BASH BROTHERS PART DEUX has begun

tinamodotti

Nobody has spent more time than me this year advocating the position that pitching is the biggest problem we have, by far. However, I'm not sure we can get the pitching to be average or above by adding outside talent. If you think we can, tell me who you'd like to acquire, and how.

Obviously, no matter whether the pitching is good or bad, more runs scored = more wins. So if we can find a way to score 100 more runs, I'm in favor of doing it, even if that alone can't make us a contender. 100 runs ~ 10 extra wins. The rest can only come by improving the pitching. In my opinion, most of the pitching improvement is going to have to come from improvement by the young pitchers we already have. There simply aren't a lot of top starters out there on the market or available in a trade that makes sense.

Sure, anyway to improve the team. I'm just saying that the offense isn't our problem. Certainly scoring another 100 runs would net us more wins, but we'd most likely STILL be under .500.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nobody has spent more time than me this year advocating the position that pitching is the biggest problem we have, by far. However, I'm not sure we can get the pitching to be average or above by adding outside talent. If you think we can, tell me who you'd like to acquire, and how.

Obviously, no matter whether the pitching is good or bad, more runs scored = more wins. So if we can find a way to score 100 more runs, I'm in favor of doing it, even if that alone can't make us a contender. 100 runs ~ 10 extra wins. The rest can only come by improving the pitching. In my opinion, most of the pitching improvement is going to have to come from improvement by the young pitchers we already have. There simply aren't a lot of top starters out there on the market or available in a trade that makes sense.

I'm not Puck, and am much too fat to play him in MIDSUMMER'S NIGHT DREAM, but I would spend 20M per(includes 50M posting fee) for Darvish. We get the TOR SP we need.

Darvish

Britton

Guthrie

Matusz

Hunter/Arrieta/Simon/ Bergesen/Tillman, looks a lot better than what we started this year with.

SP's for 2012 that I'd at least look at: Buehrle [currently making $14 million], Rich Harden [only making $1.5 million] , Hiroki Kuroda [currently making $11 million], Adam Wainwright [was signed in 2008 to a 4 year/$15 contract, injured in 2011], Chris Young [injured, could be had for cheap], Freddy Garcia [$1.5 million], etc.

I'd probably stay away from Buehrle and Kuroda. They are way too expensive. I'd take long looks at Harden, Young, Garcia, and Wainwright.

But the market isn't that great. Our success is entirely tied to our young arms.

SP's for 2012 that I'd at least look at: Buehrle [currently making $14 million], Rich Harden [only making $1.5 million] , Hiroki Kuroda [currently making $11 million], Adam Wainwright [was signed in 2008 to a 4 year/$15 contract, injured in 2011], Chris Young [injured, could be had for cheap], Freddy Garcia [$1.5 million], etc.

I'd probably stay away from Buehrle and Kuroda. They are way too expensive. I'd take long looks at Harden, Young, Garcia, and Wainwright.

But the market isn't that great. Our success is entirely tied to our young arms.

So basically you're saying we're screwed. :P

Your not making sense. The contract should be what Fielder is likely to produce. Because of his weight issues, he can't be counted on for much more than 5 years at 100-120M. I think just about every GM would agree with that. But it's an auction. How much can you afford to overbid, against how badly do you need him? You can't believe the rumors and press leaks, because these are often just agent/GM gamesmanship.

Whatever you say man. If you don't think a good GM can make a logical guess as to what a FA is likely to get then I don't know what to tell you. More likely is that you understand that, but won't back down from what you said. Either way, it's my fault for discussing something with you.

Whatever you say man. If you don't think a good GM can make a logical guess as to what a FA is likely to get then I don't know what to tell you. More likely is that you understand that, but won't back down from what you said. Either way, it's my fault for discussing something with you.
How many GM's do you know?

Why not Edwin Jackson? And why not take a chance on Drvish? I don't see it as any more of a gamble than Fielder, only cheaper.

You know, I glossed over Jackson accidentally on this list: http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2001/04/potential-free-agents-for-2012.html

But, yes, Jackson is a guy we should be targetting. He's a guy you might have to sign for 3-4 years, which isn't a bad thing since he'll be 28 at the end of this season and has averaged 194 IP over 162 game average.

As for Darvish, I'd like to see us take a chance on him as well. If anything, stock pile as many arms as possible.

Why not Edwin Jackson? And why not take a chance on Drvish? I don't see it as any more of a gamble than Fielder, only cheaper.
You know, I glossed over Jackson accidentally on this list: http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2001/04/potential-free-agents-for-2012.html

But, yes, Jackson is a guy we should be targetting. He's a guy you might have to sign for 3-4 years, which isn't a bad thing since he'll be 28 at the end of this season and has averaged 194 IP over 162 game average.

As for Darvish, I'd like to see us take a chance on him as well. If anything, stock pile as many arms as possible.

From Jayson Stark

Edwin Jackson has given up 10 R today in his 2nd start as a Cardinal. He's now given up 8+ R 5 times since 10/2/09 - w/ 4 different teams!

I would much rather allocate resources internally then spend what it would take to get Jackson or Darvish in Baltimore.

And now this is another Fielder thread. Instead of talking about Davis's inability to really walk we're now back onto Fielder.

I thought it was interesting to note in 2009 he really was bad against the fastball. He was close to average against breaking stuff, but 10 runs below average against the fastball. Woulda thought a power guy like this would be more of a fastball type hitter.

He has a very quick bat. I think for a bit, he may have been waiting on the offspeed junk they throw at him and using his quick wrists to go to the opposite field on a fastball. Like last night.

And how about that August/September Buck Showalter magic. Here we go for another 34-23 finish!
That would put us at 77-86, our best record since 2004. Let's do it.

Meh, I'd much rather have the higher draft pick - We need it badly.

Sucks that I went to bed before the 9th inning. I just watched the highlights on ESPN.COM, both of those blasts were really impressive. I can't believe that smooth opposite field swing for Davis got that ball near the waterfalls out there.

is everyone writing arrieta off too early? i mean from what i read, he gets the surgery and should be fine - the FO is certainly making it seem like its not something that will take too much time to get back from... am I off in my thinking? I mean Jake does have 10 wins pitching with a gimpy arm and some of his recent poor starts are a direct result of the injury...

is everyone writing arrieta off too early? i mean from what i read, he gets the surgery and should be fine - the FO is certainly making it seem like its not something that will take too much time to get back from... am I off in my thinking? I mean Jake does have 10 wins pitching with a gimpy arm and some of his recent poor starts are a direct result of the injury...

Who is writing him off, or our other young pitchers for that matter? The question is merely whether we should have all our pitching eggs in that basket.

Next Year.

If he does not end up needing Tommy John.

I don't care about strikeouts, I just care about these guys having a respectable OBP. In Reynold's case, his .337 OBP is right around his career .334 number, and that's acceptable for a power hitter. I am absolutely satisfied with what he has provided on offense. I just wish he was not such a disappointment defensively.

As to Davis, let's see what he can do with regular playing time. His career .299 OBP won't cut it, but he has a minor league career OBP of .374 so I have hope that he can replicate Reynolds' OBP if he gets enough playing time. The power is certainly there and there is little doubt in my mind he'd hit 30 bombs if he played 150 games.

What we really need is for some other guys to be setting the table better. Andino leads the team in OBP at .342. That's pretty pathetic for a team high.

The Red Sox have three players with OBP over .400. Our team sucks. Ugh!

Archived