Fred Manfra Doesn't Agree With Booing Strop

sfosfan

I don't get argument that Buck should have been booed. Hammel was running out of gas so the pitching change was needed. You can "shelter" a guy(Strop) but so much. At some point he needs to be able to do his job. It would be totally unfair to the other relievers, for only Strop to be immune to pressure situations.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Booing your team's own players is pointless.

If you are only a fan of players that are playing well or teams that are playing well, then what is the point? Anyone can do that. Be disappointed, frustrated, angry or whatever else, but don't boo a player on your own team because he wasn't perfect or wasn't very good.

It is not a matter of "I paid my money, I can do what I want". It is a matter of recognizing that not everyone is always going to be good at their jobs (baseball or otherwise) and not turning on them the second they don't succeed.

I never boo anyone on the teams I root for. That's not to say that I don't think paying ticket holders have the right to boo, I just don't do it personally. It seems in poor taste.

Having said that, I think I might be done with Strop. I won't boo him on the field, but I'll cheer to myself when he's gone.

Nobody said they can't. It's just poor taste.

Also, I don't know what paying money has to do with anything.

They bought their ticket to be there. Buck wasted their afternoon. I don't blame them one bit.

Maybe booing will help Buck see what most other people see with Strop.

If Strop felt like he didn't have his stuff, he should have spoke up before they took him off the DL. Blowing a game wide open that easily could have been a win because you have no business on the team, (and know you don't) is just ridiculous.

I don't get argument that Buck should have been booed. Hammel was running out of gas so the pitching change was needed. You can "shelter" a guy(Strop) but so much. At some point he needs to be able to do his job. It would be totally unfair to the other relievers, for only Strop to be immune to pressure situations.

Agree with all of this. The question is not whether Buck should have used Strop, the question is whether Strop should be on the team. If he is on the team, then there are times when he will have to be used in situations like today. If you don't think he should have been used today, then he shouldn't be on the team, and that's a perfectly reasonable position.

Pretty sure he, and all of the Orioles, care. You think these guys are just mercenaries? Most of them have devoted their lives to baseball.

I don't mean to turn this into a "money war." I don't see athletes caring much about what people who make probably a small percentage salary of their salaries think. Sure players love baseball, and they want to be successful.

A bunch of people booing them probably isn't the top of their list of concerns.

I don't mean to turn this into a "money war." I don't see athletes caring much about what people who make probably a small percentage salary of their salaries think. Sure players love baseball, and they want to be successful.

A bunch of people booing them probably isn't the top of their list of concerns.

I think it's funny when people have this perspective that athletes because they have money don't have human emotions like any other person. It's completely normal for a person to care that people are showing their distaste of you.

Agree with all of this. The question is not whether Buck should have used Strop, the question is whether Strop should be on the team. If he is on the team, then there are times when he will have to be used in situations like today. If you don't think he should have been used today, then he shouldn't be on the team, and that's a perfectly reasonable position.

I don't boo personally, but I understand why people do it. Dodger fans are bad out here. They boo when Kershaw or Greinke give up a HR and they're both GOOD pitchers.

But do either of you remember Kevin Gregg? He was a mop up guy at the end of his time with us. That is all Strop should be for us now if we are going to carry him on the roster at all. We had a rested BP and a high leverage situation. Not the time to bring in Pedro Strop. Bad decision by Buck.

Archived