It's a New Year, let's turn the page here at the Hangout!

Tony-OH

Tony has some folks around the land who wish him ill. Most for poor reasons or jealousy. I am proud of being a member of this community and the shots over the bow from time to time don't even phase the way I feel about the Orioles Hangout. I am grateful that Tony puts up with all the crap to keep this place running and running strong.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did you make it home in time to see the finish?

Oh well. I am sure you have seen it a thousand time since.

Absolutely. I was home in bed with the Mrs watching the exciting conclusion. (knowing the whole time that I would never, ever, hear the end of this from our fearless leader!)

Good old Southerbird. He was always teetering on being batpoop crazy even when he worked for us. Good guy though, but yes, he did have an epic meltdown. :D

I think it's hilarious that a former employee is banned. I forget the details, but I think I might have done it. It was definitely deep-end stuff.

I love this sentiment and fully support it, but a small part of me can't help but think of the EPA guy in Ghostbusters when he shuts down the ecto-containment unit:

chapter11-picture-firehouseboom.jpg

:D

That's pretty funny. So far, of the people who have asked to come back, I'm only concerned a bit over one of them, but we'll see if he has a new beginning in him.

I'm not trying to kiss anyone's rear end, but some of you people need to take a step back and breath. Tony makes a great gesture to give amnesty to past banned posters, and somehow that gets twisted by some people who want to be critical? Its ridiculous. Its also THE number one reason why all of the Angelos bashing gets under my skin. I swear Angelos could have signed Greinke, Hamilton, and traded Brian Roberts for Albert Pujols, and some people would still find reason to complain. (not that I'm comparing Tony to Peter, I'm just saying there are certain people that just cannot ever be satisfied, and they are making themselves known.)

And I am sure that a lot of people who want us to sign every expensive free agent don't go to that many games and don't care what happens to ticket prices. People should be happy with the team last year. Ticket prices are reasonable. Angelos does sign the home grown products to long term deals. THe problem is that the management hasn't developed many in the last 20 years. I don't think it is because he is cheap that he won't sign players I think he wants to only pay big bucks to players who he knows so not to get burned Albert Belle style again.

And I am sure that a lot of people who want us to sign every expensive free agent don't go to that many games and don't care what happens to ticket prices. People should be happy with the team last year. Ticket prices are reasonable. Angelos does sign the home grown products to long term deals. THe problem is that the management hasn't developed many in the last 20 years. I don't think it is because he is cheap that he won't sign players I think he wants to only pay big bucks to players who he knows so not to get burned Albert Belle style again.

Winner......

So you want to offer support to the guy who questions my leadership of the site? Nice :rolleyes: Sorry you felt a need to jump in.

I don't think that was really called for, but so be it. I am glad I jumped in.

One of the reasons why I come to this site is because of the core members. I don't know RZNZ, don't really need to...but I enjoy reading his take and several other posters here. Any problem between the two of you is no matter to me, but he's a good long-time contributor and I wanted to note that. People like that don't come easy. They helped build what you have. That's pretty important.

I think your response to me does show a little heavy-handedness, but whatever. You're the publisher, you created this site, so I'm pretty sure you're sensitive to criticism, or even perceived criticism. If I was in the same position, I might be as well...in fact I'm certain I would be. So I understand it's a tough line.

I do think your new amnesty idea is a good one, especially for people that let their emotions get the best of them. I think it's a smart business decision as well. Hope it works out the way you envisioned.

I hate to jump in on the losing side of an argument, but isn't this kind of what RZNJ is talking about? The dude didn't badmouth you, but you give him a sarcastic response just because he showed someone else support? I love the site, have been lurking on it since 2004 or so (whatever it says under my name), and I have only had direct interaction with you once over the years when I made a joke (not at your expense), which resulted in being insulted about being one of those people with less than 500 posts, therefore implying I must be here to cause trouble.

Thanks.

I don't think that was really called for, but so be it. I am glad I jumped in.

One of the reasons why I come to this site is because of the core members. I don't know RZNZ, don't really need to...but I enjoy reading his take and several other posters here. Any problem between the two of you is no matter to me, but he's a good long-time contributor and I wanted to note that. People like that don't come easy. They helped build what you have. That's pretty important.

I think your response to me does show a little heavy-handedness, but whatever. You're the publisher, you created this site, so I'm pretty sure you're sensitive to criticism, or even perceived criticism. If I was in the same position, I might be as well...in fact I'm certain I would be. So I understand it's a tough line.

I do think your new amnesty idea is a good one, especially for people that let their emotions get the best of them. I think it's a smart business decision as well. Hope it works out the way you envisioned.

Thanks.

Timing is everything. I think RZNJ can be a good poster as well at times, and I appreciate his support over the years, but showing your support of him as a poster while he's criticizing my leadership is pretty bad timing if you ask me. It's not heavy-handed to point that out. Heavy-handed would have been banning you for saying that. I did not do that. Either way, I'm done with this. RZNJ, you or dorfmac want to criticize me or how I run things go right ahead, but you agreed to the Terms of Service when you signed up for an account and rule number 13 clearly states:

"13. Don't openly complain about the moderation or how this board is run. You can always contact us personally to voice concerns, but quite simply, if you don't like the way the board is run, you are free to go elsewhere."

This is how this community is run and how it will always be run. You can call it heavy-handed or whatever you like, but it's not going to change how it operates. Some choose to abide by the rules and others do not. There are good posters on lots of message boards, some use to post here. For every good poster that leaves another takes his/her place. It's the nature of the community. Some people want to focus on those that left, well, I prefer to focus on the outstanding members of our community that call this their internet home. They are part of the OH family and yes, I'm protective of the community as a whole as well as the good members that make it up. As in any large family or friends, there are some that don't get along. That's fine. I don't require that everyone has to love me or my style, but I do think a certain amount of respect should be shown both ways. When I'm putting out a nice gesture for new beginnings, I don't expect that to be a thread that turns into "Tony is heavy-handed and that's why a lot of good poster left." Although publicly is not the way to to do it, I respect RZNJ for criticizing me to my face. There are some cowards on this board that like to do it behind my back (not saying you have). Thankfully, I eventually know who they are. There's nothing I dislike more than a backstabbing coward who talks crap behind your back. Man up, e-mail me or PM me, but to do it behind my back is just plain cowardly. No one likes a coward.

Either way, I'm done with this and I learned a lesson. I'm never too old to learn lessons about people.

Timing is everything. I think RZNJ can be a good poster as well at times, and I appreciate his support over the years, but showing your support of him as a poster while he's criticizing my leadership is pretty bad timing if you ask me. It's not heavy-handed to point that out. Heavy-handed would have been banning you for saying that. I did not do that. Either way, I'm done with this. RZNJ, you or dorfmac want to criticize me or how I run things go right ahead, but you agreed to the Terms of Service when you signed up for an account and rule number 13 clearly states:

"13. Don't openly complain about the moderation or how this board is run. You can always contact us personally to voice concerns, but quite simply, if you don't like the way the board is run, you are free to go elsewhere."

This is how this community is run and how it will always be run. You can call it heavy-handed or whatever you like, but it's not going to change how it operates. Some choose to abide by the rules and others do not. There are good posters on lots of message boards, some use to post here. For every good poster that leaves another takes his/her place. It's the nature of the community. Some people want to focus on those that left, well, I prefer to focus on the outstanding members of our community that call this their internet home. They are part of the OH family and yes, I'm protective of the community as a whole as well as the good members that make it up. As in any large family or friends, there are some that don't get along. That's fine. I don't require that everyone has to love me or my style, but I do think a certain amount of respect should be shown both ways. When I'm putting out a nice gesture for new beginnings, I don't expect that to be a thread that turns into "Tony is heavy-handed and that's why a lot of good poster left." Although publicly is not the way to to do it, I respect RZNJ for criticizing me to my face. There are some cowards on this board that like to do it behind my back. thankfully, I eventually know who they are. There's nothing I dislike more than a backstabbing coward who talks crap behind your back. Man up, e-mail me or PM me, but to do it behind my back is just plain cowardly. No one likes a coward.

Either way, I'm done with this and I learned a lesson. I'm never too old to learn lessons about people.

Well, like it or not it doesn't get any more straight forward than that.

Yep, if you're going to complain about the moderation or the moderators, do it by PM. I don't see how that's a difficult concept.

Well that can you get you banned as well. But as this is supposed to be a forget the past thread perhaps another thread could be created for constructive feedback to the site managers?

Archived