Will Machado hit for power?

Fired-Up

Meh. I think you're wrong on this one. It was a curveball that he was out infront of. He poked his bat out, got the sweet spot on it, and drove it pretty deep to right-center.

Seeing as he stated he was wrong about 9 posts ago, I'm guessing he won't disagree.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I want the guy to hit home runs. I like Machado. I'm pumped for his career. But what's so special about a triple in the gap? I like home runs. The home run is my favorite play in baseball.

The problem with the OP is that there is no answer. The only reasonable answer is, "I don't know yet." But while there might be hope that he develops that level of HR power, I don't think it's what you should be expecting.

The scouting report on Machado (concerning power) is that he can consistently hit the ball hard; he's young; and that might eventually develop into consistent major league HR power. The minor league stats so far are consistent with that. He's barely removed from HS baseball, and now as you've described it, he's a barely 20-year old facing mostly fully grown men with several years of minor league experience. And he's facing that level, for the first time in his life, on a daily basis. Yet, he's hit 26 doubles, 5 triples, 11 HR's, and got on base 35% of the time.

That sounds pretty good to me. Plenty of major league power guys can be found to have had similar numbers at age 19 or 20... plenty (probably most) can be found to have had worse numbers at lower levels at that age. Then again, plenty of guys who never developed big-time HR power could fit his description too. And who knows how the steroid era impacts potential comparisons.

When they talk about Machado's power potential, it seems that if he sticks at SS defensively, then his power potential is very likely to be plus. And if he moves to 3B permanently, then we'll be hoping even moreso that he achieves the high end of his overall power potential. Regardless, (and here's the thing), we could still be wondering in 2015 or '16 what his power potential is. So again there is no worthwhile way to answer the questions in the OP at this time.

Machado is one of the top position players in the game, but it's fair to question if he's ready for the big leagues. He's a big, athletic infielder at 6-foot-3 and 185 pounds and is a true five-tool player with at least average tools across the board. He has a good feel for the strike zone and a quick bat with enough strength for 20-plus home runs down the road, although he's still growing into his power, which is primarily to the pull side at this time.

Manny doesn't have the profile or skillset of the kind of guy who would be a top 5 SS/3B prospect with no power at all. Will he ever hit 45 dingers? Doubtful, but then again what the hell do I know?

If he ends up being Markakis with the bat and a plus defender at 3B, he's a damn good player. If he ends up that, but at short, he's a star.

We have enough power, anyway. For all the kvetching about our offense, we have a team .162 ISO, 11th in MLB and within .010 of the 5th place team.

I made it through 2 pages of this thread before deciding I didn't want to scroll through the rest. If it's not redundant at this point, I'll give my take.

I graded Machado's power at draft as a current 50/future 60, meaning you could envision plus power on projection alone. My best guess based on his MiL track record and where he is developmentally is that he shows above average to marginal plus in-game power (Maybe 15-25 HR, 30-40 2B, .180ish ISO-P).

Calm down, guy. You're throwing around fairly decent insults on a baseball message board. You shouldn't allow it to get you so worked up.

I post substance all the time. Just because you don't like what I post, or choose to engage in a semantics battle over a word you're clearly using incorrectly, or accuse me of strawman arguments for asking direct questions, which you can't answer, doesn't change that.

For all you're talk about me trying to "look smart" or engage in "sophistry", you're the one who constantly belittles other people's intelligence, and self-describes as one of "the intelligent posters." I don't do either. I think you're projecting.

See, this is exactly what I'm talking about: posts done consistently in bad faith, consistently distorting the facts in a disingenuous way. It smacks of someone, again, that just wants to be involved in personal battles and is especially resentful and contemptuous when they're shown to be wrong, or not doing a good job of explaining/supporting their ideas.

I guarantee you can't show me one example of: 1) "choose to engage in a semantics battle over a word you're clearly using incorrectly" (it was, you, remember, who started a semantics argument out of something I wasn't even interested in and said off-handedly) 2) [falsely] "accuse me of strawman arguments for asking direct questions, which you can't answer" or 3) ....the one who constantly belittles other people's intelligence, and self-describes as one of "the intelligent posters" (I've only belittled your intelligence, and rightly so).

Also, I was calm (ie, I think you're projecting). I can be perfectly calm when I insult you because it's a perfectly reasonable thing to do. You're an irritant who doesn't really have any actual opinions except for the ever-changing one that most annoys the people who are trying to discuss things intelligently on here, or especially those who have put you down and called you out for what you are in the past. (No coincidence, of course, that your disingenuous initial comment was aimed directly at the three people who have called you out most on here: LJ, CA-ORIOLE, and I.)

Start backing up your posts with evidence. Don't go making sweeping, hypocritical, and--frankly--bull**** claims w/o backing them up. Trust me, I could dig up about 20 posts right now backing up my claim that you're an "irritant", a gnat, and I can also similarly come up with a ton of your straw-mans (still don't know how to plural-ify this word :D) if I wanted to. I already provided one example of your prioritizing of rekindling petty arguments/trying to regain face/spitefully going after those who have called you out on your nonsense over substantive discussion, so why don't you back up one of your claims for once. Like I said, I could fill this thread w/ examples of your pestilential style/straw-man arguments, but I don't think the mods would like that.

EDIT: I've made a bit of a straw-man out of you here, so let me qualify a bit: I have, at times, seen you express reasonable opinions, or make substantiative posts, and I don't think you're lacking in intelligence so much as you're a stubborn, pertinacious, grudge-bearing dude. But it's patently obvious to me that when push comes to shove you'll fight a personal battle to the death rather than focusing on the discussion at large and the discussion's sake in things. That is, you do consistently bring down/destroy discussions. LJ compared Fired-Up to Jacques Derrida, but maybe he'd be a better comp. for you. Well, probably not, but you do have a Dada thing going on in your ability to cleverly destroy things...

See, this is exactly what I'm talking about: posts done consistently in bad faith, consistently distorting the facts in a disingenuous way. It smacks of someone, again, that just wants to be involved in personal battles and is especially resentful and contemptuous when they're shown to be wrong, or not doing a good job of explaining/supporting their ideas.

I guarantee you can't show me one example of: 1) "choose to engage in a semantics battle over a word you're clearly using incorrectly" (it was, you, remember, who started a semantics argument out of something I wasn't even interested in and said off-handedly) 2) [falsely] "accuse me of strawman arguments for asking direct questions, which you can't answer" or 3) ....the one who constantly belittles other people's intelligence, and self-describes as one of "the intelligent posters" (I've only belittled your intelligence, and rightly so).

Also, I was calm (ie, I think you're projecting). I can be perfectly calm when I insult you because it's a perfectly reasonable thing to do. You're an irritant who doesn't really have any actual opinions except for the ever-changing one that most annoys the people who are trying to discuss things intelligently on here, or especially those who have put you down and called you out for what you are in the past. (No coincidence, of course, that your disingenuous initial comment was aimed directly at the three people who have called you out most on here: LJ, CA-ORIOLE, and I.)

Start backing up your posts with evidence. Don't go making sweeping, hypocritical, and--frankly--bull**** claims w/o backing them up. Trust me, I could dig up about 20 posts right now backing up my claim that you're an "irritant", a gnat, and I can also similarly come up with a ton of your straw-mans (still don't know how to plural-ify this word :D) if I wanted to. I already provided one example of your prioritizing of rekindling petty arguments/trying to regain face/spitefully going after those who have called you out on your nonsense over substantive discussion, so why don't you back up one of your claims for once. Like I said, I could fill this thread w/ examples of your pestilential style/straw-man arguments, but I don't think the mods would like that.

He's talking about me, I think, and consistently tries to troll me into this argument. The other ones may be, too. But I have him on ignore (a really wise move, it turns out), so it's not going to happen. He reminds me of amateurfan, who was another blight on this board. No thanks.

Archived