Travis Ishikawa called up

claudecat

Why not play the hot hand? The guy's been raking all year and our DH's have done nothing. Give Davis a couple of days of and let him play first base.

If there is a better term for hitting, I haven't heard it.

Love it when dem Os are raking.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Dickerson may be in trouble with this move. He's been struggling of late and Ishikawa would allow Buck to rest Davis at DH occasionally and give the team a bit of a lift at first base defensively. Dickerson's 2-28 BB-K ratio is pretty bad and like others have pointed out, he's really struggled since the walk off homer.

Dickerson does give Buck an option if he wants to rest Jones occasionally against a tough right-hander, but that's so rare, it probably is not worth keeping him on the roster if the O's feel Ishikawa's bat will work better at DH against righties until Betemit returns. Ishikawa's career numbers against right-hander are ok, .266/.333/.416/.749. Honestly, he's a got a better track record than Dickerson so why not?

BTW, I think they DFA Stinson to make room, though they I believe they could also DFA Wada since no will take him and his contract while he's pitching so poorly.

I am not suprised the added the extra bat. We should be pretty good in the pitching department right now. We have Britton going tonight and have TJ as the long man. We can also put Garcia in the pen with the off day which gives us more length. We still have Garcia as a possiblity in case Hammel is still sick, Britton is awful on Tuesday, or something keeps Gonzo away for his Saturday start.

Britton Tuesday

Tilman Wed.

off Thur.

Hammell Friday

Gonzo saturday

Britton Sunday

Tilman Monday

Good points. If Hammel is better by Friday, the O's can use Garcia in long relief where he's better suited anyways.

I think Dickerson may be in trouble with this move. He's been struggling of late and Ishikawa would allow Buck to rest Davis at DH occasionally and give the team a bit of a lift at first base defensively. Dickerson's 2-28 BB-K ratio is pretty bad and like others have pointed out, he's really struggled since the walk off homer.

Dickerson does give Buck an option if he wants to rest Jones occasionally against a tough right-hander, but that's so rare, it probably is not worth keeping him on the roster if the O's feel Ishikawa's bat will work better at DH against righties until Betemit returns. Ishikawa's career numbers against right-hander are ok, .266/.333/.416/.749. Honestly, he's a got a better track record than Dickerson so why not?

I think Dickerson gives us more than Pearce. He's in a slump now, but offensively I think they're about the same. The difference is Dickerson is a good defensive player, and can play CF every now and then.

Things are going to really going to get crowded in a hurry on the roster when Reimold, Chen and Betemit come back I don't understand the Ishikawa call-up unless they are stalling a few days hoping to pull off a trade.

I think that's exactly what the plan is. I read a report that said Duquette was working on a trade this weekend. They certainly didn't want him to just walk for nothing, so now it's up to the Orioles to see what they can get for him.

I think that's exactly what the plan is. I read a report that said Duquette was working on a trade this weekend. They certainly didn't want him to just walk for nothing, so now it's up to the Orioles to see what they can get for him.

Could be a possibility. Out of Ishikawa/Dickerson and Pearce/Valencia you really only need one out of each of those pairs of players. Perhaps you shop around one of those 4 guys with Strop or Patton to a team that has either a reliever in a walk year they would part with or a AAAA reliever with options. Seems the O's are lacking in that department.

Worst case scenario is you DFA one of them if a deal cant be struck

I think Dickerson gives us more than Pearce. He's in a slump now, but offensively I think they're about the same. The difference is Dickerson is a good defensive player, and can play CF every now and then.

But the Orioles need a right-handed hitting outfielder for when they want to give McLouth a day off against lefties. Pearce has a little pop and plays an adequate left field. LJ Hoes could be some competition for him later in the year if Pearce struggles, but I don't see the Orioles keeping Dickerson over Pearce if they keep Ishikawa on the roster.

But the Orioles need a right-handed hitting outfielder for when they want to give McLouth a day off against lefties. Pearce has a little pop and plays an adequate left field. LJ Hoes could be some competition for him later in the year if Pearce struggles, but I don't see the Orioles keeping Dickerson over Pearce if they keep Ishikawa on the roster.

Right. You can always move McLouth over to CF if you are in a pinch.

Good point. I think I'd just prefer to keep Dickerson in the org. If Jones goes down for any extended time, we'll have an adequate backup. I'm not even sure we'd lose Pearce.

I wonder if DD was working on a trade of Ishikawa, but someone just said "nah, we'll get him on waivers." If so, this could be his way of call a bluff.

I don't see any merit to leaving Ishikawa on the roster for any stretch. His bat is so putrid that it's not worth his excellent defense and an occasional start at 1B or serving as a defensive replacement, considering Davis plays solid defense.

Since Buck very recently was terrified of overusing his bullpen to the point of using Strop and costing us a win, we should be calling up a bullpen guy. Don't like this move. Release Ishikawa and move on. He's not a major league player.

Wasn't Travis the International League player of the MONTH for May? His bat was just fine in AAA- certainly a better bat for DH than anyone else we've tried. Dickerson stays as a fourth outfielder, Travis will stick around as a DH/1B backup, and either Pearce or Valencia will go.

O's do have a hole versus righthand pitching at DH. Problem is Ishikawa all most never DHs. He has shown the ability to hit for average at times and drive in runs but his Slug Pct and OPS are not likely to be good.

I could see him staying until Reimold is ready. Taking Pearce spot after Gonzo is back. But overall its a short term move in all probability.

Unlike Valencia (who hadn't really DH'd in his career up until now), I doubt Ishi will DH at all this season. If he plays, he'll play 1B and let Davis DH. Chris Davis has been fine at 1B... better than a lot of people expected... but there's no reason to start him over Ishikawa.

This very well could be the case. The whole situation is a little tricky for all of the reasons mentioned in the thread already. Since McLouth can play CF, we could certainly get rid of Dickerson especially given our OF depth in the minors. Yet, Buck may see one of Valencia and Pearce as the odd man out since they're both primarily used as a right-handed bat.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out but I'm happy to have Ishikawa up here if only for a little taste to see what he can do.

Unlike Valencia (who hadn't really DH'd in his career up until now), I doubt Ishi will DH at all this season. If he plays, he'll play 1B and let Davis DH. Chris Davis has been fine at 1B... better than a lot of people expected... but there's no reason to start him over Ishikawa.

Except for the fact that Chris has earned a spot playing the field and he's made it clear that's what he wants to do. Even though I see Davis as a "team guy", I could also see him getting a touch perturbed if he's DHed more than a blip here and there.

Chris Davis has been good at 1B and Buck won't do more than spot Ishikawa over there for a few games at a time.

Archived