J'Accuse

luismatos4prez

You have strange ideas about statistics.

I find using 5 games out of 162 as a sample to be very strange.

That article was what it was....I was more trying to address how people around here seem to be blaming getting swept on the fact that the Blue Jays steal signs.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If a pitcher has averaged a certain home run rate over the course of his career (ie: the mean), then without any significant change in circumstances, I would expect him to be right around that number again. Keep in mind that his numbers away from Coors last year (1 home run every 10 innings), were still far better than his numbers this year.

Also keep in mind that the ballparks he played in most often in the NL West (Dodger Stadium, Petco, AT&T all top 5 pitcher parks in MLB) probably helped his numbers the other way as well.

Lucky Jim is asserting that such a significant change in circumstances has occurred.

That article was what it was....I was more trying to address how people around here seem to be blaming getting swept on the fact that the Blue Jays steal signs.

Find one post that did that. Please.

You've been called out on this numerous times in this thread, and have yet to defend it. Please do.

You've been called out on this numerous times in this thread, and have yet to defend it. Please do.

If I accuse someone of cheating, aren't I indirectly saying that they wouldn't have won if not for the cheating?

Instead of talking about how bad Hammel was, now we're talking about that it wasn't his fault. I'd prefer to focus on how our pitching staff is coming back to earth, and how DD can figure out a way to stop the bleeding.

Blue Jays 2012

@ Rogers Center (15-10)

Opponents .233/.312/.400/.712 29HR 88BB 193K (953 PA)

Blue Jays .262/.332/.471/.803 42HR 81BB 183K (930 PA)

Away (12-14)

Opponents .250/.344/.428/.772 35HR 119BB 173K (1017 PA)

Blue Jays .231/.291/.369/.660 30HR 79BB 179K (1027 PA)

The one thing that really stands out is their ability to crank home runs at home.

If I accuse someone of cheating, aren't I indirectly saying that they wouldn't have won if not for the cheating?

Instead of talking about how bad Hammel was, now we're talking about that it wasn't his fault. I'd prefer to focus on how our pitching staff is coming back to earth, and how DD can figure out a way to stop the bleeding.

If I say Bonds was cheating, I am not saying he wasn't a great hitter or that he wouldn't have hit a lot of HR. Just not quite as many. Hammel pitched pretty well last night, except for four pitches. I don't blame him for the loss. I blame the offense for not figuring out what to do about Morrow's slider.

If I say Bonds was cheating, I am not saying he wasn't a great hitter or that he wouldn't have hit a lot of HR. Just not quite as many. Hammel pitched pretty well last night, except for four pitches. I don't blame him for the loss. I blame the offense for not figuring out what to do about Morrow's slider.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/529745-denver-broncos-spygate-2-leads-to-shocking-news-about-new-england-patriots

Indeed. And Cito Still ...

Maybe you are. No one here is.

I'll reiterate just how annoying I think it is when people wade into a conversation, argue substantive points, get eviscerated, and then try to claim they, in fact, were arguing some wholly other point having to do with some irrelevant, overarching position (that usually amounts to "you're a kool aid drinker"/"I'm a realist").

It's disingenuous, self-aggrandizing, irrelevant, and a waste of bandwidth.

This is what I said:

The fact that 5 of Hammel's 7 HRs allowed this year have been in Toronto raises my suspicions. (along with the other accusations). It is interesting to compare the pitching lines of the O's who have faced the Jays at both Camden Yards and Rogers Center (Arrieta has not faced the Jays at home yet this year):

How you went from "raises my suspicions. (along with other accusations)" and "it is interesting to compare" to "using 5 games out of 162 as a sample" and "blaming getting swept on the fact the Blue Jays steal signs" is beyond me. No where did I say 5 games by itself provides conclusive evidence. And no where did I blame the O's losses on the possibility of the Jays' stealing signs. In fact, if you look at another quote of mine in this thread, you would see that I thought the O's missed an opportunity if the Jays are truly stealing signs:

That said, if the Blue Jays had to have a press conference to deny this last year, then why didn't the Orioles change their signs with no one on base like the Yankees did? If they are stealing signs, keep your mouth shut, and change your signs the next time you're in town. Then the O's would have an advantage.

This is what I said:

How you went from "raises my suspicions. (along with other accusations)" and "it is interesting to compare" to "using 5 games out of 162 as a sample" and "blaming getting swept on the fact the Blue Jays steal signs" is beyond me. No where did I blame the O's losses on the possibility of the Jays' stealing signs. In fact, if you look at another quote of mine in this thread, you would see that I thought the O's missed an opportunity if the Jays are truly stealing signs:

I would prefer that they get caught and demoted to the CBL. Oh, And have Cito Banned from baseball. Yes, I know he is no longer the manager ;)

I would prefer that they get caught and demoted to the CBL. Oh, And have Cito Banned from baseball. Yes, I know he is no longer the manager ;)
Forgive my ignorance, but just what is Cito's major crime? I wouldn't think it is just being a notorious sign stealer. Why is he so reviled?

Archived