Do the O's now have the best ShortStop in the AL East?

SammyBirdland

I think that overall Adam Jones is the worst defensive center fielder in the league. I know he was given the Gold Glove for 2009, but I don't know anyone here who watched him regularly who thought that was deserved. And in 2010 he got worse, though once Buck came on board he did work a little harder out there and improved a bit. His only consistent positive is that he can cover a lot of ground, so once he gets a read -- usually pretty late -- he can get to some balls others can't. But his reads and jumps are generally poor, he has trouble catching any ball on which he has to stretch out beyond the frame of his body (he often drops them), he has a quite inaccurate arm and often throws to the wrong base. A move to left field would put him more in line with his ability, but it seems to be heresy to suggest that.

I think it will be interesting to see what Buck and Wayne Kirby do with Jones. I thought he was excellent in 2008, so I still feel he has potential to be above average in CF. Buck is more likely to have the guts to move him to LF if that is the best alignment, than Trembley or Samuel were. So, we'll see.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3,000 hits or not Jeter is overrated.

Overrated does not equal sucks as some of you clowns have taken it.

I said he was average even in his prime.

For all you self-perceived baseball know it alls . . . . troll away!

I gave an example and surprisingly little if any response was given.

It had to do with Parcells and Wade Phillips.

Here is another "stat" example for you clowns that are "stat" Jeter fans.

Anyone can make a point by spinning numbers.

The Dallas Cowboys coach with the highest winning percentage is Barry Switzer.

Second - Wade Phillips.

Based on the "stats" the argument could be made that these guys are better and more successful coaches than Tom Landry or Jimmy Johnson.

How many of you Jeter lovers would say that?

Spin away clowns.

Stats are only part of the story.

All you clowns who have never even played Little League ball are singing Jeter's praises while he was voted by his peers, yeah other ML ball players, as the most overrated player in the game.

Trolls or Idiots?

You clowns look in the mirror and decide for yourselves.

I'll gladly be on the side of Jeter's peers who actually play MLB.

Yes I think he is overrated.

And, no I am not obsessed with the guy.

I simply stated in a post that he was overrated and all these O's fans come out in support of the guy as if he were Cal.

Far too many trolls in this thread to count - all in support of Jeter!

3,000 hits or not Jeter is overrated.

Overrated does not equal sucks as some of you clowns have taken it.

I said he was average even in his prime.

For all you self-perceived baseball know it alls . . . . troll away!

I gave an example and surprisingly little if any response was given.

It had to do with Parcells and Wade Phillips.

Here is another "stat" example for you clowns that are "stat" Jeter fans.

Anyone can make a point by spinning numbers.

The Dallas Cowboys coach with the highest winning percentage is Barry Switzer.

Second - Wade Phillips.

Based on the "stats" the argument could be made that these guys are better and more successful coaches than Tom Landry or Jimmy Johnson.

How many of you Jeter lovers would say that?

Spin away clowns.

Stats are only part of the story.

All you clowns who have never even played Little League ball are singing Jeter's praises while he was voted by his peers, yeah other ML ball players, as the most overrated player in the game.

Trolls or Idiots?

You clowns look in the mirror and decide for yourselves.

I'll gladly be on the side of Jeter's peers who actually play MLB.

Yes I think he is overrated.

And, no I am not obsessed with the guy.

I simply stated in a post that he was overrated and all these O's fans come out in support of the guy as if he were Cal.

Far too many trolls in this thread to count - all in support of Jeter!

Who wants to start the poll for how long this guy gets banned?

Awww, does somebody need attention?

I would say quite a few posters here need it.

Why else would O's fans come out in such strong support of Jeter simply becuz another O's fans says the guy is overrated?

I haven't even seen Skankee fans get this worked up over Jeter comments.

Where are the knowledgable people?

If his peers say he is the most overrated - and I agree with those MLB players - and internet trolls disagree with Jeter's peers . . . . . . . . what are you trying to say?

At least you are right about Obama - but that could be seen coming long before he got elected.

Here I was expecting to see that Jeter won this by a quite easily... but.

When you think about Derek Jeter's career in pinstripes, four-time World Series champion, World Series MVP, eight-time All-Star and captain are all labels that may come to mind immediately. But when several players in the majors thought about Jeter, they slapped him with another tag: Overrated.

In a Sports Illustrated survey of 495 Major League Baseball players in its June 23 issue, Jeter was voted the most overrated with 10% of the vote. Struggling Giants lefthander Barry Zito was second at 9%, while Alex Rodriguez and Red Sox outfielder J.D. Drew were tied for third with 7%. Mets third baseman David Wright and Red Sox first baseman Kevin Youkilis tied for fourth at 4%.

source

So, of the 495 majorleaguers that voted, 49 ML players voted Jeter, overated. Heck, 34 of them think Arod is overated...

And it changes year to year... in 2010 -

Based on 187 MLB players who responded to SI's survey...

Joba Chamberlain, Yankees P 12%

Alex Rodriguez, Yankees 3B 5%

Gary Matthews Jr., Reds CF 5%

Nick Swisher, Yankees RF 4%

J.D. Drew, Red Sox RF 3%

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1172061/index.htm#ixzz17px0XJHN

Where are the knowledgable people?

If his peers say he is the most overrated - and I agree with those MLB players - and internet trolls disagree with Jeter's peers . . . . . . . . what are you trying to say?

At least you are right about Obama - but that could be seen coming long before he got elected.

I don't even disagree that Jeter is overrated...But he isn't just an average player..He is a clear cut HOFer...Doubting that is just plain stupidity.

And throwing a hissy fit about is just annoying.

I don't like Obama and think he is doing a poor job but if people were making up things about him, I would say something about that as well.

I agree with the point of making intelligent, factually-based arguments, but was it necessary to bring you political beliefs into the equation?

I don't even disagree that Jeter is overrated...But he isn't just an average player..He is a clear cut HOFer...Doubting that is just plain stupidity.

And throwing a hissy fit about is just annoying.

Did I post he wouldn't be in the HOF?

Hissy fit?

I made an initial post.

How many people have responded?

They have been the hissy fitters in my opinion.

I have only responded to their posts.

I mean seriously, what is wrong with posting an opinion?

Looks like it is okay for the Jeter lovers to do it?

I've made my points and most have been ignored/evaded becuz they demonstrate why I have my opinions and that they have validity.

Obviously, we have no lawyers posting here becuz they would never win a case with their arguments.

These clowns would be chewed up and spit out in any kind of real debate.

Looks to me like most of these guys just wanna stir S***.

So I don't roll over and take it - that makes me a bad guy?

I agree with the point of making intelligent, factually-based arguments, but was it necessary to bring you political beliefs into the equation?

No problem . . . . . . . . .

If its true its reality.

You guys just like to stir S*** it looks like to me.

Archived