Juan Pierre and Joe Blanton O's are going after them

Greg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I don't understand the venom about Pierre. He is a good player! He has always been a thorn in the side of the O's. Sure he isn't a sexy move. But as far as good fundamental ballplayers go he is a prime model. He's only struck out like 13 times this year. That in itself would be a breath of fresh air.

I don't know much but this I do know. You don't bet the farm on two month rentals, and I think we could get some solid production out of Pierre without giving up much.

Yeah I don't understand the venom about Pierre. He is a good player! He has always been a thorn in the side of the O's. Sure he isn't a sexy move. But as far as good fundamental ballplayers go he is a prime model. He's only struck out like 13 times this year. That in itself would be a breath of fresh air.

I don't know much but this I do know. You don't bet the farm on two month rentals, and I think we could get some solid production out of Pierre without giving up much.

The fundamental job of a player on offense is to not make outs.

Pierre is not very good at that.

What relevance is that? Just because the O's have a bunch of low OBP players already they should add another one?

Warning: cacophonous echo.

Pierre's OBP is .354 this year. His career OBP is .346. I don't know how Pierre is getting on base at his current clip, but he'd lead the Orioles by 21 points.

Once again, I'm not in favor of trading for a player whose primary skill (i.e., speed) is probably on the decline***, but the knocks against Pierre that frequently appear on this board are unfair bordering on...just dumb.

***Pierre's stolen 21 bases (caught four times) this year...which is 65% of the O's team total.

What relevance is that? Just because the O's have a bunch of low OBP players already they should add another one?

Meant to quote this...

Pierre is .354 OBP this year and less than 10 pts higher than his career mark. He's far and away better than anyone on our team if we got him. Why are you so down on him if OBP is your argument?

Pierre is .354 OBP this year and less than 10 pts higher than his career mark. He's far and away better than anyone on our team if we got him. Why are you so down on him if OBP is your argument?

Because trading for a 34 year old with terrible walk rates who is having his best season BA since '04 doesn't make sense. This team shouldn't be trading anyone for a short term fix.

Because trading for a 34 year old with terrible walk rates who is having his best season BA since '04 doesn't make sense. This team shouldn't be trading anyone for a short term fix.

Because .308 in 2009 was too low to consider? Given that this season mirrors that one almost category-for-category, IMO, it'd make a better comparison (as opposed to implying that he hasn't posted a great season for eight years). Furthermore, his K/BB ratio is right in line with his career numbers. He's always around 1:1, and he never accrues very much of either. Pierre's BABIP isn't even wildly out of line with his typical numbers.

And regardless, making the argumentative jump from OBP to BA doesn't make much sense, either. Pierre's a solid player. I don't think he's the kind of guy the O's should be targeting, but that's no reason to disparage the guy's abilities. Compared to most Orioles, he's Superman.

Because .308 in 2009 was too low to consider? Given that this season mirrors that one almost category-for-category, IMO, it'd make a better comparison (as opposed to implying that he hasn't posted a great season for eight years). Furthermore, his K/BB ratio is right in line with his career numbers. He's always around 1:1, and he never accrues very much of either. Pierre's BABIP isn't even wildly out of line with his typical numbers.

And regardless, making the argumentative jump from OBP to BA doesn't make much sense, either. Pierre's a solid player. I don't think he's the kind of guy the O's should be targeting, but that's no reason to disparage the guy's abilities. Compared to most Orioles, he's Superman.

His OBP is BA driven, therefor it is relevant.

Career 709 OPS is superman level now? Glad I was a Marvel fan growing up.

Well, I've already said we should be sellers, so, I'd agree with you there. Terrible walk rates? Compared to who or what? And you are going back all the way to 2004? With the Dodgers in 2009 his OBP was .365 in 425 ABs. Not enough Abs? How about .341 in 2010 with the WSox in 734 ABs? It wasn't that long ago. And he's doing well this year, who cares why? If they didn't have to give up much, even my thoughts of them being sellers would be up for discussion to get someone who is clearly getting on base at a better rate than anyone we currently have on the roster.

However, I'd just as soon have Avery back up in Sept. before I trade away our thin positional prospects for a short term fix in the hopes that he provides us better chances of getting to the playoffs.

Archived