Possible Tejada scenario?

Sports Guy

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would be hard no doubt but the Tigers and Marlins are good examples of players plugging young talented players into the mix and getting great results.

Also think back to how the 1989 Orioles competed. When you get younger and better defensively good things can happen.

Well, any plugging of young players into positions of need is going to start with the word "IF".... if insert name can bla bla bla... I don't want to rely on "IF" next season... now if we can blend some quality young guys with some solid trades or signings, maybe that can work... but I haven't seen that recipe as of yet.

Well, any plugging of young players into positions of need is going to start with the word "IF".... if insert name can bla bla bla... I don't want to rely on "IF" next season... now if we can blend some quality young guys with some solid trades or signings, maybe that can work... but I haven't seen that recipe as of yet.

Whats the difference of plugging in "IF" young players.

I'd rather do that than watch guys in the down fall of their career "IF" we can even sign them.

Show me your options...

Trade Tejada for Santana, Aybar and Kotchman

Trade for Tehan from KC

Trade for Valverde from Arizona

Trade Daniel Cabrera and mid level for Crawford

Trade Mora

Lineup

C - Hernandez

1B - Kotchman

2B- Roberts

3B- Tehan

SS - Aybar

LF - Crawford

CF - Patterson

RF - Markakis

DH - Gibbons

Rotation

Santana

Bedard

Benson

Loewen

Penn

Whats the difference of plugging in "IF" young players.

I'd rather do that than watch guys in the down fall of their career "IF" we can even sign them.

Ok, we can disagree there.. I prefer the "IF" Carlos Lee can produce at his carer numbers we'll be more than satisified

than

"IF" Santana can repeat last seasons performance, and "IF" Aybar can show he is now a MLB player and "IF" Kotchman can recover from his illness and perform at what his minor league stats show he is capable of... etc...

Trade Tejada for Santana, Aybar and Kotchman

Trade for Tehan from KC

Trade for Valverde from Arizona

Trade Daniel Cabrera and mid level for Crawford

Trade Mora

Lineup

C - Hernandez

1B - Kotchman

2B- Roberts

3B- Tehan

SS - Aybar

LF - Crawford

CF - Patterson

RF - Markakis

DH - Gibbons

Rotation

Santana

Bedard

Benson

Loewen

Penn

Thanks... that is an option... I like mine better.

Ok, we can disagree there.. I prefer the "IF" Carlos Lee can produce at his carer numbers we'll be more than satisified

than

"IF" Santana can repeat last seasons performance, and "IF" Aybar can show he is now a MLB player and "IF" Kotchman can recover from his illness and perform at what his minor league stats show he is capable of... etc...

Thankfully you aren't the GM.

How you would want Carlos Lee who is going to be on the decline of his career very soon over Santana Aybar and Kotchman all with great upside is beyond me.

Thankfully you aren't the GM.

How you would want Carlos Lee who is going to be on the decline of his career very soon over Santana Aybar and Kotchman all with great upside is beyond me.

Because you are assuming:

That not only can Aybar and Kotchman produce at the MLB level, but can do so considerably above their ARP.

That CLee while has a good track record of production, won't be worth much in 2 years.

That Santana having one good year will reproduce that level or improve upon it. I think Mussina will be as good or better than Santana over the next 2 years if he stays healthy.

I like my assumptions better... and I want to compete next year.. I'll worry about 2009 later..

Well, I haven't seen anything proposed that would lead to me to believe that.

1st- Kotchman

2nd- Roberts

SS- Aybar

3rd- Ensberg

LF- Mora

CF- CPat

RF- Markakis

C- Hernandez

DH- Burrell

Valentin- Backup C

Cruz Jr- Gets some time in CF versus tough lefties..Late inning replacement for MelMo

Millar- if he accepts back up role

Bedard

Lackey/Santana

Loewen

DCab

Penn/Rlo

Ray

Britton

Rhodes

Rlo/Penn

3 relievers acquired in trade or free agency..power arms

This team may or may not compete but like every other team that any of us will show, it will rely on DCab and Loewen and to an extent, Penn.

The defense would be great....Build a dominant bullpen...Make the games 6 innings. Good depth....High OBP...Rotation goes either way depending on DCab and Loewen but we have 2 top of the rotation guys and 2-3 other possible top of the rotation guys.

Alot more speed as well...3 potential 40+ SB guys.

The offense probably scores in the 825-850 run neighborhood. Pitchign staff has the potential to be a staff with a 4ish ERA.

Improved defense makes the pitching better.

Now, this team may not contend and probably needs another bat but if Markakis keeps developing and Kotchman gives us Gonzalez-like production next year, we would have plenty of offense to compete.

Good chance we could lead the league in doubles as well.

I think this team is as likely to compete as a team with Tejada, Lee, Lilly and Meche...It is just going about it in another way and focusing on things like the BP, defense and depth.

And we wouldn't be bogged down by long term deals for players who likely won't live up to them.

Show me your options...

I try trade for Ensberg and Burrell. Ensberg at 3b and Mora in LF makes the defense better thereby helping the pitching staff. Penciling those two into the lineup more than makes up for the offense I'm losing when I see if I can trade Tejada for Aybar, Santana and Kotchman. I plug Aybar in a SS if he's ready, if not I put a stop gap their for the 1st half of the season. I pencil in Kotchman at 1st which improves the defense thereby helping the pitching staff. I've also added Santana to the rotation with Bedard, Benson, Cabrera and Loewen and if Penn shows he's ready than at the end of Spring Training or halfway through the season I move Benson hoping to get a MLB ready prospect to plug into LF at which point I turn Mora back into supersub if he's still playing at the level he was in the 2nd half of this year. If he is then it's more young pitching I try to acquire.

We would need the young pitchers to develop as quickly as Detroit's have to be a legitimate contender in 2007 but I think we'd be setup beautifully going into the 2008 season.

That not only can Aybar and Kotchman produce at the MLB level, but can do so considerably above their ARP.

That CLee while has a good track record of production, won't be worth much in 2 years.

That Santana having one good year will reproduce that level or improve upon it. I think Mussina will be as good or better than Santana over the next 2 years if he stays healthy.

I like my assumptions better...

It's not like Aybar Kotchman and Santana are scrub prospects. These guys are very very good prospects.

Santana has already proven that he can compete over the course of a full season, and would have been our second best starter this year. Not to mention the guy turns 24 this December.

Your assumptions are that Pete spends money, and that those guys would actually sign here.

1st- Kotchman

2nd- Roberts

SS- Aybar

3rd- Ensberg

LF- Mora

CF- CPat

RF- Markakis

C- Hernandez

DH- Burrell

Valentin- Backup C

Cruz Jr- Gets some time in CF versus tough lefties..Late inning replacement for MelMo

Millar- if he accepts back up role

Bedard

Lackey/Santana

Loewen

DCab

Penn/Rlo

Ray

Britton

Rhodes

Rlo/Penn

3 relievers acquired in trade or free agency..power arms

This team may or may not compete but like every other team that any of us will show, it will rely on DCab and Loewen and to an extent, Penn.

The defense would be great....Build a dominant bullpen...Make the games 6 innings. Good depth....High OBP...Rotation goes either way depending on DCab and Loewen but we have 2 top of the rotation guys and 2-3 other possible top of the rotation guys.

Alot more speed as well...3 potential 40+ SB guys.

The offense probably scores in the 825-850 run neighborhood. Pitchign staff has the potential to be a staff with a 4ish ERA.

Improved defense makes the pitching better.

Now, this team may not contend and probably needs another bat but if Markakis keeps developing and Kotchman gives us Gonzalez-like production next year, we would have plenty of offense to compete.

Good chance we could lead the league in doubles as well.

I think this team is as likely to compete as a team with Tejada, Lee, Lilly and Meche...It is just going about it in another way and focusing on things like the BP, defense and depth.

And we wouldn't be bogged down by long term deals for players who likely won't live up to them.

That's not a bad option. What is the alternative if Burrell won't come? I would still be interested in adding Mussina to the rotation and bump Penn/RLo to the pen. I'm not sure your offense is enough, but if the pitching is good enough it may not have to be.

That's not a bad option. What is the alternative if Burrell won't come? I would still be interested in adding Mussina to the rotation and bump Penn/RLo to the pen. I'm not sure your offense is enough, but if the pitching is good enough it may not have to be.

Mussina isn't coming here...Next option...

I like my assumptions better... and I want to compete next year.. I'll worry about 2009 later..

If you only want to acquire sure things to build a contender you need a $120m payroll. You have to trust your scouting and you have to go with "IF" players if you want to compete with the payroll we're going to get.

Archived