O's consider Matsuzaka

Skywalker76

It depends on how desparate he is to start his career in 2007 compared to 2008. If the team that wins the posting plays hardball and doesn't offer any more than 8m a year guranteed, waiting could mean double the guaranteed money.

It could, it could also mean he gets hurt or has a bad year and gets less. In the end, I guess it depends on the individuals risk tolerance and greed factor, which are fairly unknown for this guy.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matsuzaka will not be a Japanese FA eligible to sign in America until after the 2008 season, not after this upcoming year. He told his japanese team if they did not agree to post him this year, he would not request it next season and they would lose him without getting the huge posting bonus. I imagine if he is posted, and then is not signed but went back to Japan, he would try again in a year to come to MLB and be posted again.

He won't be free to negotiate with multiple MLB teams until after 2008 though.

He won't be free to negotiate with multiple MLB teams until after 2008 though.

I just came across another article that implies it is after 2007 not 2008.

Matsuzaka hires Boras

If the team that wins the bid doesn't sign Matsuzaka, the posting fee is returned to the team. In that less likely scenario, Matsuzaka would return to Seibu and become a full-fledged free agent in a year.

I just came across another article that implies it is after 2007 not 2008.

Matsuzaka hires Boras

There is indeed a lot of contradictory info out there on this whole deal, and to be blunt, some writers simply don't have their facts straight about certain aspects of the situation.

I wouldn't bet the farm on it, but I think this guy's mistaken.

The most convincing blurb I read stated that Seibu holds Matsuzaka's rights through April of 2008, meaning he would be under their control for the 2008 season (if it came to that).

There is indeed a lot of contradictory info out there on this whole deal, and to be blunt, some writers simply don't have their facts straight about certain aspects of the situation.

I wouldn't bet the farm on it, but I think this guy's mistaken.

The most convincing blurb I read stated that Seibu holds Matsuzaka's rights through April of 2008, meaning he would be under their control for the 2008 season (if it came to that).

Sounds like they would have the rights to him for only Spring Training and the very start of the season in the states.

Sounds like they would have the rights to him for only Spring Training and the very start of the season in the states.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe that's the correct interpretation.

It's a moot point however. The guy's going to be here next year.

It's not surprising that Seattle won't bid on him. They already owe Sexson and Beltre tons of money and I've read that they will be players for Zito and Schmidt as well as maybe Soriano. Not sure where they're getting all this money.

When will we find out who won the bid for Matsuzaka?

You're arguing two different things here it seems. You're saying they won't bid on Matsuzaka because of money and then saying they have tons of it to spend. Most likely this means they will focus in on Schmidt who many have suggested will wind up in Seattle. I guess they have lots of money but like almost everyone else, they have limits. Looks like they had to make an either or choice.

No I'm not. I'm basically saying that the fact that they aren't going after Matsuzaka doesn't surprise me because I didn't think they were that rich a franchise, which is why I'm shocked I'm hearing all these rumors that have these high priced FAs going to Seattle given that they already have Sexson and Beltre on their payroll.

No I'm not. I'm basically saying that the fact that they aren't going after Matsuzaka doesn't surprise me because I didn't think they were that rich a franchise, which is why I'm shocked I'm hearing all these rumors that have these high priced FAs going to Seattle given that they already have Sexson and Beltre on their payroll.

They are one of the richer franchises in baseball, the owner(s) is just very, very cheap.

At the dinner with Flanagan, he actually referred to Seattle as the cheapest team in baseball, because they are making just an absolute killing off of their Japanese market (and another reason why the Yankees can easily afford a $200M+ payroll).

That's fine, but it's the first I've heard of it and I haven't seen it posted. If you knew it, that would have been a nice piece of information to share with the board.
We have confirmation in the Seattle newspapers.
The Mariners have decided the price for Japanese pitching sensation Daisuke Matsuzaka is too steep, confirming Wednesday they will not bid for the rights to sign him.
Source -Seattle P-I
There won't be many chances for the Mariners to exhale this winter. Not with all those holes to fill in a starting rotation destined to undergo a significant overhaul in the weeks and months ahead.

That's why general manager Bill Bavasi and his baseball operations crew will take advantage of any opportunity to stop holding their breath, no matter how fleeting the moment may be. And that exhaling sound in the vicinity of Edgar Martinez Drive on Wednesday was a collective sigh of relief that team owner Hiroshi Yamauchi has decided against bidding for Japanese starter Daisuke Matsuzaka of the Seibu Lions.

"The decision has been made," Bavasi said. "We will not be participating in the bidding process."

Source - Seattle Times

Archived