Joe Saunders update

wildcard

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Saunders is a better pitcher than Blanton.

2012 STATS:

JOE BLANTON:

I         Split  W  L W-L%  ERA  G GS GF CG SHO SV    IP   H   R  ER HR BB IBB  SO HBP WP  WHIP SO/9 SO/BB   2012 Totals 10 13 .435 4.71 31 30  1  2   1  0 191.0 207 106 100 29 34   5 166   3  5 1.262  7.8  4.88

JOE SAUNDERS:

I         Split W  L W-L%  ERA  G GS GF CG SHO SV    IP   H  R ER HR BB IBB  SO HBP BK WP  BF  WHIP SO/9 SO/BB   2012 Totals 9 13 .409 4.07 28 28  0  1   1  0 174.2 195 88 79 21 39   2 112   2  0  3 745 1.340  5.8  2.87

What because he pitched a few good games for us?...:slytf: he may be better than Blanton, but Blanton is the one thats already signed while Saunders is still looking for work at this point...yes he may be holding out for what he wants but he is obvisouly not getting what he wants so his value should drop.

I'd be really surprised if he doesn't at least get the deal Blanton got since I consider him the superior pitcher.
Saunders is a better pitcher than Blanton.
And Left Handed.
It's all about supply and demand, not who is the better pitchg at this point. Saunders is not in demand. I wouldn't be surprised to see one year or one year and an option. I'm sure he's still holding out for better.

I think this is right. There is no disputing he's better than Blanton, but that's really not what it's about. Besides I think the Angels made one of their many mistakes of the last couple of years by giving him more than one year. Blanton sets the bar fairly low, so saying Saunders is better doesn't make me want necessarily bang down his door to get a deal done. We have options.

I think this is right. There is no disputing he's better than Blanton, but that's really not what it's about. Besides I think the Angels made one of their many mistakes of the last couple of years by giving him more than one year. Blanton sets the bar fairly low, so saying Saunders is better doesn't make me want necessarily bang down his door to get a deal done. We have options.

All good points.

What because he pitched a few good games for us?...:slytf:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Because posting Saunders' superior statistics hardly makes an argument for Blanton being better.

3 year samples are fun. Blanton has pitched to a 4.79 ERA (-0.3 rWAR) in that timeframe to Saunders' 4.07 ERA (2.4 rWAR).

Giving Saunders 2/16 is what the market dictates, I believe. It seems to be a fraction more than he's worth, but I'd definitely give it to him.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Because posting Saunders' superior statistics hardly makes an argument for Blanton being better.

3 year samples are fun. Blanton has pitched to a 4.79 ERA (-0.3 rWAR) in that timeframe to Saunders' 4.07 ERA (2.4 rWAR).

Giving Saunders 2/16 is what the market dictates, I believe. It seems to be a fraction more than he's worth, but I'd definitely give it to him.

No my point was he would get a deal based on his performance last year.... So he was going to get the same type of deal as Blanton... He would have gotten more if he signed earlier but his value is decreasing.

If you read my post I said Saunders was better but teams are not looking at his last 3 years... they are looking at 2012 :bangwall:

Bill Center, reporter for UT San Diego says that there are four teams in on Saunders- O's, Twins, Padres and Mets.

Padres are looking at Marcum, Saunders and Porcello per Centers. Tigers are less certain that they want to trade Porcello.

http://www.utsandiego.com/padres-chat/#

Twins- Star Tribune reporter La Velle E. Neal III says that the Twins will not offer Saunders a two year contract. Twins are also looking at Marcum and Brett Myers

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/blogs/184829411.html

NY Post reporter Ken Davidoff says that the Mets are interested in Pavano, Chris Young and Marcum. They are also discussing trading for Capuano or Harang. No mention of Saunders.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/mets/some_idle_chatter_wvAvPAcfBX3UqDR97PGDWM

Bottom line: The O's and three non contenders have some interest in Saunders. No reports that anyone will offer more than one year but that is not conclusive.

New update:

The Padres may have dropped out of pursuing Saunders. They sound like they are going with internal options.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130102&content_id=40834064&vkey=news_sd&c_id=sd

Mariners are still looking for a experienced starter which makes Saunders in play for them.

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121218&content_id=40721794&vkey=news_sea&c_id=sea

The Mets are still looking for starters. Alderson says he is looking for someone with upside which is not a good description of Saunders who is a back of the rotation starter. Chris Young is mentioned in this article.

http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130102&content_id=40829384&vkey=news_nym&c_id=nym

This article is not much help in determining whether the Twins will pursue Saunders but it is thought that they will not go for a two year contract. Not mentioned in this article the Twins did sign Rich Harden and Mike Pelfrey in Dec.

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121218&content_id=40743874&vkey=news_min&c_id=min

Bottom line: Padres may be out on Saunders. Mets, Mariners and Twins still have rotation needs to fill. Pool of starters got smaller when Indians signed Brett Myers 1/7 with a club option.

I think he will resign here...I say that I really don't understand the delay. His market price is basically set.

I think the O's are offering a one year contract with a club option and Saunders wants two years. Until Saunders and his agent come to the conclusion they can't find a two year contract (or finds one and signs elsewhere), he will probably wait out the O's. When you see an article that the O's are pursuing other starters in FA or trade with the pitcher(s) named in the article, you will know that DD in pushing Saunders for a decision. That is what DD did with McLouth.

I think the O's are offering a one year contract with a club option and Saunders wants two years. Until Saunders and his agent come to the conclusion they can't find a two year contract (or finds one and signs elsewhere), he will probably wait out the O's. When you see an article that the O's are pursuing other starters in FA or trade with the pitcher(s) named in the article, you will know that DD in pushing Saunders for a decision. That is what DD did with McLouth.

If two years gets it done then I'm waiting for the O's to just go for it. None of our current guys have much of a track record of consistently going 170+ innings and having at least one guy like that for the next two years couldn't hurt.

If two years gets it done then I'm waiting for the O's to just go for it. None of our current guys have much of a track record of consistently going 170+ innings and having at least one guy like that for the next two years couldn't hurt.

DD will have to think that another team is bidding two years for Saunders before he will. Right now I don't know who that team would be.

I think he will resign here...I say that I really don't understand the delay. His market price is basically set.

I don't think he'll resign here. I can't think of 1 free agent that signed with the Orioles in the last 10 years who was drawing interest from other teams. The only players the Orioles sign anymore are players such as Vlad, Garrett Atkins, etc who have no other options. Saunders has other teams interested.

I don't think he'll resign here. I can't think of 1 free agent that signed with the Orioles in the last 10 years who was drawing interest from other teams. The only players the Orioles sign anymore are players such as Vlad' date=' Garrett Atkins, etc who have no other options. Saunders has other teams interested.[/quote']

..and we hadn't won 93 games in any of those last 10 years. He grew up an Orioles fan in NOVA. I can see him taking a competitive offer to stay here.

I don't think he'll resign here. I can't think of 1 free agent that signed with the Orioles in the last 10 years who was drawing interest from other teams. The only players the Orioles sign anymore are players such as Vlad' date=' Garrett Atkins, etc who have no other options. Saunders has other teams interested.[/quote']
..and we hadn't won 93 games in any of those last 10 years. He grew up an Orioles fan in NOVA. I can see him taking a competitive offer to stay here.

Right. There is no reason for a free agent to shy away from the Orioles right now, especially one with local ties.

In any event, some guys we signed in the last 10 years: Tejada, J. Lopez, Palmeiro, Ponson, R. Hernandez, Huff, Walker, Bradford, Baez, Mike Gonzalez, Gregg. A lot of those deals did not turn out well, but it certainly isn't true that they weren't drawing interest from other teams when we signed them.

Archived