Why I like Nick Markakis - BB

BoltonBob

Sometimes there is no tidy explanation for what happens in baseball.

I think most changes in performance are related to two things:

1) Pitchers adjusting to you.

2) Injuries that don't put you on the DL but have outsized effects because you have to change your approach to compensate and never get extended rest to fully heal it.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't say I wasn't doing that, I was making a point that it needs to be included in the list of potential explanations and no higher or lower on the list than anything else.

I'd be willing to bet money, he doesn't hit more than 15 HRs in any one season the rest of his career. Or reach 40 doubles.

That's fine, so long as you're acknowledging that involves saying a guy could well be a liar and a cheat with nothing more than flimsy circumstantial evidence.

That's fine, so long as you're acknowledging that involves saying a guy could well be a liar and a cheat with nothing more than flimsy circumstantial evidence.

I have no problem doing that whatsoever. I stand by everything I say.

But as has been established in this thread, a PED user may very well have just "made a mistake" and thus not necessarily be a liar and a cheat. :rolleyes:

So...Nick Markakis.

Has there been any indication that he has some sort of lingering health issue that's sapped him of his ability? Paying a barely-above replacement level player $15M might be crippling to the O's going forward if he can't bounce back.

I didn't say I wasn't doing that, I was making a point that it needs to be included in the list of potential explanations and no higher or lower on the list than anything else.

I'd be willing to bet money, he doesn't hit more than 15 HRs in any one season the rest of his career. Or reach 40 doubles. And OPS in the .700 will be the norm.

I'll take that bet. What's the wager?

So...Nick Markakis.

Has there been any indication that he has some sort of lingering health issue that's sapped him of his ability? Paying a barely-above replacement level player $15M might be crippling to the O's going forward if he can't bounce back.

I find it hard to believe he's barely above replacement level at this point.

0.8 fWAR (same as Ryan Flaherty)

1.0 rWAR

Maybe 'barely' is a bit harsh. But whatever he is, it's not good considering his contract.

He's a below average MLB player. Like I've been saying for a while now. Being barely above replacement level isn't saying much for an MLB player because you are comparing yourself to AAA players.

As far as Roberts and steroids. I do think his injury problems the past 4 years are possibly steroid related. But I have no proof of it, either. Some guys like Bonds seem to thrive on them.

As I love to say, steroids are the cause of and cure for all problems in baseball. They both cause you to be super-strong, recover from workouts, and stop aging well into your 40s, while also causing you to break down and be useless at 33.

Archived