We're waiting on ARod

bigbird

I think this news is just about equally as disappointing as any previous news was encouraging.

Waiting for ARod to settle sounds way too much like the way things have been done the last 10 years. Who cares if the market isn't settled yet, go out and set the market. Get what you think is a good return for Tejada and be done with it.

These trades don't have to be done immediately, but they definitely should be done by the end of the Winter Meetings. I don't see ARod signing before then, although its likely his "demands" could be concrete enough by then to know who are legit suitors and who will focus on Tejada.

Hmmmm.. how does your idea work exactly? Miggy is best dealt to teams that fit what we need, Angels, ChiSox, etc... we call those teams and ask them what they're willing to give... they all say... well.. ARod is our first choice, so we're not ready to start that conversation....

so then you do what? Take less from those same teams that you might be able to get in 60 days? Take less from some others teams that don't fit with us as well because..... you don't want to wait 60 days?

Sorry... I don't get this point... you are usually one of the more well reasoned posters on here, but this one sounds more emotional....

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A-Rod doesn't have to be signed, sealed and delivered for teams to turn their attention to Tejada. Once some opening bids for A-Rod become known, several teams will conclude the price is already too rich for their blood, and thenthey'll be ready to talk about Tejada. If anything, other teams are probably telling the O's they want to see what happens with A-Rod as a ploy to get the Orioles to lower their asking price to move him quickly.

Frobby you act like these teams shouldn't already know a ball park price on what it will take to sign A-Rod.

It's unrealistic to think that several teams will conclude the price of A-Rod is to rich for their blood in the next two weeks if they haven't already done so.

A-Rod doesn't have to be signed, sealed and delivered for teams to turn their attention to Tejada. Once some opening bids for A-Rod become known, several teams will conclude the price is already too rich for their blood, and thenthey'll be ready to talk about Tejada. If anything, other teams are probably telling the O's they want to see what happens with A-Rod as a ploy to get the Orioles to lower their asking price to move him quickly.
This is what I think as well. The opening bid for ARod was 10/$350mil. to the Yankees. Boras has put himself on the line to get at least that much and he will take as long as he can to get as close to that as possible.

What other teams wouldn't want Tejada?

I'm constantly amazed that so many folks seem to think any old team has $13M of payroll available to put into one player.

Some teams can, many can't.

And the ones that can, may not want to put so many eggs in one basket.

The ones that can and want to, would have to think Tejada is the player to invest that money in. Not a small consideration given Tejada's decline, his age, and the PED concerns.

The ones that can and want to, and think Tejada is the player to invest that money in, would have to have a place for him to play.

The ones that can and want to, and think Tejada is the player to invest that money in, and have a place for him to play, would have to have a package of players the O's would be interested in acquiring.

The ones that can and want to, and think Tejada is the player to invest that money in, and have a place for him to play, and have a package of players the O's would be interested in acquiring, would have to be willing to part with that package of players.

As you can see, the question is far more complicated than, "who wouldn't want Tejada?"

Frobby you act like these teams shouldn't already know a ball park price on what it will take to sign A-Rod.

It's unrealistic to think that several teams will conclude the price of A-Rod is to rich for their blood in the next two weeks if they haven't already done so.

I don't think it's unrealistic at all. Considering A-Rod basically walked away from 8 years & $240 million (if the reports are true), I figure every team still in the running must be willing to go at least to that range. Many of them laugh as hard as the posters on here when they here Boras 12yr/360million.

Therefore, teams can hang around to see if any suckers out there are willing to break $300 million for a package. Of course, Boras will be leading everyone to belive he's already got a $350 million offer from somewhere.

These things take time.

Eventually, some teams will realize time to execute the rest of their off-season plans is slipping away and drop out...or not.

I'm constantly amazed that so many folks seem to think any old team has $13M of payroll available to put into one player.

The ones that can and want to, would have to think Tejada is the player to invest that money in. Not a small consideration given Tejada's decline, his age, and the PED concerns.

The ones that can and want to, and think Tejada is the player to invest that money in, would have to have a place for him to play.

The ones that can and want to, and think Tejada is the player to invest that money in, and have a place for him to play, would have to have a package of players the O's would be interested in acquiring.

The ones that can and want to, and think Tejada is the player to invest that money in, and have a place for him to play, and have a package of players the O's would be interested in acquiring, would have to be willing to part with that package of players.

As you can see, the question is far more complicated than, "who wouldn't want Tejada?"

Also likely have an interest in ARod and thus puts us in a holding pattern...

With talk of Corey Patterson getting 5/50 this offseason, I think $13 million a year for Tejada is a freaking bargain.

This is what I think as well. The opening bid for ARod was 10/$350mil. to the Yankees. Boras has put himself on the line to get at least that much and he will take as long as he can to get as close to that as possible.

Boras has shown tremendous instincts for how much the market will bear over the years, but this time I think he may have misjudged things. Despite the monster year he just had, A-Rod at age 33-40 simply isn't as valuable as A-Rod at ages 26-32. He's now 4 years removed from playing SS and he is less valuable as a 3B than as a SS. And time has shown that his presence on a team doesn't guarantee success or even major improvement. I'm sure some team will pony up 8 years, $180 mm but I'm not sure he'll see much more than that, in which case he might have been better off playing out his old contract and then signing a 5-6 year deal. Only time will tell.

Hitting the nail on the head

Boras has shown tremendous instincts for how much the market will bear over the years, but this time I think he may have misjudged things. Despite the monster year he just had, A-Rod at age 33-40 simply isn't as valuable as A-Rod at ages 26-32. He's now 4 years removed from playing SS and he is less valuable as a 3B than as a SS. And time has shown that his presence on a team doesn't guarantee success or even major improvement. I'm sure some team will pony up 8 years, $180 mm but I'm not sure he'll see much more than that, in which case he might have been better off playing out his old contract and then signing a 5-6 year deal. Only time will tell.
I doubt that Boras miscalculted by that much. He may not get $300 mil. but he will probably get more than he would have gotten had he stayed with the MFY's and he will take to ST to get it.

Archived