Roch: LaRoche is clearly waitint for a better offer or sorting through identical ones

ChaosLex

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From a bigger hill to climb aspect, I don't know if the Nats have a much easier trip than the Os at this point. If these two think they'd have an easier time in the NL East. Philly is a monster, Atlanta is always difficult and well run, Florida some how gets it done with a shoe string budget and the Mets have the resources if run properly to be a monster. So I don't think things are so much brighter down the street if Lee and LaRoche are viewing the Nats as a better fit.

I want this thing done like the next guy. But let's face it, if you're signing your last big contract of your career are you thrilled it's coming from an Orioles team that has been buried in the basement of the AL East for 13 years? Two months of good play under Buck is not going to undo the previous 13 years of futility. Same goes for Derek Lee. Realistically he's got a handful of season left and no rings. My guess is he signs with Texas or even San Diego for a little less and a more realistic shot at a ring. Until the O's put together at least a .500 season it'll be difficult for them to sign even a Derek Lee or Adam LaRoche. Which is pretty darn frustrating.

Just the cold hard facts here unfortunately.

Just the cold hard facts here unfortunately.

Turning this oceanliner around is no easy task. I think we're getting there. Just hurts to see guys like Derek Lee and Adam freaking LaRoche turn their noses up at my birds. Not that I blame them.

I agree 100% with every single word Roch says here.

Offensively we'd be better off with Scott at first and Vladdy DHing anyway, I am just a bit afraid of Scott's fielding. But at this point, I say screw you LaRoche, we do it ourselves!

I wanted to sign LaRoche but if he's waiting around for something better they should tell him to hit the bricks. They should do today.

Stupid headline typo. :P

BTW, I like the idea of putting Luke at 1B and sending a truckload of cash Vlad's way. I doubt he'd be interested though.

Sorry Lex ...But if the Orioles were going to go with a poor fielding 1B it should have been Dunn.

Sounds like it will be a failure no matter how it goes now. The O's will likely miss out on both Dunn & Laroche to the Nats. With this approach Angelos should have done everything legally to block the Nats in DC.

Turning this oceanliner around is no easy task. I think we're getting there. Just hurts to see guys like Derek Lee and Adam freaking LaRoche turn their noses up at my birds. Not that I blame them.

In LaRoche's case, I'm not sure that he's holding his nose up at playing for the Orioles or 'Nats. I think he's holding out for the largest possible payday. And, keep in mind that he has an agent that is advising him, for better or worse (see his decision last year for how an agent can screw you). Lee does seem to have preferences that would lead him away from Baltimore, preferences that are not entirely related to money. LaRoche, I think, is simply trying to get as much as he can while he can get it.

I don't think MacPhail has to wait or tell LaRoche anything. He can pursue Lee hard without closing out discussions or offers with LaRoche. LaRoche is sifting through or trying to get other offers. So MacPhail can and should make other offers.

I am not really interested in another DH. It makes the defense worse. I would hold off on pursuing Vlad or Thome.

Cantu? Sure talk to his agent. Position yourself in case LaRoche and Lee don't happen. But I can't see making him an offer yet. I would bet MacPhail is already doing this.

The Rangers are probably what LaRoche is waiting on. They have money. They haven't reach agreement with Vlad. They could turn to Lee. If they do LaRoche can play the Nationals vs the O's more effectively. There is nothing to do about that but wait on the Rangers.

The Padres and Rays need first baseman. But neither has the 7-10M/year to get Lee or LaRoche. They have to trade someone to make room in the budget or go over budget which is not in character for either team. If LaRoche or Lee want to take 3 or 4M then those two teams might be options. However, for Lee Petco field is not a good place to increase a hitters value.

All in all, the O's and Nationals match up best with Lee and LaRoche. The O's should be pursuing both hard.

You're right about this, but it's not just LaRoche. Everybody is waiting on them. They are in on Beltre and until that is settled, DH/1B for them is up in the air. And so are Vlad, Lee, Thome, and to a lesser extent, LaRoche and Cantu. Lee probably would prefer the Pads over any other team, because he lives in Malibu, and they are a possible contender in the NL West, and he is only looking for a one year contract. But they probably don't offer more than 5M. His next best hope is Texas. They want to resign Vlad for 1 year unless they sign Beltre, in which case they have to play Young at 1B/DH. Also Vlad's numbers really fell off, the second half of last season. Now if he becomes available, that changes the whole equation because he is an option for the Birds, among others, giving them some leverage over LaRoche. LaRoche probably would be a better fit for the Gnats, but untill Lee is resolved it's a standoff between the O's and the Gnats. I think the Rays will play Zobrist at 1B and sign a leftover DH type, whomever falls their way. Lee will only sign with the O's if he has no other option. I think he takes a 5M or less contract from the Pads and waits until next year. Both Lee and LaRoche would prefer the Gnats ovee the O's because it is a NL team in an easier division.

Everything you say is true SoBo. I can't even blame LaRoche for not wanting to sign here but that doesn't change anything. If LaRoche won't take your money move on and find someone who will.

There are other options out there just as good as Lee and LaRoche. Vlad, Thome, etc. They don't play firstbase but they could help you in other ways.

In LaRoche's case, I'm not sure that he's holding his nose up at playing for the Orioles or 'Nats. I think he's holding out for the largest possible payday. And, keep in mind that he has an agent that is advising him, for better or worse (see his decision last year for how an agent can screw you). Lee does seem to have preferences that would lead him away from Baltimore, preferences that are not entirely related to money. LaRoche, I think, is simply trying to get as much as he can while he can get it.

Good point. But at this point I wonder how much more waiting is going to increase his current offers. I don't see anyone jumping in and pushing offers much higher. And this waiting game last year cost him a world series ring.

I think it's only a matter of time for LaRoche and I'm not real worried about it. For all we know, his agent could have just told the O's that they'll make a decision after the new year or something.

If we have a 3/21 deal on the table, and LaRoche tells us he'll make a decision after the new year, I would tell him thanks but no thanks, the offer is no longer available. If he thinks he's gonna beat that deal anywhere else, good luck with that. But he ain't using us as a fallback option.

What is the hurry? As McPhail said after Reynolds was signed, there are lots of options still left on the table when you consider designated hitters. Not to mention, Beltre is still out there.

Because we get burned as fans everytime we wait. There are not that many options left, and they've already let the best options sign elsewhere. As I've said before, the two left give stability to a flat offense, and please don't think for a secong that Reynolds and Hardy help matters at all. The potent power bat has still not been added, and until it is, we do not improve. If Laroche and Lee both slip through MacPhail's fingers, the direction is clear, to stay at the bottom of the East.

Because we get burned as fans everytime we wait. There are not that many options left, and they've already let the best options sign elsewhere. As I've said before, the two left give stability to a flat offense, and please don't think for a secong that Reynolds and Hardy help matters at all. The potent power bat has still not been added, and until it is, we do not improve. If Laroche and Lee both slip through MacPhail's fingers, the direction is clear, to stay at the bottom of the East.

So LaRoche is the potent power bat but Reynolds isn't? You do realize that Reynolds hits for far more power than LaRoche...right? Jeez.

If we have a 3/21 deal on the table, and LaRoche tells us he'll make a decision after the new year, I would tell him thanks but no thanks, the offer is no longer available. If he thinks he's gonna beat that deal anywhere else, good luck with that. But he ain't using us as a fallback option.

I'd bet my bottom dollar that WHEN Laroche signs elsewhere, the contract will be for more than 3/24. He would have already signed if our offer blew away whatever else he's pondering. There are other teams we're not hearing about.

I think both players are in play for the Nats and the Orioles. I believe BOTH are waiting to see the other shoe drop, but I truly believe that Lee DOES NOT want to play in Baltimore and even if he did, he wouldnt be signing for more than a year. Unless the Padres suddenly hit the lottery, I dont see them as major financial players in this deal. So, unless someone wants an inferior deal, its either the O's or the Nats for either player. Im not guessing AM is a deadline, line in the sand kindve guy..could be wrong though.

The opposite is true. We are getting a reputation as a team that isnt even getting a chance to make a better offer...and if thats true, thats disturbing.

People seem to listen to every word that is read as gospel. There is nothing saying that the Padres, Nats, or another mystery team hasn't already offered Laroche more. MacPhail had better not wait, or we'll lose both of them without a doubt. Now most say that this would be no problem, but it would be for me. We add nothing with what I know is coming in Russell B, or Cantu. This is absolutely getting pathetic. We can't even land a 2nd tier player, or one that's coming off an injury.

Archived