Adam Jones- Where are the homeruns?

atom_25

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most people refer to 1954 as the birth of the Baltimore Orioles franchise. You're being a little dense here OFF.

No, I'm not being a little dense.

The team has been the Baltimore Orioles since 1954, and the franchise dates back to 1901.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/

Just because you don't want to believe something, doesn't make it not true.

No, I'm not being a little dense.

The team has been the Baltimore Orioles since 1954, and the franchise dates back to 1901.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/

Just because you don't want to believe something, doesn't make it not true.

A) Its not a matter of "believing" something. I know when and where our franchise came from.

2) what I said was MOST people refer to our franchise as being born in 1954.

Go on with your bad self!

A) Its not a matter of "believing" something. I know when and where our franchise came from.

2) what I said was MOST people refer to our franchise as being born in 1954.

Go on with your bad self!

He said "franchise history," and I pointed out the franchise history.

I'm not going to keep arguing about it, but I will leave it with an article and a couple of this pictures from a 2003 game between the Orioles and the Cardinals.

This was the game:

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2003-06-08/sports/0306080044_1_ponson-orioles-garrett-stephenson

And this are the pictures:

Oo

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_kl-4VYh7R3Y/SP0vKlaAvyI/AAAAAAAAA4k/kc1bI1X1yic/s1600-h/04MORAUD.JPG

Oo

Browns2.png

You said franchise history.

The franchise history dates back to 1901, when the team was the Milwaukee Brewers.

For as long as I can remember the Orioles themselves have never counted anything pre-1954 as part of the Orioles legacy. And anyone who lists George Sisler or Harlond Clift or Kenny Williams as leading the Orioles in anything gets weird looks.

I think Sidney Ponson in a Browns' jersey is about all you need to know on the subject. Let's forget that ever happened and move on...

Sorry, but I don't like to airbrush history and forget that things happened, any more than you like to airbrush and/or put asterisks next to players that have hit their home runs in the steroid era.

Now, to get this back on track ...........

This was my post from 2 pages ago in regard to Adam Jones' home runs:

O

2 more round-trippers last night gives Jones 22 for the season, with 58 games left to play.

His total gone up every year since we acquired him, save for between 2009 and 2010, when he broke even (19 each season.)

2008: 19

2009: 19

2010: 19

2011: 25

2012: 32

2013: 32 *

* 152 games into the season.

# 32 last night.

10 games left to play. In the 151st game of the season last night, Jones tied last year's total, and equaled his career-high. He needs one more round-tripper to surpass last year's total, and continue the upward trend since he came here in 2008.

And as much as I put emphasis on the fact that winning games (and/or making the playoffs) is a hundred times more important than individual statistics, I confess that IT DOES matter to me that Jones hit at least one more home run in the final 10 games of the season, which would continue his upward trend (with one even season between 2009 and 2010) since he arrived here in 2008.

2008: 19

2009: 19

2010: 19

2011: 25

2012: 32

2013: 33 *

* 160 games into the season.

Jones has done it again.

A new career high, and the pattern continues (Jones going up in home runs every year since he got here.)

The lone exception was staying even (19 to 19) in 2009 and 2010.

Jones has done it again.

A new career high, and the pattern continues (Jones going up in home runs every year since he got here.)

The lone exception was staying even (19 to 19) in 2009 and 2010.

It is quite an impressive accomplishment. I think overall this has been his best season -- it's debatable offensively, but I think he has played better defense this year than last year, and perhaps better than his last few years (dWAR says yes, UZR says no, but my eyes say yes).

• 8 months later...

After starting somewhat cold on the HR front, Adam Jones has 14 home runs, knocking on the doorstep of top-10 in the AL (tied for #12). Additionally, he has 8 home runs in June, tied for the most in the MLB over the month. It seems that over the last two years there has been a bit of a rush to throw dirt on Adam Jones's season. It's not over yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if he continues his trend of tying or surpassing his prior year HR total.

Archived