Could the Angels be clearing a spot for Tejada

Sportfanatic4

I don't think they want Miggy. He's deteriorated so much as SS, my guess is they're going after Cabrerra from the Marlins for 3B.

THAT ISN"T TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry it's not directed at you. I just can't stand everyone saying Tejada is a poor defensive SS as a fact.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Isn't win share a counting stat?

Yes, but so what? 9.2 to 2.9 is a huge differential, and any impact cause by Tejada playing 20-30 fewer games is minimal in relation to that gap.

I hope you understand I'm not saying the stats I quoted are more valid than the ones quoted by Baltimoron. I'm just expressing my frustration that, after all these years, the most sophisiticated attempts to measure overall defensive contributions still are not in agreement with each other. You can pretty much make any argument you want depending on the stat you choose.

Yes, but so what? 9.2 to 2.9 is a huge differential, and any impact cause by Tejada playing 20-30 fewer games is minimal in relation to that gap.

I hope you understand I'm not saying the stats I quoted are more valid than the ones quoted by Baltimoron. I'm just expressing my frustration that, after all these years, the most sophisiticated attempts to measure overall defensive contributions still are not in agreement with each other. You can pretty much make any argument you want depending on the stat you choose.

Anybody know how the Fielding Bible ranks the two?

THAT ISN"T TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry it's not directed at you. I just can't stand everyone saying Tejada is a poor defensive SS as a fact.

Everytime I see his defense discussed in the media it's not positive. From one article:

"His arm is still a plus, but his range is very limited," said one scout, who has watched Tejada closely throughout his career. (Because of potential tampering violations, the scout asked to remain anonymous.) "He's really gone backward in terms of first-step quickness and his range. Really, I think most people think that he should be playing third base. I've been saying this since last year. Almost every game, there are one or two balls that he's not getting to that he used to field."

Whether or not what is said is accurate, that seems to be the general perception and will drive what we can get back from him.

Having watched Orlando Cabrera regularly out here in LA the last few years, I will tell you that if the O's could get HIM for Tejada even up -- since it's Kenny Williams of the ChiSox who says he is looking for a big fish -- that would be a sensational deal for the Orioles -- he actually hits phenomenally well and is as good a glove at SS as there is in the AL. Another alterantive.

Everytime I see his defense discussed in the media it's not positive. From one article:

Whether or not what is said is accurate, that seems to be the general perception and will drive what we can get back from him.

Sure he isn't a GG like he use to be, but that doesn't mean he isn't average.

Having watched Orlando Cabrera regularly out here in LA the last few years, I will tell you that if the O's could get HIM for Tejada even up -- since it's Kenny Williams of the ChiSox who says he is looking for a big fish -- that would be a sensational deal for the Orioles -- he actually hits phenomenally well and is as good a glove at SS as there is in the AL. Another alterantive.

If the Orioles traded Miguel Tejada for Orlando Cabrera- I would hand in my resignation as a lifelong fan. :mad:

On Scout.com...the LAA board feels this is the first step of something to come. Running approx 60/40 that it is Cabrera over Miggy.

I just checked the Angels board over at ESPN.com. For what it's worth, most of them think a deal for Tejada is in the works. From what I saw, not much mention made of MCab. I think most of the Angels fans think the price tag is way too high for him.

If the perception was that he is average defensively I don't think there would be talk that he should move to 3B.

Sometimes the perception isn't really accurate. The stats don't seem to back this train of thought up. I think defense is the easiest area to be mislead as a scout. The terrible plays are going to stick with you. And, he certainly has made some plays that are utterly horrific. But, I think they become exaggerated and cause many to slander his defensive abilities. He's not great, but he's certainly adequate. I would think a lot of teams would be fine with an adequate SS who can hit. I mean, teams let guys like Hanley trot out there everyday...

I just checked the Angels board over at ESPN.com. For what it's worth, most of them think a deal for Tejada is in the works. From what I saw, not much mention made of MCab. I think most of the Angels fans think the price tag is way too high for him.

Interesting....

Who knows what we will get for Miggy ?

They wanted to give us Santana and Aybar. We balked. We wanted more.

Since then they have got a new GM. But, Tejada has lost value since then, too.

??????

Wood and Santana ?

Wood and Aybar ?

If Wood isn't in the deal, I would be disappointed.

Although, Morales, Aybar, Santana may be a good deal in the long run.

Who knows.

I like LAD prospects more, but you have to dance with a willing partner.

Yahoo Sports

"The Los Angeles Angels on Monday traded shortstop Orlando Cabrera to the Chicago White Sox for starter Jon Garland, a deal that has industry insiders speculating over what could be next for both teams.

"What this means is it gives us opportunities to strengthen our club in other areas," Reagins said. "It gives us flexibility to look at other things. It opens up opportunities to do things down the line."

In addition to pursuing Cabrera, the Angels have had conversations with the Baltimore Orioles about Miguel Tejada. However, if the Angels are unable to acquire a strong bat, the trade weakens what already was a batting order in need of pop.

"We have considered Santana in relief," Scioscia said. "Right now, we are extremely happy to be able to acquire an arm like Jon's. It's exciting to get a guy who pitched in big games, and get pitching depth at a time when that's tough to do in baseball."

"Tony's not done yet," Scioscia said of Reagins. "Let's see what happens before we settle in and see what our club will be." "

Archived