Joe Saunders update

wildcard

My gut tells me Saunders will be an Oriole by the end of next week.

Unless it's in the next couple of days for three years, not likely.

I'm just telling you what I feel is going to happen. Personally, I'd only do it if we had a signed, sealed and ready-to-go trade of a starting pitcher or two for a good hitter. But I think Duquette and Buck like the stability Saunders brings and will sign him up and worry about trades later.

I agree.

We have options.

And here's a few....

and then you have Matusz and Britton both trying to fight for a spot. That is 7 real options, plus Arrieta and Bundy on the outside shots. I know you can never have enough pitching, but if the rotation performed any where close to those numbers above(which I know is not entirely realistic with the SSS) then Saunders isnt cracking that rotation and the combined salary would be less than just his. I think if we are going to get another pitcher, then we need someone better than Saunders. I like the guy and he did a good job, but if we arent trading any starters I dont see the point in signing him.

Matusz figured out his mechanics when he was moved to the BP and should be given the chance to compete for the 5th spot along with Britton who I think a lot of people are writing off. I don't know why. His stuff at the end of last year looked nasty as ever for four straight games before he had a couple bad games. It just happened to come at the wrong time of the season. We would have known something about his shoulder before the end of last year or this offseason if he was still having problems with it. I still think Arrieta has good stuff, but obviously he needs to screw his head on to make it all come together. Hopefully he comes with something to prove. And I like Steve Johnson but wonder like everyone, I suppose, if the rest of the league will figure him out sooner or later. The kid knows how to pitch though and has shown no signs of being overwhelmed by the competition.

Then there's Wada who we don't really no what we have but is ahead of schedule.

I don't think Bundy is that close, maybe we see him at the end of the year. And Gausman, who by all accounts is more polished than Bundy.

Matusz and Britton both have better stuff than Saunders. It's just a matter of whether or not we're willing to hitch our wagon to either of them in the hopes that at least one of them steps up.

I like Saunders, but not even for two years. One year with an option. Ok.

Like I said, if we go to ST with the the candidates we currently have I'm not worried. We have other areas of concern.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think he'll resign here. I can't think of 1 free agent that signed with the Orioles in the last 10 years who was drawing interest from other teams. The only players the Orioles sign anymore are players such as Vlad' date=' Garrett Atkins, etc who have no other options. Saunders has other teams interested.[/quote']

Are you for real?

Unless it's in the next couple of days for three years, not likely.

I agree.

And here's a few....

Matusz figured out his mechanics when he was moved to the BP and should be given the chance to compete for the 5th spot along with Britton who I think a lot of people are writing off. I don't know why. His stuff at the end of last year looked nasty as ever for four straight games before he had a couple bad games. It just happened to come at the wrong time of the season. We would have known something about his shoulder before the end of last year or this offseason if he was still having problems with it. I still think Arrieta has good stuff, but obviously he needs to screw his head on to make it all come together. Hopefully he comes with something to prove. And I like Steve Johnson but wonder like everyone, I suppose, if the rest of the league will figure him out sooner or later. The kid knows how to pitch though and has shown no signs of being overwhelmed by the competition.

Then there's Wada who we don't really no what we have but is ahead of schedule.

I don't think Bundy is that close, maybe we see him at the end of the year. And Gausman, who by all accounts is more polished than Bundy.

Matusz and Britton both have better stuff than Saunders. It's just a matter of whether or not we're willing to hitch our wagon to either of them in the hopes that at least one of them steps up.

I like Saunders, but not even for two years. One year with an option. Ok.

Like I said, if we go to ST with the the candidates we currently have I'm not worried. We have other areas of concern.

While I don't trust that Britton will succeed consistently, I agree with this rationale on Saunders. If the O's are in contention in July and August, then they can add a guy like Saunders like they did in 2012. There's too much SP inventory to warrant an extra 2-3 years and $7-14 million on Saunders.

It is comical IMO that the baseball world is being held hostage by Joe Saunders' annual quest for a three year deal. I really don't get this from Saunders. The guy was on the scrap heap in August and .... now thinks he deserves three years?

I am not a big Saunders fan and hope he signs elsewhere or holds out so long our FO goes in another direction. If the guy grew up likely the Os and had success with us last year, it is somewhat unbelievable that he has made such an effort to get a deal somewhere else.

Your definition of the scrap heap is a lot different from mine.

I want Saunders back. For one year. I doubt I'd give him 2 guaranteed though, but I don't think it's an unreasonable contract.

It is comical IMO that the baseball world is being held hostage by Joe Saunders' annual quest for a three year deal. I really don't get this from Saunders. The guy was on the scrap heap in August and .... now thinks he deserves three years?

I am not a big Saunders fan and hope he signs elsewhere or holds out so long our FO goes in another direction. If the guy grew up likely the Os and had success with us last year, it is somewhat unbelievable that he has made such an effort to get a deal somewhere else.

"The baseball word is being held hostage by Joe Saunders?" Yeah, I guess you are not a big fan of his.

You can't blame a guy for trying. Guthrie got three years, and Saunders is pretty equivalent and younger.

It's a market of supply and demand and the demand for starting pitchers at higher salary's 7M and up, is getting thinner and thinner. Sounds like Seattle is in the mix. The Mets are most likely looking for a bargain and so are the Orioles. Who's left? Saunders and Lohse? Anyone else? Lohse does not look like a realistic option for either of the bargain hunters.

Who is left?

FAs - Saunders, Marcum, Chris Young, Pavano

Trades - Capuano (6M with an option) , Harang (7m with and option), Porcello (Arbitration eligible, made 3.1M last, projected to make 5M)

I like Saunders. Capuano would not be a bad addition.

I agree with you that Seattle sounds like the biggest competition for Saunders at this point.

The Orioles remain interested in re-signing left-hander Joe Saunders but appear unwilling to offer the veteran pitcher the multi-year deal he’s reportedly seeking.

Saunders supposedly wanted a four-year deal last month, and he’s still seeking three years. And despite the boost that Saunders provided down the stretch and in the postseason after the Orioles acquired him in a trade with Arizona in August, the O’s aren’t willing to go in that direction to retain the veteran left-hander.

Saunders very well could receive three years – the Mariners, Padres, Twins and Mets have also shown interest in him – but it’s becoming very obvious that he won’t be getting that from the Orioles. They will continue to monitor the market on Saunders but are prepared to walk away if his demands for a three-year deal remain.

Ed Encina Sun

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-thoughts-and-observations-saunders-vazquez-and-berkman-20130104,0,7281906.story?track=rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

The Orioles remain interested in re-signing left-hander Joe Saunders but appear unwilling to offer the veteran pitcher the multi-year deal he?s reportedly seeking.

Saunders supposedly wanted a four-year deal last month, and he?s still seeking three years. And despite the boost that Saunders provided down the stretch and in the postseason after the Orioles acquired him in a trade with Arizona in August, the O?s aren?t willing to go in that direction to retain the veteran left-hander.

Saunders very well could receive three years ? the Mariners, Padres, Twins and Mets have also shown interest in him ? but it?s becoming very obvious that he won?t be getting that from the Orioles. They will continue to monitor the market on Saunders but are prepared to walk away if his demands for a three-year deal remain.

Ed Encina Sun

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-thoughts-and-observations-saunders-vazquez-and-berkman-20130104,0,7281906.story?track=rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Not saying i'd give Saunders 3 years, but i'd go two. The only obvious thing about this offseason, is the O's willingness to walk away if the price isn't right.

Who is left?

FAs - Saunders, Marcum, Chris Young, Pavano

Trades - Capuano (6M with an option) , Harang (7m with and option), Porcello (Arbitration eligible, made 3.1M last, projected to make 5M)

I like Saunders. Capuano would not be a bad addition.

I agree with you that Seattle sounds like the biggest competition for Saunders at this point.

What about Harang? 3.6 era last 2 years 29.5 starts average 175 ish innings. Seems like a good back end guy.

What about Harang? 3.6 era last 2 years 29.5 starts average 175 ish innings. Seems like a good back end guy.

My concern about Harang is that he pitched in big home parks for the last two years for the Padres and Dodgers. His WHIP was not good away from home in either year. I am afraid on how he would do in Camden. He will be 35 in May.

My concern about Harang is that he pitched in big home parks for the last two years for the Padres and Dodgers. His WHIP was not good away from home in either year. I am afraid on how he would do in Camden. He will be 35 in May.

Yeah, but he also had some real good years playing in cincy. And isn't that park a hitters paradise?

Archived