Dylan Bundy TONIGHT 4/24

Snutchy

I know that innings limits are imposed on all young arms in an effort to limit the increase from one year to the next.

I keep hearing the number of innings for Bundy is between 120-125. However, do you believe the organization is giving any consideration to the actual effort of the innings Bundy has accrued so far?

From all accounts, Bundy is cruising, throwing somewhere around 10 pitches an inning, not pitching out of the stretch, not really taxed in anyway. So is it possible that Bundy could be somewher closer to 140 innings before the year is out?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Putting aside how stressful it it to throw a pitch at different levels, the bigger difference would be how many pitches are being thrown per inning. In that sense, one would assume that 4 innings of no-hit, no walk ball in low A (44 pitches total) is less stressful than 4 innings where he is being challenged in AA.

Yeah that line was ore at the poster who feels he'll have Tommy John surgery if he progresses to fast. The level itself has nothing to do with injury it's how he is used at that level.

From all accounts, Bundy is cruising, throwing somewhere around 10 pitches an inning, not pitching out of the stretch, not really taxed in anyway. So is it possible that Bundy could be somewher closer to 140 innings before the year is out?

I think the answer would be yes, until you ask what that accomplishes for you.

I'm not sure tacking on 15-30 innings will help unless the organization feels like he needs that to better prepare for the next year.

I actually like how the O's are managing his innings, not just in the aggregate, but also in working up to an in-game amount.

I think the answer would be yes, until you ask what that accomplishes for you.

I'm not sure tacking on 15-30 innings will help unless the organization feels like he needs that to better prepare for the next year.

I actually like how the O's are managing his innings, not just in the aggregate, but also in working up to an in-game amount.

If he keeps pitching like this, he may need that extra 15-30 innings to hit his mandated pitch counts toward the end of the year. :P

Do you know why Boston is starting Barnes out in LoA? He's in his age 22 year, a first round college SP who's been going 5-6 IP each time out, and he clearly is too good for the hitters in the SAL. Is it just a confidence building thing?

So, you are saying that in eighteen months, Barnes will be Chris Tillman?

Yes. I needed to be more clear.

Tillman was a HSer, Mr. Williams.

In Eighteen months, Barnes will be washed up like Tillman if he is not a polished major league pitcher. That is what I meant. I was just teasing about his age. ;)

Yes. I needed to be more clear.

In Eighteen months, Barnes will be washed up like Tillman if he is not a polished major league pitcher. That is what I meant. I was just teasing about his age. ;)

Should have known...you win, you always do!

@MarkViviano: In rare betw-innings interview, Hammel says his 3K inning was a tribute to Dylan Bundy. Hammel hopes he can be as good as Bundy some day.

Looks like DB7 is getting the attention of the boys on the big league club.

Prospect #1: RHP Dylan Bundy

Background with Player: Industry sources

Who: The fourth overall pick in the 2011 draft, Bundy was seen by many, including Kevin Goldstein, as the best player available in the entire class, which, if you haven’t noticed, has a chance of being historically incredibl. Bundy is the rare high school draftee that arrives on the scene with a combination of now stuff and slick polish. The 19-year-old native of Oklahoma has elite upside, with all the characteristics necessary to profile as an ace. His body is strong and mature, and his delivery is clean and repeatable. His fastball can work comfortably in the mid-90s and has touched triple digits. It’s a lively offering that Bundy shows preternatural command over, not only in the ability to locate the pitch but to change speeds and vary the movement (2/4/cut). The curveball projects to be a plus offering, and those who have seen it in person rave about its shape. High school arms don’t usually enter professional ball with plus changeups for a reason, but Bundy already has a changeup that grades out at that level, and some think it could be a 7 pitch at maturity. It’s very uncommon to find a pitcher with this combination of stuff, polish, and pitchability, and barring an unforeseen injury, Bundy looks like a future ace at the major league level. How many arms can boast that ceiling? This is a special arm.

What Could Go Wrong in 2012: We don’t know yet. Not passing the buck, but we haven’t been given a long enough look so far in 2012; Bundy is pitching with too much efficiency and having too much success, and the sample size is too small to really get a good picture of what (if any) holes exist in the skill set. It’s hard to breakdown how he will use pitch sequence multiple times through an order, or how he will respond when he doesn’t have his best stuff, or how he will respond to failure because he’s only thrown 13 innings and has crushed the competition like a major leaguer on a rehab assignment. In those 13 innings, Bundy has dropped 21 hitters on strikes, walked one, and has allowed a grand total of zero hits. The reality is that Bundy might not face a serious test until he reaches Double-A, and even then the test might be an easy one for him to pass. I’m not trying to overhype just to overhype, but there are some people in the industry who think Bundy has the necessary ingredients to pitch at the major league level this season. I can appreciate the excitement, but the developmental process is more than just finding success at your particular minor league assignment, and Bundy still has a lot to learn as a pitcher and as a person. This is going to be fun to watch over the season, and, with more looks and more innings, we will be able to paint a better picture.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=16657

Joel (KCK): In regards to Dylan Bundy, when does it become as apparent to the Oriole's organization as it is to all of us that he's ready to face more challenging hitters at the next level of the minors? That being said, do you remember any pitcher in recent history who made it look so easy at his age and level?

Jim Callis: I don't remember anyone else his age who has made it look this easy. There's no reason to rush him to Baltimore because the Orioles aren't close to contending anytime soon, so I think the focus is just on keeping him healthy for 120 innings or so. I bet they don't promote him before midseason. Next year, I could see him shooting from Double-A to the majors.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/chat/2012/2613306.html

Archived