Dad taught me enough to be lucky enough to play through college myself.

My Granparents are long gone now, My dad is 81 years old. When I think of how sorry this team is today, and how it hurts me to see them play sloppy baseball, I just know that it really kills my Dad. When I talk to him, he says they lost it at the lower levels, because they keep bringing up guys who don't play sound fundamental baseball.

The family vaca is later this month on the Outer Banks of NC. Gotta bring my glove. Dad still likes to play catch and Coach my Brother and I on the fine points of pitch and catch. My Brother is 51 and I am 49. And Dad won't stand for any improper mechanics in the throwing motion.

Good man, any chance he is looking for a spot on the coaching staff? How long do you think the "Oriole Way" has been lost? How, what, when do you think it will come back?

Archived