Where's EdRod?

Frobby

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's great to see EdRod finishing strong. I'm not sure if that was his season finale, or whether he'll pitch in the team's final game this Saturday. In either event, that's three consecutive strong outings for Rodriguez. I don't think you can argue too much about what he accomplished this year at the age of 20.

It will be interesting to see whether the O's start him off at Bowie or Norfolk next year. My guess would be Bowie, but perhaps only for 8 starts or so.

It's great to see EdRod finishing strong. I'm not sure if that was his season finale, or whether he'll pitch in the team's final game this Saturday. In either event, that's three consecutive strong outings for Rodriguez. I don't think you can argue too much about what he accomplished this year at the age of 20.

It will be interesting to see whether the O's start him off at Bowie or Norfolk next year. My guess would be Bowie, but perhaps only for 8 starts or so.

Great points, Frobby. It's easy to forget that he is 20 yrs. old pitching at Bowie. That's quite a testament to him and what the organization thinks of him. After a rough start, he has really come on.

I think he'll probably start off at Bowie in 2014. But, I could easily see Eddy, as well as, Mike Wright, starting at some point for the O's, next season.

I would hope he's in Bowie for at least half the season. I'd like to see him dominate there before moving to Norfolk.

I wouldn't expect him in BAL until May 2015 at the earliest.

"He was sensational," Bowie manager Gary Kendall said. "I usually stick to words like average or above average but the last three starts he has been lights out. It's encouraging that he is in our dugout because down the road, he is going to be a big plus for this organization."

Over his last three starts, Rodriguez has gone 19 innings, giving up just 11 hits and one run with two walks and 20 strikeouts. Not bad for the 20-year-old lefty.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2013/08/a-look-at-the-os-recent-success-at-fenway-park.html

I would hope he's in Bowie for at least half the season. I'd like to see him dominate there before moving to Norfolk.

I wouldn't expect him in BAL until May 2015 at the earliest.

I'd say EdRod has had a number of dominant games at Bowie, he just hasn't dominated every time out. He's already had about as many starts at Bowie as Arrieta (11 starts), Matusz (8 starts) or Britton (14 starts). Obviously, none of those guys have become dependable major league starters, so I am definitely not advocating rushing EdRod. But I don't know that he needs half a season at Bowie next year; it depends how he pitches.

I'd say EdRod has had a number of dominant games at Bowie, he just hasn't dominated every time out. He's already had about as many starts at Bowie as Arrieta (11 starts), Matusz (8 starts) or Britton (14 starts). Obviously, none of those guys have become dependable major league starters, so I am definitely not advocating rushing EdRod. But I don't know that he needs half a season at Bowie next year; it depends how he pitches.

He's had 3 straight fantastic starts, and that's a great way to finish the season. But, he piched poorly for most of his time at Bowie. I don't think there will even be consideration for Norfolk to start next season. I'd like to see him get the equivalent of a full season at AA before he goes to Norfolk.

The last thing he should be is rushed. They need to start mimicking Tampa's system.

The last thing he should be is rushed. They need to start mimicking Tampa's system.

In years past, we rushed pitchers because of need. While our starting staff still leaves a lot to be desired, we at least have better depth. I think Rodriguez and Wright will both need to be knocking down the door next season to get the call.

In years past, we rushed pitchers because of need. While our starting staff still leaves a lot to be desired, we at least have better depth. I think Rodriguez and Wright will both need to be knocking down the door next season to get the call.

I didn't like the way we jumped the gun on Gausman this year. Rodriguez already has more starts and innings at AA than Gausman had before his call-up. Hopefully the O's will be much more patient with EdRod.

I didn't like the way we jumped the gun on Gausman this year. Rodriguez already has more starts and innings at AA than Gausman had before his call-up. Hopefully the O's will be much more patient with EdRod.

Gausman's promotion was by necessity. Hopefully they won't need to rush anyone next season.

Gausman's promotion was by necessity. Hopefully they won't need to rush anyone next season.

And the way to make this happen is to sign a capable veteran starter to round out next season's rotation. If Britton and Gausman can start next season in Norfolk's rotation along with a couple of Garcia/Jurrjens types, then there will be plenty of depth to allow Gausman, Wright and EdRod to develop at their own pace.

And the way to make this happen is to sign a capable veteran starter to round out next season's rotation. If Britton and Gausman can start next season in Norfolk's rotation along with a couple of Garcia/Jurrjens types, then there will be plenty of depth to allow Gausman, Wright and EdRod to develop at their own pace.

Britton is out of options. He could be the long man though, if he doesn't win a SP spot.

As noted below, Britton is out of options so he is on the major league team next year or traded.

But regarding Gausman, the Orioles used Tillman, Chen, Gonzo, Arrieta, Britton, Stinson, Garcia, Jurrjens, and Johnson before they ended up using Gausman. Granted the depth this year wasn't fantastic, we did have it and we burned through it very fast.

I really like the idea of Gausman getting another 10+ starts down in AAA, unless he shows up in the spring with an greatly improved breaking ball. I think we're going to see Wright spend a whole year in AAA and Ed Rod splitting time between the two. It'll be interesting to see if that helps the problem of not being able to develop pitching.

Archived