Will Machado hit for power?

Fired-Up

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, I had no problem with the OP and think people jumped on Fired-Up instead of just answering his question.

I think most scouts pegged Machado as a 15-20, maybe 25 HR guy. I've never read anything to suggest he's expected to hit for more power than that. I'm not expecting more. If he is similar to Markakis offensively and is a solid defensive SS he certainly will have met my expectations.

He went 2-4, w a triple, and an infield single, and looked pretty smooth and confident at 3b. Also, he's faster than reported. We've heard 5 tools and people have dismissed that, and maybe it isn't right to say he has plus speed, but he's pretty damn fast. He isn't Avery, but he's probably the fast guy on the 25 man right now w the exception of McClouth.

Thank you for that info. I am happy the O's brought him up. Yesterday when I read he was coming up i thought he was not ready to be in Baltimore. I stand corrected.

Thank you for that info. I am happy the O's brought him up. Yesterday when I read he was coming up i thought he was not ready to be in Baltimore. I stand corrected.

Well, I wouldn't go anointing him ready to be in Baltimore, just yet, but he did look pretty good. Not overwhelmed. We'll see where he is in a month.

Honestly, I had no problem with the OP and think people jumped on Fired-Up instead of just answering his question.

I think most scouts pegged Machado as a 15-20, maybe 25 HR guy. I've never read anything to suggest he's expected to hit for more power than that. I'm not expecting more. If he is similar to Markakis offensively and is a solid defensive SS he certainly will have met my expectations.

I agree with you but what if he stays at 3B (and is solid defensively)? Is being similar to Markakis offensively acceptable for how highly rated he was coming into the league? I think Markakis would be selling him short. I love Markakis (even the non-2008 version of him) but for someone so highly rated I would think an OPS+ of 117 would be disappointing... I think we need him to be better than Markakis, if that is what he becomes I will probably be disappointed.

As for the OP, making any conclusions on Manny's power at this point is pointless.

I think he is going to hit for power, but I don't think he is going to hit 40 bombs each year either.

This is a 20 year old kid facing major league pitching for the first time, while playing a new position, and we are judging his bat speed off of that one game?

I really liked what I saw from Machado. Especially on that triple. That was a breaking ball that got him out in front and he jsut got the bat head to the ball and drove it deep to right-center field. If he can keep doing that, and build his frame up (which I think he will), I think he can be a 15-25 HR guy. If he can be that, while playing good defense and having a good OBP, he is a GREAT piece for us. I don't think he will ever be a cleanup hitter that hits 40 bombs. We don't need him to be that.

I agree with you but what if he stays at 3B (and is solid defensively)? Is being similar to Markakis offensively acceptable for how highly rated he was coming into the league? I think Markakis would be selling him short. I love Markakis (even the non-2008 version of him) but for someone so highly rated I would think an OPS+ of 117 would be disappointing... I think we need him to be better than Markakis, if that is what he becomes I will probably be disappointed.

As for the OP, making any conclusions on Manny's power at this point is pointless.

Put it this way: Nick Markakis is 28 years old and has amassed 21.2 rWAR in his career. There have been 48 players chosen no. 3 overall in the draft. Of those, only six players (12.5% of those drafted at no. 3) accumulated more than 21.2 rWAR in their careers. So if Machado is as valuable as Markakis has been, he will have beaten the odds by a wide margin. And remember, the comparison I made was on offense. A SS or 3B who played good defense and had Nick's offensive numbers would be significantly more valuable than Nick.

As to whether Machado can be a better offensive player than Nick, we will just have to wait and see. Machado was 19 at the beginning of this season; Markakis was 19 on the day he was drafted. While Machado was posting a .768 OPS at Aberdeen in his age 19 season, Machado was posting a .781 at Bowie. Certainly Machado is far ahead of Nick's timetable, but whether that translates to better offensive numbers down the road is uncertain.

Why is it such a horrible question? Will Machado be a power hitter? It doesn't look like he will. He's not that big. His bat speed doesn't seem that great. He didn't hit many homers in the minors.

I like how you are making these assumptions based on his first game because he didn't hit a home run. Bryce Harper only hit 4 hrs in the minors this year guess he will never be a power hitter.

Archived