Adam Jones- Where are the homeruns?

atom_25

2 more round-trippers last night gives Jones 22 for the season, with 58 games left to play.

His total gone up every year since we acquired him, save for between 2009 and 2010, when he broke even (19 each season.)

2008: 19

2009: 19

2010: 19

2011: 25

2012: 32

2013: 22 *

* 104 games into the season.

And this is why it was a ridiculously premature thread back on May 10.....just 6 weeks into the season.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

2 more round-trippers last night gives Jones 22 for the season, with 58 games left to play.

His total gone up every year since we acquired him, save for between 2009 and 2010, when he broke even (19 each season.)

# 26 tonight for Adam.

36 games left to play.

He needs 6 more round-trippers to tie last year's total, 7 to surpass it.

# 26 tonight for Adam.

36 games left to play.

He needs 6 more round-trippers to tie last year's total, 7 to surpass it.

While I know that many scoff at RBI as a stat, it's worth noting that Jones is now at 91, already a career high. He's having his best overall season and yet it seems more than half the posts about him are about his shortcomings.

While I know that many scoff at RBI as a stat, it's worth noting that Jones is now at 91, already a career high. He's having his best overall season and yet it seems more than half the posts about him are about his shortcomings.

He is having a really good season. While he has limitations as a hitter - his numbers have been on a steady rise.

...yet it seems more than half the posts about him are about his shortcomings.

His shortcomings tend to be magnified when the team's struggling, something it's been doing lately. Throw in the fact that he's the so-called leader of the team, and exceptionally vocal, and it just makes it that much more infuriating. You just want the guy, to once, alter his approach ever so slightly so he doesn't swing at a ball in the dirt when a guy's on third and we need the runs.

It helps that he has about 40 more PAs than anyone else on the team with runners on base. 50 more than Davis, almost 60 more than JJ, and 80 more than Wieters.

Actually, the much-maligned Wieters has driven in 53 runs in 194 PAs with runners on, Jones 75 in 273. Which is almost exactly the same percentage.

This thread should be changed to "Markakis. Where are the homeruns, RBI's, and batting average?"

Right next to the thread "Jim Johnson, why all the blown saves?"

^

Those are the reasons the O's will miss the playoffs.

I will be checking out of the season very soon. Have a good rest of the year.

It helps that he has about 40 more PAs than anyone else on the team with runners on base. 50 more than Davis, almost 60 more than JJ, and 80 more than Wieters.

Actually, the much-maligned Wieters has driven in 53 runs in 194 PAs with runners on, Jones 75 in 273. Which is almost exactly the same percentage.

Yeah, this is the main knock on RBI, it is a stat that partially derives from circumstances beyond the player's control. That has always been a fair point. I still find it has some value. Jones had 372 runners on base last year, and knocked in 82 runs (32 of which were himself, on his 32 homers). He's had 365 runners on base already this year, and has knocked in 89 runs (26 of which are himself on homers). So, he's getting more opportunities per game, but he's also cashing in a significantly higher percentage.

• 2 weeks later...

# 28 today, and it was a big one.

Way to go, Adam.

With 27 games left to play, 4 more will tie last year's total, and 5 more will continue the upward trend that he's had since he came here in 2008 (with one even year between 2009 and 2010.)

I know he gets more than enough slack for some of his play in centerfield and some rightfully so, but I can't be the only person on here who is thinking this. Where is the power? I applaud him for his approach at the plate for the most part this season, but at the same time I don't feel like I am out of line when I question where his power stroke is. Any thoughts?

Yes, please start more threads like this next season for Nick Markakis. Maybe we can expect him to hit the weight room with Brady or talk to A-Roids training staff instead hanging out in a deer stand over the winter. Heck, if he gets caught we only lose him for 50 games right?

Relax. I'm only half kidding.

Yeah, this is the main knock on RBI, it is a stat that partially derives from circumstances beyond the player's control. That has always been a fair point. I still find it has some value. Jones had 372 runners on base last year, and knocked in 82 runs (32 of which were himself, on his 32 homers). He's had 365 runners on base already this year, and has knocked in 89 runs (26 of which are himself on homers). So, he's getting more opportunities per game, but he's also cashing in a significantly higher percentage.

That is part of what makes Jones so fascinating. He palpably takes the weight of the world on his shoulders whenever he comes up in an RBI situation, and he personally signs every slider in the dirt a pitcher throws to him in those situations. Yet, he still comes up big at a respectable rate as those stats attest.

That simultaneously makes him awesome and frustrating.

Archived