Will Machado hit for power?

Fired-Up

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really hated posting in this thread, but I have no doubt that Machado will hit for power. He's going to gain some weight and muscle in the next few years. Just be patient.

I'm going to go start a thread titled "Can Joe Flacco win a Super Bowl?"

I think the key word in the bolded sentences is "expectations." I don't expect Machado to be a better hitter than Markakis -- but I certainly have realistic hopes that he will be.

I guess my expectations are colored by the experience with Matt Wieters. I learned from that experience that no matter how much a minor league player is hyped, you can't count on him being as good as the hype might suggest. (Though even now, I keep thinking Wieters may explode some year.)

Also, there are recent Hall of Fame level shortstops with an OPS+ under 117, like Barry Larkin (116) and Cal Ripken (112). And Derek Jeter is at exactly 117. So when you are reading hype about a SS, you have to remember that what the scouts are saying is great offfense for a SS is not the same as what great offense for an outifelder would be.

It's all about probabilities, and when you're several years ahead of Markakis, who was quite good at 22 and 23, you're bumping your odds up considerably. If Machado puts up a 106 OPS+ during his age 20 season (next year), he'll be something like 50% (picking number out of hat, but two years at this level is HUGE) more likely than Markakis was of having a great career. And Markakis had very good odds.

Eyeballing the list of 100-110 OPS+ seasons at 20 roughly 40% are HOFers, or are in mid-career and have an excellent chance.

Chris davis swing looks slower than molassas on tv and hits with pretty good power. Its deceptive. Machado drove his triple off the wall on a low and outside curve to opposite fiels. Pretty impressive for his 2nd at bat ever. Im sure he has 30hr pop, hes only 19. He will fill in nicely. Plus, he looks a lot bigger than Adam Jones who seems to be a 35 hr guy now

Archived