Where's EdRod?

Frobby

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For what 2B would you move EdRod?

I defer to this guy...

Martin Prado would be a nice choice or Daniel Murphey.

I think we over-rate Rodriguez. If he's our #3 prospect, our system is not good at all. He could be as low as #7 for me (Bundy, Harvey, Sisco, Walker, Alvarez, Davies). More likely that I'd have him at 4-5, but I'm not sure I should expect much more production from him then I would from Alvarez, Walker or Davies.

It could be the injury this year, but I've been reading various scout tweets since last year that Rodriguez is basically a solid lefty. His secondaries aren't great, with his third pitch being fringy. His fastball is pretty good, but not a game changer. The profile sounds like low-level starter or middle reliever to me. Now maybe with more time and refinement he becomes more than that. Lord knows a cost controlled league average starter is a good thing. On the other hand, if he would net this team a + 2B, you gotta consider it.

I defer to this guy...

I think we over-rate Rodriguez. If he's our #3 prospect, our system is not good at all. He could be as low as #7 for me (Bundy, Harvey, Sisco, Walker, Alvarez, Davies). More likely that I'd have him at 4-5, but I'm not sure I should expect much more production from him then I would from Alvarez, Walker or Davies.

It could be the injury this year, but I've been reading various scout tweets since last year that Rodriguez is basically a solid lefty. His secondaries aren't great, with his third pitch being fringy. His fastball is pretty good, but not a game changer. The profile sounds like low-level starter or middle reliever to me. Now maybe with more time and refinement he becomes more than that. Lord knows a cost controlled league average starter is a good thing. On the other hand, if he would net this team a + 2B, you gotta consider it.

I would put EROD at number 4 on the list. Davies is moving up the list as well so it will be interesting to see who has the better second half. Davies could slide past him but I want to let Erod show a healthy second half before making that move. Walker and Alverez are a bit lower because of age but if they go to AAA and put up solid numbers be at 6-7. Sisco has been very impressive at a very young age in A ball and as a catcher. His reports on defense have been decent and the athletiscm shows that he can improve on a few things like his footwork behind the plate.

I would put EROD at number 4 on the list. Davies is moving up the list as well so it will be interesting to see who has the better second half. Davies could slide past him but I want to let Erod show a healthy second half before making that move. Walker and Alverez are a bit lower because of age but if they go to AAA and put up solid numbers be at 6-7. Sisco has been very impressive at a very young age in A ball and as a catcher. His reports on defense have been decent and the athletiscm shows that he can improve on a few things like his footwork behind the plate.

My point was less about where he should specifically slot in our system and more about expected production on our ML team.

I could see Walker turning into a younger Steve Pearce. I could see Alvarez being a David Lough with a better hit tool (sort of, not exactly). Davies is liable to have the same ML career as Ed Rod.

I hope I'm wrong, and I do think he's a nice prospect, but I suspect some team will over-value the young lefty starter prospect and end up giving us a nice piece for him.

Don't overlook EdRod's age relative to his performance. I would agree that he's probably a 2016 guy, and a likely MOR SP, but that is quite valuable. Especially if he slots in behind 2 of Gausman, Bundy, and Harvey. That's a cheap solid core of SP. Which allows us to spend on bats. I'm not sure the upgrade to Murphy is worth that, especially considering his poor defense. Also, Prado hasn't been very good either.

I think we over-rate Rodriguez. If he's our #3 prospect, our system is not good at all.

Coming into this year, MLB.com had him 56th overall, Baseball Prospectus had him 61st overall, Baseball America had him 65th overall, and Keith Law at ESPN had him 43rd overall. All have him projected as a mid-rotation starter or better. I don't think OH over-rates him at all.

I defer to this guy...

He was in Keith Law's Top 50 prospects in baseball in February. So it's not just blind homerism that's causing people to think highly of him.

He was in Keith Law's Top 50 prospects in baseball in February. So it's not just blind homerism that's causing people to think highly of him.

I hope they're all right.

Personally, I fear that age + lefty-ism rates him a little higher than deserved. Age is a powerful predictor of value though, so maybe my anti-homerism is skewing my take.

I hope they're all right.

Personally, I fear that age + lefty-ism rates him a little higher than deserved. Age is a powerful predictor of value though, so maybe my anti-homerism is skewing my take.

I think age is a large contributing factor.

I am afraid the raw stuff isn't good enough for him to be a real difference maker in the majors.

Has there been a progression in the quality of his pitches over the last few years?

• 2 weeks later...

o

11 OUTS: 4 Strikeouts, 4 Groundouts, 2 Popouts, 1 Flyout

EDUARDO RODRIGUEZ O (vs. AA-Harrisburg, 7/09)

IP:. 3.67

H:o 6 (1 Double, 5 Singles)

R:O 2

BB: 2 *

SO: 4

Pitches: 94 (62 Strikes, 32 Balls) ** 90 (62 Strikes, 28 Balls)

2014 ERA: 4.81 (AA-Bowie)

* 1 of the Walks was Intentional

** Minus the Intentional Walk

PITCHES BY INNING

23 (18 Strikes, 51 Balls)

15 (10 Strikes, 51 Balls)

25 (16 Strikes, 91 Balls)

31 (18 Strikes, 13 Balls) *** 27 (18 Strikes, 9 Balls) ****

*** Minus the Intentional Walk

**** Rodriguez recorded 2 outs before departing in the 4th inning.

• 2 weeks later...

o

13 OUTS: 5 Flyouts, 4 Strikeouts, 3 Goundouts, 1 Popout

EDUARDO RODRIGUEZ O (vs. AA-Altoona, 7/17)

IP:. 4.33

H:o 7 (1 Home Run, 1 Triple, 5 Singles)

R:O 5

BB: 2

SO: 4

Pitches: 88 (60 Strikes, 28 Balls)

2014 ERA: 5.15 (AA-Bowie)

PITCHES BY INNING

20 (14 Strikes, 6 Balls)

12 (91 Strikes, 3 Balls)

20 (12 Strikes, 8 Balls)

16 (13 Strikes, 3 Balls)

20 (12 Strikes, 8 Balls) *

* Rodriguez recorded 1 out before departing in the 5th inning.

o

7 innings.

0 earned runs.

1 walks, 5 strikeouts.

Rodriguez pitched 6 shutout innings with no walks.

In the 7th inning, an error and a balk led to an unearned run.

In spite of 2 errors by the Baysox' defense, Rodriguez still only threw 86 pitches over 7 innings.

21 OUTS: 7 Groundouts, 5 Strikeouts, 5 Flyouts, 2 Popouts, 1 Lineout (Including 1 Double Play)

EDUARDO RODRIGUEZ O (vs. AA-Harrisburg, 7/22)

IP:. 7

H:o 3 (1 Double, 2 Singles)

R:O 1

ER:o0

BB: 1

SO: 5

Pitches: 86 (57 Strikes, 29 Balls)

2014 ERA: 4.69 (AA-Bowie)

PITCHES BY INNING

13 (10 Strikes, 3 Balls)

11 (61 Strikes, 5 Balls)

14 (91 Strikes, 5 Balls)

71 (41 Strikes, 3 Balls)

17 (11 Strikes, 6 Balls)

11 (81 Strikes, 3 Balls)

13 (91 Strikes, 4 Balls)

Ed Rod is ready for a breakout second half performance. It has been a rough year, but it seems he hasn't been truly healthy until recently. I am calling for an EdRod breakout out in July (3.43 ERA so far this month) and August. Our AAA rotation (Wilson, Bundy, EdRod, Davies, Berry?) will look pretty good next year - that is if Bundy is not on the ML roster.

Ed Rod is ready for a breakout second half performance. It has been a rough year, but it seems he hasn't been truly healthy until recently. I am calling for an EdRod breakout out in July (3.43 ERA so far this month) and August. Our AAA rotation (Wilson, Bundy, EdRod, Davies, Berry?) will look pretty good next year - that is if Bundy is not on the ML roster.

After seeing what has happened to Wright this year, I don't necessarily assume that the transition from AA to AAA will be easy.

o

All 5 runs were scored in the 2nd inning.

2 errors in said inning by Rodriguez' teammates didn't help.

In that 2nd inning, Rodriguez threw 39 pitches ...... and he might have thrown a lot more had the Baysox catcher not thrown out 2 Altoona base-runners attempting to steal.

12 OUTS: 3 Strikeouts, 2 Groundouts, 2 Flyouts, 2 Popouts, 2 Caught Stealing, 1 Lineout

EDUARDO RODRIGUEZ O (vs. AA-Altoona, 7/27)

IP:. 4

H:o 6 (1 Double, 5 Singles)

R:O 5

ER:)3

BB: 3

SO: 3

Pitches: 90 (51 Strikes, 39 Balls)

2014 ERA: 4.79 (AA-Bowie)

PITCHES BY INNING

16 (91 Strikes, 71 Balls)

39 (22 Strikes, 17 Balls)

16 (91 Strikes, 71 Balls)