Possible Interest in Scott Kazmir

orioles4lyfe

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The following story was written recently about Kazmir;

http://www.examiner.com/article/scott-kazmir-represents-more-reward-than-risk

We only need to get 42 more innings out of him to hit 200. He made 29 starts last season. If we use him as a #4 or #5 starter 180

+ innings should be okay.

That is far easier said than done for Kazmir. On his career, he has averaged just a tick below 17 outs ( 5 2/3 IP) per start. Last season he averaged 16.34 outs per start. If he were to get 32 starts in 2014, which is average for a non-#1 making every start, he would have to average 18.75 outs per start. There is no reason to believe that Kazmir will be able to get more than two more outs per start over his career and 2013 averages. 180 IP is a tad more realistic but even then he'd have to do better than he did in 2013 and take the ball every 5th day. I am not overly concerned with innings pitched if the results are good, but I think its a stretch to suggest that adding 42 innings to his 2013 IP total would be relatively easy to do.

A's are in agreement with Scott. Announcement soon.

Yeah, Rosenthal tweeted that a few minutes ago.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sources: <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Athletics&src=hash">#Athletics</a> close to signing free-agent LHP Scott Kazmir.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">December 2, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I am glad Kazmir is going elsewhere. I like him well enough, but am afraid we would miscast him and slot him behind Tillman, when he is more suited for the back of the rotation.

Of the free agent starters available, the ones that interest me are Ubaldo Jimenez depending on the contract and Bartolo Colon for a year.

I am glad Kazmir is going elsewhere. I like him well enough, but am afraid we would miscast him and slot him behind Tillman, when he is more suited for the back of the rotation.

Of the free agent starters available, the ones that interest me are Ubaldo Jimenez depending on the contract and Bartolo Colon for a year.

Interesting the As said no to Colon and got Kazmir instead.

Archived