Will Machado hit for power?

Fired-Up

Ok maybe not that worst, just kind of irks me that he is bashing machado after one game.

Yeah, I find it pretty lame to. I reread the OP after Frobby said he didn't find it offensive, and it wasn't as bad the second time. I mean, if you want to discuss the possible power upside Machado has, that's fair enough.

But to claim his bat isn't fast after 2 ML abs is downright silly. We simply don't know yet.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, I find it pretty lame to. I reread the OP after Frobby said he didn't find it offensive, and it wasn't as bad the second time. I mean, if you want to discuss the possible power upside Machado has, that's fair enough.

But to claim his bat isn't fast after 2 ML abs is downright silly. We simply don't know yet.

Agreed.

Isn't the physics equation for hitting a baseball: Force = Mass * Acceleration ?

In other words, the Mass of the baseball bat multiplied by how fast you can swing that bat equals the amount of force you hit the ball with. This is why you can't eye-ball bat speed and just say that a guy isn't a power-hitter. A guy swinging a bat that is 5 oz. heavier at the same speed as another guy should, theoretically, have more power, despite the same bat speed.

Isn't the physics equation for hitting a baseball: Force = Mass * Acceleration ?

In other words, the Mass of the baseball bat multiplied by how fast you can swing that bat equals the amount of force you hit the ball with. This is why you can't eye-ball bat speed and just say that a guy isn't a power-hitter. A guy swinging a bat that is 5 oz. heavier at the same speed as another guy should, theoretically, have more power, despite the same bat speed.

Remember, they aren't swinging 2x4s; it's a cylinder.

The two keys to power imo are bat speed, and "squaring" the bat head on the ball.

This is based on your extensive scouting of him? I'm trying to figure out what your game is on this board, but all signs point to a five letter word.

Is it bad that a word starting with "b" popped into my head? Troll never came to mind...

It's an interesting question because we keep hearing how he is a 5 tool player. But does he have power? He had 10 homers in the minors. His bat speed is not that impressive either. He really isn't that big. Although you don't have to be huge to hit homers, it helps.

I remember after Markakis' 23 HR season it was a given in my mind that he would turn into a 35 HR guy. It never happened.

Will Machado ever hit 35 HR's? He reminds me a lot of a right handed Markakis.

The simple answer is... Who Knows?

MiL stat food for thought:

[table=width: 500]

[tr]

[td]Player[/td]

[td]PA[/td]

[td]AB[/td]

[td]HR[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Manny Machado[/td]

[td]928[/td]

[td]820[/td]

[td]23[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Miguel Cabrera[/td]

[td]1597[/td]

[td]1428[/td]

[td]28[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

Both were 20 when they came to the bigs. Really hard to predict how these guys fill out. Granted MCab did hit for higher AVG and OBP, but Machado should be much less a defensive liability in the field... unless he becomes a fat power hitter :D

Put it this way: Nick Markakis is 28 years old and has amassed 21.2 rWAR in his career. There have been 48 players chosen no. 3 overall in the draft. Of those, only six players (12.5% of those drafted at no. 3) accumulated more than 21.2 rWAR in their careers. So if Machado is as valuable as Markakis has been, he will have beaten the odds by a wide margin. And remember, the comparison I made was on offense. A SS or 3B who played good defense and had Nick's offensive numbers would be significantly more valuable than Nick.

As to whether Machado can be a better offensive player than Nick, we will just have to wait and see. Machado was 19 at the beginning of this season; Markakis was 19 on the day he was drafted. While Machado was posting a .768 OPS at Aberdeen in his age 19 season, Machado was posting a .781 at Bowie. Certainly Machado is far ahead of Nick's timetable, but whether that translates to better offensive numbers down the road is uncertain.

I hear ya Frobby. I think Markakis offense at SS (with solid defense) would be fantastic but less so if he ends up at 3B. Plus I think I just have higher career expectations for Machado than a OPS+ of 117. That may be more my problem than his really but given the hoopla and expectations I don't think it is unrealistic to expect better. Agree we are in wait and see mode, I will say I have been encouraged by his progress at AA (given his age).

I hear ya Frobby. I think Markakis offense at SS (with solid defense) would be fantastic but less so if he ends up at 3B. Plus I think I just have higher career expectations for Machado than a OPS+ of 117. That may be more my problem than his really but given the hoopla and expectations I don't think it is unrealistic to expect better. Agree we are in wait and see mode, I will say I have been encouraged by his progress at AA (given his age).

I think the key word in the bolded sentences is "expectations." I don't expect Machado to be a better hitter than Markakis -- but I certainly have realistic hopes that he will be.

I guess my expectations are colored by the experience with Matt Wieters. I learned from that experience that no matter how much a minor league player is hyped, you can't count on him being as good as the hype might suggest. (Though even now, I keep thinking Wieters may explode some year.)

Also, there are recent Hall of Fame level shortstops with an OPS+ under 117, like Barry Larkin (116) and Cal Ripken (112). And Derek Jeter is at exactly 117. So when you are reading hype about a SS, you have to remember that what the scouts are saying is great offfense for a SS is not the same as what great offense for an outifelder would be.

I think the key word in the bolded sentence is "expect." I don't expect Machado to be a better hitter than Markakis -- but I certainly have realistic hopes that he will be.

I guess my expectations are colored by the experience with Matt Wieters. I learned from that experience that no matter how much a minor league player is hyped, you can't count on him being as good as the hype might suggest.

Agreed!!! It's all about expectations. I think most of us are gun shy over Wieters.

(Though even now, I keep thinking Wieters may explode some year.)

Nah his bat speed is too slow.... ;)

Will Machado hit for power? We'll see. His AA ISO is 172 which is almost above average power if it was produced at the major league level. If you believe that wOBA is a good snapshot of overall offensive value, his (if done in the majors) 361 is almost great. If he becomes a definitely above average / almost great offensive performer with borderline above average power can he still be a valuable asset to the organization? I say, screw all the ifs...yes.

I think the key word in the bolded sentences is "expectations." I don't expect Machado to be a better hitter than Markakis -- but I certainly have realistic hopes that he will be.

I guess my expectations are colored by the experience with Matt Wieters. I learned from that experience that no matter how much a minor league player is hyped, you can't count on him being as good as the hype might suggest. (Though even now, I keep thinking Wieters may explode some year.)

Also, there are recent Hall of Fame level shortstops with an OPS+ under 117, like Barry Larkin (116) and Cal Ripken (112). And Derek Jeter is at exactly 117. So when you are reading hype about a SS, you have to remember that what the scouts are saying is great offfense for a SS is not the same as what great offense for an outifelder would be.

Nuance not required Frobby. Just answer the question. Will he develop enough power to overcome his slow bat speed and hit 35 Homeruns? Everybody knows that homerun guys are valuable players.

Ooh! Ooh! Can I nominate "guy who hangs back and tries to drily put down both sides of an argument in a veritable symphony of passive-aggression because he's been burned too many times before to actually try to stake out a legitimate position and thinks that it's easier to be too cool for school than to engage in honest debate but ends up looking like some sort of poser whose ultimate aspiration is to condescend" as a write-in?

I know everyone talks up their candidates - it is awards season, after all - but I really think my guy has a good shot.

Is it me? What do I win if it is?

I think more importantly, can he be a .350 - .400 OBP guy which this team sorely needs. I think I'd prefer him to be a .300/.380/.450 guy than a .260/.320/.500 guy. Although...with his size...if he adds a little bulk, I could see him having ample power.

Archived